Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Any word on what's included?.
Shout Factory just announced the extras on their Facebook page:

Shout Factory said:
The Good Place: The Complete Series is coming to Collector's Edition Blu-ray in May! There's a forkin' great list of bonus features to go along with this brilliant comedy series listed below.

Order your Blu-ray here: https://bit.ly/GoodPlaceBD

BONUS FEATURES:

- Extended Episodes
- Audio Commentary On The Season One Episode "Everything Is Fine/Flying" With Creator Michael Schur, Executive Producer Drew Goddard, And Co-Stars Jameela Jamil And D'Arcy Carden
- Audio Commentary On The Season One Episode "Mindy St. Claire/Michael's Gambit" With Creator Michael Schur, Executive Producer Drew Goddard, And Co-Stars Jameela Jamil And D'Arcy Carden
- Audio Commentary On The Season Two Episode "Dance Dance Resolution" With Creator Michael Schur, Executive Producer Drew Goddard, Producer Megan Amram, And Actor Ted Danson
- Finale Special Hosted By Seth Meyers
- 2019 San Diego Comic-Con Panel
- Gag Reels
- Visual Effects Reels
- Table Read For The Season One Episode "Mindy St. Claire"
Noticeably missing is the Paley Center special from before the final season premiere.

Last edited:
Reactions: TravisR

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It just occurred to me that "The Selection" digital series of short webisodes that preceded season 4 is not included on the list of bonus features. That's a weird omission.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
It just occurred to me that "The Selection" digital series of short webisodes that preceded season 4 is not included on the list of bonus features. That's a weird omission.
Maybe the webisodes would cost them more money to include? That's apparently what happened to the webisodes of Battlestar Galactica when they weren't included on those discs.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Maybe the webisodes would cost them more money to include?
I have no idea how that sort of thing works, but it is unfortunate. The Selection is directly related to the storytelling between the end of season 3 and the beginning of season 4, so purely from a narrative standpoint it is an important inclusion. It's entirely possible that you're right here -- I wonder, perhaps, if Shout Factory's deal with Universal Television to distribute the series does not include digital exclusive content, of which The Selection is the only piece. But whatever the case it kind of sucks for those to be absent. It's not going to ruin the entire package or anything, but it does make this collection slightly less complete than it would be with their inclusion.

That being said, I'm still very much looking forward to purchasing this. In an unusually extremely packed month of new releases, this is easily the thing I'm most looking forward to getting in May. Only 35 days to go until May 19. Not that I'm counting or anything. ;)

Last edited:

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
I have no idea how that sort of thing works, but it is unfortunate. The Selection is directly related to the storytelling between the end of season 3 and the beginning of season 4, so purely from a narrative standpoint it is an important inclusion.
For BSG, the webisodes were very important to building up to a character's actions later in the season that followed them so I know what you mean.

Like you said, it's not a deal breaker for me but it is disappointing. I guess I just have to hope that they remain on You Tube for eternity. :)

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It was. Now I'm really glad I put off buying those DVDs. Patience really does pay off sometimes.
(More generally).

On the other side of the coin, there's also a dark side if this becomes a definitive habit / pattern of the hardcore crowd.

If too many of the hardcore tv on dvd/bluray crowd is holding off on buying season sets and waiting for a complete series set (whether dvd or bluray), it might possibly lead to a premature demise of future season sets not being released at all for current/future shows. Then it would be completely dependent on whether Mill Creek or Shout! Factory decides whether a complete series bluray set is viable on a market, where they have no idea what the demand is for such a product.

I don't know about Mill Creek. I suspect if Shout! Factory has too many tv on bluray flops from misreading the market, it might possibly lead to them exiting the tv on dvd/bluray market sooner. (I don't know if Mill Creek is willing to take up the slack of tv on bluray complete series sets that Shout! Factory and others decline in the future).

WhitneyG

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Whitney
I bought the set and have mostly good news about it. It has all known extended cuts for the episodes... except for Chapters 1 (Everything is Fine) and 13 (Michael’s Gambit).

There are no known extended versions for Chapters 2 (Flying), 12 (Mindy St. Claire), 14-15 (Everything is Great), 27-28 (Everything is Bronzer), and 46 (Help is Other People), so those are broadcast length as expected.

The UK Blu-Ray sets have all known extended versions for seasons 1 & 2, except for Chapters 16 (Dance Dance Resolution) and 22 (Leap to Faith). Season 3 in the UK set does not contain extended versions. The US Blu-Ray set has all known extended versions for all seasons, except for Chapters 1 (Everything is Fine) and 13 (Michael’s Gambit). So if you want all the extended episodes on disc, you'd need to buy both the US complete series Blu-Ray set and the UK first season Blu-Ray set.

The video and audio quality is solid. The video bitrate appears to be quite high (e.g., typially about 4.5-5.5 GB per episode just for the video), and the audio comes in two flavors: DTS and DTS-HD MA.

I am disappointed that they didn't include two of the extended episodes from season 1, but otherwise I am extremely happy with this set.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I am disappointed that they didn't include two of the extended episodes from season 1
I get what you are saying, but I would at least like to think that they released what Mike Schur wanted to have released. Of course, I have no proof of this at all but one would hope that he was involved in the decision-making around this set since it's his creation.

I'm a big fan of the show but I don't have the memory to recall what's different between the NBC versions and the extended versions, so while in theory it would be nice to have the extended versions, in practice I doubt I'd notice much. I'm just really glad to have a Blu-ray release of this that I didn't have to import.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Amazon has dropped the price of the complete series box set to $5.99 (yes, really.)

Amazon product
This is obviously some sort of price error on their part, but they appear to be letting it go through.

Edit: Amazon caught the error and took it down, so the deal's dead now. Sorry for getting anyone's hopes up.

Edit #2: It's back again with the $5.99 price point.

Edit #3: The deal appears to be gone again.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ree