What's new

The Good Wife season 2 thread (1 Viewer)

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
It was very well done and I have really have no idea how it will continue to play out. I was expecting her to have a confrontation with Kalinda this episode, but I guess that may be next week or later. You could just see when she was watching Kalinda in this episode that she was just dreading any interaction.

At the end of the episode it was interesting how Peter perked up when Carey said he had a bad relationship with Alicia. Just what does Peter have in mind?

What kind of cliffhanger will this season end with?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I usually wait to weigh in on shows when season DVD or Blu-ray box sets come up for review, but I have to say I thought this was a magnificent episode. I have watched it twice through already. The scenes with Alicia confronting Peter, Jackie, her kids, and Eli were all so brilliantly written and performed that I was simply in awe (and that's not discounting her work representing her client facing off against formidible opponents). I hope this is the Emmy submission episode for Julianna.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
They are playing this as close to perfect as they can. Anger is really ruling a lot of Alicia's decisions.. and for a while, Kalinda was OK to beat herself up over it. And at a point, I think, Alicia's attitude just went too far. Kalinda's willingness to say: do not torture me for this will either work itself out or they will stay at a loggerhead.

The case of the week was interesting, but it was mainly a backdrop for the movement between the characters. I have no idea what Grandma thinks she's stumbled onto; but I think we'll find out in short order.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The ironic thing is that Alicia risks losing her children because she's trying to protect their opinion of their father. It would be easy to just tell the kids, "We're getting separated because your dad fucked my best friend." But Alicia doesn't want to poison the well.

Unfortunately, events probably aren't going to give her much choice. Jackie is on Team Peter 100 percent. He's her golden child; he walks on water and can do no wrong. She's probably suspicious of that Indian woman who hangs around her daughter-in-law anyway, so she would easily justify Peter sleeping with Kalinda. She couldn't understand the friendship Kalinda shared with Alicia, and what it meant to both of them. At the end of the day, she couldn't care less.

But the hints Jackie's dropping, and Alicia's unwillingness to fill in the blanks, risk turning Grace and Zach against her.

Meanwhile, it looks like we're finally going to see Will and Alicia together. It couldn't come at a less opportune time; if Grace and Zach fill in the blanks as Alicia having an affair with Will being the reason for the separation, her home life shatters.

This was probably the best performance I've seen from Sarah Silverman. It was very much within her wheelhouse, but it stretched her in a way that her roles don't usually require from her. We've seen that with past guest stars, too; Miranda Cosgrove springs to mind as one who could have played her role the obvious way but did something different with it. This show is a great stomping ground for real acting. They schedule shooting to accommodate Broadway performers, which is why Alan Cumming agreed to sign on. But it also means that we get really great day players from the working class of Broadway talent.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Another great episode. Kalinda crying in the elevator was a great scene. And then when she cracks up when she found that her new job would be working for Peter it was just great and turned her around again. I agree that Alicia seems to have gone a bit too far as well in her anger, but we'll see how it all plays out.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
A great season finale. The ending there with them getting a $7800 room, though, just shows that they live a different world.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It shows Will lives in another world, anyway.

My favorite reveal was that Peter was the one who leaked the glove. It speaks volumes about the way he's operating; whatever animus he has toward Alica, it won't prevent him from making the smart play.

It was also fascinating seeing Kalinda's reaction when she found out the other P.I. was married. After seeing what it did to Alicia, she doesn't want to be part of any adultery any more.

And of course, Eli's going to be part of Team Lockhart/Gardner now. That'll be interesting, especially if Alicia's job becomes getting Peter elected governor.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

My favorite reveal was that Peter was the one who leaked the glove. It speaks volumes about the way he's operating; whatever animus he has toward Alica, it won't prevent him from making the smart play.

It was also fascinating seeing Kalinda's reaction when she found out the other P.I. was married. After seeing what it did to Alicia, she doesn't want to be part of any adultery any more.

And of course, Eli's going to be part of Team Lockhart/Gardner now. That'll be interesting, especially if Alicia's job becomes getting Peter elected governor.
In addition, Peter being able to leak the glove shows that someone there wanted to get on his good side and keep a job when he came in. Why Childs was withholding the glove in the first place is a mystery, unless it was someone who had a grudge with him and wanted him to look bad.

Kalinda showing regret was quite interesting. I don't think that Alicia told her that she found out from Cary's detective. Cary doesn't know either. I wonder if they'll find out that next season and what their reaction will be.

The whole governor campaign with them wanting her to be "the good wife" while they are separated in secret, is going to put another level of tension on the whole thing.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I had to do a double-take when I saw Kelli Giddish on this episode. She's got screen presence to burn, too bad her own show "Chase" got canned, hopefully she'll find more steady work.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
The Good Wife has been renewed, but it has been moved to Sunday nights at 9 PM (or rather some undetermined time when it actually starts during football season). Trying to watch/record shows on CBS on Sunday nights in football season is so frustrating - I had hoped not to be subjected to that again. Well, better some pain than not having the show at all. [That would be a minor upside if the football season got canceled.]

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by NeilO

The Good Wife has been renewed, but it has been moved to Sunday nights at 9 PM (or rather some undetermined time when it actually starts during football season). Trying to watch/record shows on CBS on Sunday nights in football season is so frustrating - I had hoped not to be subjected to that again. Well, better some pain than not having the show at all. [That would be a minor upside if the football season got canceled.]

I think from CBS's perspective it puts it up against an aging franchise (Desperate Housewives) instead of one it shares a nearly identical audience with (Parenthood). I admit, I love both "The Good Wife" and "Parenthood" and welcome the two being split - and in a debate between "Good Wife" and "Desperate Housewives" it's not even a contest. While pay cable is strong on Sunday nights traditionally, that isn't a giant slice of the potential audience so not a bad move on CBS's part.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think it's a very good move on CBS' part. Cold Case did very well shuffled around various timeslots on Sunday for many years. It's just a frustrating move for me in terms of DVR programming, but thankfully, Time-Warner has free HD On Demand for the CBS/Paramount shows, so I'll watch The Good Wife one day late through that very convenient service until football season is over.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Not my favorite episode, but a good season closer.

Peter's actions I also took as speaking to his honesty as Atty General: he's interested in justice in addition to other motives.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I am curious, how many times did we see Lockhart/Gardner defend an actual guilty client?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks