1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Good Place - Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jake Lipson, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

joshEH, NeilO, TravisR and 1 other person like this.
  2. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
  3. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Chad Erickson and DaveF like this.
  4. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    One of the best episodes of the season and a sure bet to bring Darcy a supporting actress Emmy nomination if she's smart enough to submit it for nomination. Loved every minute of it.l

5. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Of course she'll submit it. I can't imagine why she wouldn't. If this episode had aired prior to Golden Globe nominations, she would probably have one. This is the kind of episode that is a high point of an actor's career.

Although I am delighted that the Globes recognized the show, and Kristin, this morning, the other actors on the show who aren't big names like Kristin Bell and Ted Danson tend to be overlooked, when in fact they are just as essential to the show working as well as it does. The show really makes excellent use of its entire ensemble, and this certainly was a standout episode for D'Arcy Carden in every sense.

Also, what a sensational but rude cliffhanger ending. I don't want to wait until January to see what's next, which is exactly why leaving it there was so brilliant.

TravisR and Matt Hough like this.
  6. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I agree with you. The ensemble is essential for this show to work, and the "non-stars" don't get enough credit.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  7. sidburyjr

sidburyjr Second Unit

Dick Sidbury
    Holy forking shirtballs. Best. Episode. Ever. Maybe.

Has anyone here ever wondered how long this show can possibly last at it's current creative level?
    And assuming that the show takes place in the "present" who got in to the good place in 1497? I don't know enough about any of the following to make an educated guess: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1497#Deaths

8. Message #108 of 115 Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    Poor Matt in Accounting. He's seen some weird forking shirt.

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

That was my thought as well: This is D'Arcy Carden's Emmy submission.

I figured we wouldn't get to that particular moment until the last episode of the series; maybe the finale scene of the penultimate episode. Once again, I find myself having no idea of what's going to happen next.

I'm going to go with the composer Johannes Ockeghem, as a tip of the hat to our dearly missed late fellow forum member, Scott Atwell. Ockeghem was the focus of much of Scott's scholarly writings, and his handle on these message boards.

Craig S, TravisR and Jake Lipson like this.
  10. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I would have been very upset if that had been the case because, after the admittedly genius fake-out of the first season, I think they really need to show us what the actual Good Place is like, and how it differs from Michael's fake conception of it in the first season. However, that doesn't necessarily mean our core group has to stay there for the entire remainder of the series. I would expect nothing lees than for the show to continue reinventing itself until the day they choose to come to the end of their story.

We know it's roughly the present in the Earth timeline because the Judge referenced The Greatest Showman this year, among other things. However, given the Jeremy Beraimy of it all as established in episode five this year for how time works on the other side, we can't be 100% sure if he was referring to Earth years or afterlife years. They really should clarify this.

Also, how long has Mindy St. Claire been in her Medium Place? Was the system tampered with when she did not get into either place, or was it tampered with, perhaps, as a result of the Bad Place being pissed that they failed to get her outright? It would be nice to see them circle back to this. And why doesn't Mindy have a Neutral Janet?

11. NeilO

NeilO Producer

It was also close to the present due to the reference to the Jaguars being good in the 2017/18 football season due to Michael changing Jason's timeline.

joshEH and Jake Lipson like this.
  12. Message #112 of 115 Dec 10, 2018 at 8:13 PM
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018 at 10:01 PM
    DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I’ve thought the past few episodes were a bit more Medium Place than Good Place. But this mid-season “finale” was stupendous! It’s eveything I love and hope for out of The Good Place. Absolutely marvelous! And it was so nice giving Darcy Carden a glorious episode to herself. And she pulled it off! I wholly bought into the tension between Chidi and Eleanor, even as Carden is playing them both!

Love it!

joshEH, NeilO and Jake Lipson like this.
  13. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
  14. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Not to complicate the search for the last person to get into the Good Place but didn't Eleanor, a modern woman (by our standards), say she had been rattling around in Michael's various versions of the Good Place for 300 years?

15. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Those were never the true Good Place. During Season 1 (and the various reboots in season 2), Eleanor, Chidi, Jason and Tahani were all in the Bad Place as designed to appear to Eleanor and the others as though it was the Good Place as part of Michael's experiment in human torture. We've never seen the actual Good Place yet, and none of our core characters have previously been there. Michael's discovery means that no humans have gotten into the actual really-for-real genuine-article Good Place in five centuries. Michael's Fake Good Place does not count as a real one.