What's new

The Good Thief vs. Bob le Flambeur? (1 Viewer)

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I saw The Good Thief in theaters and really liked it, picked up the DVD when it came out and have revisited the title several times. I've never seen Bob le Flambeur, but have been considering a blind buy on the Criterion release for some time now. Anyone have any input on the comparison? Thanks.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I've seen both, though it's been awhile. I can't give you a comprehensive rundown on the differences between the two films, but I can say that I prefer Bob le Flambeur and that if you like these kinds of movies, it's a safe blind buy. Go for it.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Bob le Flambeur is much grittier than The Good Thief.

It is also, in my opinion, of course, much better. Not that I don’t like The Good Thief, but it does not reach the benchmark set by its predecessor.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Steve & Lew,

There are many differences between the two. Without giving anything away the remake lacks the proper ironic ending of the original.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the other camp, I prefer The Good Thief. Bob le Flambeur is certainly grittier (low budget), while Good Thief is much slicker. The main actor in Bob le Flambeur, Roger Duchesne, was outstanding, but the rest of the cast didn't do much for me. I definitely prefer the very strong European cast that surrounded Nolte in The Good Thief.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks