What's new

Broadcast TV The Good Place Season 4 - Final Season (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYpWDJHHYN

I'm new to this thread but did quickly parse earlier posts before adding this one. I have been travelling and so haven't yet seen the final episode. I watched only a few seconds of this particular clip because I suspect it contains spoilers. My apologies if it has already been seen by most of you.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYpWDJHHYN

I'm new to this thread but did quickly parse earlier posts before adding this one. I have been travelling and so haven't yet seen the final episode. I watched only a few seconds of this particular clip because I suspect it contains spoilers. My apologies if it has already been seen by most of you.

This looks like the really short aftershow that was broadcast as part of the final 1.5 hours time slot.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yes, that's exactly what it is. There are spoilers in it because it was devised to be aired after the episode.

I think it's pretty clear what happened here. When the finale clocked in at 50 minutes before commercials, NBC needed to add that to the final half hour so that it could be padded out to a 90-minute total running time. A 50-minute finale would only have left the 10 minutes of commercial time if it was aired in an hour-long block, and of course that wasn't feasible. So this was created to fill out the rest of the time once they added in the normal commercial load to the finale.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Mike Schur explains that in the final episode of The Good Place The Podcast. :)

Also...the final two episodes of the podcast were wonderful, with Mike Schur talking about the show in toto, and the conclusion, and the stripes on Eleanor’s shirt, and terrible puns.

And one last chance to hear Marc Evan Jackson say, “This [forking] show!”

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It would be nice if the podcasts were archived on the Blu-ray release as bonus features. I doubt it, but it would be nice to have them all there as part of the package.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
It would be nice if the podcasts were archived on the Blu-ray release as bonus features. I doubt it, but it would be nice to have them all there as part of the package.
Just make sure to download them all to your own personal archive just in case ...

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Of course it's not The Good Place, but I thought this thread was worth a bump for those interested in it because NBC announced today the premiere of Mr. Mayor, which is Ted Danson's new show. That will air Thursdays at 8pm beginning January 7.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm bumping this thread again because I just found out that Mike Schur (the creator of The Good Place) wrote a book on morality.

How to Be Perfect: The Correct Answer to Every Moral Question was published on January 25 in both hardcover and audiobook formats. The audio version is narrated by Mike Schur as well as Kristen Bell (Eleanor), D'Arcy Carden (Janet), Ted Danson (Michael), William Jackson Harper (Chidi), Manny Jacinto (Jason), Marc Evan Jackson (Shawn), Jameela Jamil (Tahani) and Todd May (one of the show's philosophical consultants.)

I haven't actually gotten this yet -- I literally just found out that it exists -- but I've got to say, I'm very tempted to do so.

How to Be Perfect.jpg
Also, Jameela Jamil wrote a memoir called Shame which has a listed publication date of August 15, 2022.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wanted to post an update because I downloaded the audiobook and just spent the last few hours listening to the introduction and the first three chapters.

It is basically a book about philosophy for people who probably won't read a philosophy textbook. Because Mike Schur is a comedy writer, he brings that tone to the book. There are lots of lines in here that will make you laugh. The examples he comes up with to illustrate certain moral problems are often funny, and he keeps the book lively and interesting.

However, it is about the ethics, and he doesn't skimp on the research just to make a joke. This is something with more detail and academic rigor than would be possible in a sitcom format because, here, it's not about a story that can be told in 20-odd minutes for network television. There is more space for Schur to elaborate on the actual philosophical issues that he learned about while making the show.

The situations on the show are mentioned a couple times, and even when it doesn't deal with the show, fans will recognize the concepts because they were dealt with in the show. But it is not a book about the show or the making of the show. So far, I'm finding it really additive to the show because Schur is able to discuss these difficult concepts with more detail than a network sitcom would allow. If you want more information about the ideas raised in the show, this is for you. If you want more information about the show itself or how it was made, this is not the book for you.

Also, I want to underscore that Mike Schur himself is the primary narrator for the audio version. Ted Danson reads the chapter titles, and the various actors from the show are sprinkled throughout reading the occasional quote (such as from a philosopher being discussed) or aside that would benefit from more focus. If you're buying the audio just to hear the stars read to you extensively, this is not that. They are sprinkled throughout in small doses. The cover artwork saying it is read by the author "with" the others is right. They basically make fun little cameos where appropriate.

I think the book is correctly advertised, but I suspected Schur would use the storylines from the show more often than he does. He does say that it's okay to read the book if you haven't seen the show and thus far has kept to that. So there aren't a ton of references to the show that wouldn't make sense to non-fans. That being said, I do think that fans of the show are much more likely to want to pick this up than somebody who didn't see the show. I am bringing more memories of the show to my engagement with the text than Schur does, if that makes sense. If you're wanting a spoiler discussion of how these ideas are used in the show, go to the podcast episodes. If you want a more detailed explanation of these ideas with the same style of humor used in the show, I think you're going to like this.

I absolutely would recommend it to anyone who is interested in it, but I think it is important to understand that it is a book about ethics using the information Schur gained from working on The Good Place. It is not a book about The Good Place.

So, take that as you will. But I do recommend it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks