What's new

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (1 Viewer)

Josh Davidson

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked this up and I did a search and found that a SE was in the works several months ago. Is it still going to be released and when? I've never seen this movie and I think I can wait a few more months if a new edition is coming out. Also, I learned that this is the last of 3 in a trilogy and that the first two are not anamorphic. Will these be released as well?

Lastly, I was wondering if I should watch them in order instead of viewing GBU first.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
A Special Edition is definitely in the works, (John Cork, the guy who helped put together the Bond S.E's from MGM, is currently involved with the new UGLY DVD, as are a few other people), but there's been no official announcements and you'll probably be waiting more than a few months. I've heard nothing about MGM revisiting A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS and A FEW DOLLARS MORE though.

It's a GREAT movie though. Based on what I've heard will be happening with the new disc, you might like to become familiar with this current DVD presentation first. You'll be in a better position to enjoy/dislike the new disc if the print turns out to be 'different', which could very well be on the cards...

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Last fall I was at a screening of the re-mastered "Night of the Hunter" and the host was one of the members of the film restoration team that is also working on "The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly". He stated that the film needed a lot of work and that it would probably be some time before it sees the light of day. They were trying to find voice actors to redo some of the lines that were damaged on the original sound recordings and there were many other problems with the picture. From the sound of it, I would guess that it will be at least another year.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Josh, the print on the current one is acceptable for a film of GBU's age. I don't know how much you paid for it, but my dad got it for 10 bucks, so it's not much money to worry about. I watched it without having seen either of the first two and had no problems. I'm not sure, but I think that the three just have Clint Eastwood's "Man with no name" character in common, and aren't a trilogy in terms of one continuous plot in the Star Wars sense, for example.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
From what I've read GBU is the "prequel" of the three, wherein Blondie gets his trademark serape in the last scene of GBU.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
I think the current dvd looks quite ok both for a dvd that old and a movie that old, so I can't really understand what
they mean with needing a lot of work!
I recall that Eastwood had newly recorded new lines for the
"deleted" scenes which was only in Italian in the supplements
of the current dvd.
Interesting, there is a german "director's cut" with the
deleted scenes inserted! but then again, in Germany they
tend to dub everything to German...

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Richardl
that is true indeed. I recently bought She Wore a Yellow Ribbon from amazon.de which it was possible to switch to English instead of listening to German
:D
Update
Josh
It is a fantastic movie with a great ending, truly one of the best movies Clint Eastwood has ever done imo
:emoji_thumbsup:

Butch C

Second Unit
There is absolutly no need to watch the films in order but put the disk in the player as soon as damn possible!!!!!! You will thank us if you have one ounce of testesterone flowing through your veins!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
GBU has obsolutely nothing to do with the Fistfull movies. The guy that played the other bounty hunter in Few Dollars More played a completely different character in GBU, so they can't be related.

Obviosly, A Few Dollars More is the sequel to A Fistfull of Dollars, so you should probably watch them in order. But GBU is totally seperate.

Btw- Great F***ing Movie!

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
Lee Van Cleef (sp?) aka Angel Eyes. Yes, I thought that he played a different character in the Dollar movies since hedied at the end of GBU. So his character couldn't be the same if GBU was a prequel

Spoiler put in "just in case".

GBU, one of my top 10 favorite movies. Must have seen it over 30 times on TV alone. Tops of the spagetti westerns IMHO.

Bob

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I recall that Eastwood had newly recorded new lines for the "deleted" scenes which was only in Italian in the supplements of the current dvd.
It's too bad they didn't record these lines years ago while Lee Van Cleef was still with us.

-Lyle J.P.

Brian SK

Auditioning
The current release is acceptable and it is MGM also so i am shocked it even looks as good as it does! No need to watch the first 2 in the trilogy before watching the Ugly. All of the 3 are independent of each other. Glad to hear they are working on a SE. Speaking of Eastwood WHERE EAGLES DARE ON DVD ??? Hear about it, but that is where it stops.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Great movie. Great cinematography. I had the oppurtunity to see this in a theatre, Oh My Goodness, if you get the chance to see this in a theatre, by all means, JUMP at the chance. It's a totally different movie.

Does anyone know when/if "Once upon a time in the WEST" (Sergio Leone's 'other' great western) is coming out? Is this an MGM or a Paramount property?

Nathan

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know when/if "Once upon a time in the WEST" (Sergio Leone's 'other' great western) is coming out? Is this an MGM or a Paramount property?
It's being worked on by Paramount, no date yet. I don't expect it till Nov/Dec at the earliest.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Sheesh, another gratuitous slam at MGM....they've been quietly releasing a lot of very fine discs the last few years, despite a few missteps like Jean de Florette.

PaulEB

Stunt Coordinator
The Good The Bad and The Ugly is playing at The Brattle Theater this weekebd in Cambridsge, MA for anyone interested.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I F**kin love GBU. I saw it before I saw the other two Dollars films. No need to see them in order.
I had no idea they were working on an Se of GBU though. I need to change my shorts now.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
All time greats IMHO
Stagecoach 1939
High Noon 1952
Shane 1953
Rio Bravo 1959
The Magnificent Seven 1960
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly 1966
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid 1969
Little Big Man 1970
The Outlaw Josey Wales 1976
Silverado 1985
and a bunch of others that make that almost made this list.
Of these, Good Bad Ugly and Rio Bravo are a toss up for my personal favorites, each for very different reasons.
A remastered re-release is just begging to be made available on this title. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks