1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Good Place - Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jake Lipson, Jun 19, 2018.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Larry is my favorite Hemsworth!

TravisR likes this.
  2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I was a bit anxious with the Trevor episodes. I was concerned that was going to be the season, and Trevor was too annoying to make for a good sustaining season arc.

I'd forgotten how much The Good Place can pack into an episode, how it is modern TV and has no need to spend 22 hours on 30 minutes of character arc, how it can rocket through to new and interesting ideas episode to episode. And Season 3 seems to be going wholeheartedly in this direction.

This latest episode was amazing, both funny and doing whiplash-unexpected things!

3. Message #43 of 91 Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    "We're technically supposed to shut down the bank if anyone from Florida even walks in."

...Dayum.

DaveF and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  4. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The interesting thing about Eleanor is that she only seems to discover genuine virtue in extremis, when all hope for reward has disappeared.

joshEH and Jake Lipson like this.
  5. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    "All my life, this money has been a weight around my neck - like the Heart of the Ocean necklace my friend James Cameron once gave me"

And doing good for others in spite of knowing it offers no hope for themselves may ironically end up redeeming them anyway.

TravisR, joshEH and Jake Lipson like this.
  6. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I think that depends on whether the Judge's irritation with Michael and Janet extends to also being annoyed with the human, who are really blameless in Michael's meddling. It all depends on her mood when they eventually die again. as to whether she will count their selfless actions now as reason to admit them to the actual Good Place.

7. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Also:

"Jeremy Bearimy"

Great that we finally got an explanation for how the flow of time works on the other side compared to Earth, and Chidi's chili-pot of nihilism was incredible.

Jake Lipson and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  8. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    The episode began a little slowly as I thought maybe they were going to run with the CIA storyline of Michael's, but loved the satisfying way things took off after that.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  9. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Serious question: Who else completely forgot about Larry Hemsworth until the end of the episode?

Tahani obviously did.

I'm sure this was by design, but I'm surprised at how effective it was, considering that the party in the last episode was for their engagement.

NeilO, DaveF, Greg.K and 2 others like this.
  10. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Here's how great this show is: Since it started, there have been countless moments where I've said to myself, what about this or what about that, or how will they keep this going, and inevitably the very next week, the show has answered my question by taking things in a new and unexpected direction.

This week they did it within the episode. Literally at the very moment when I was asking out loud why there was a dot over the "I."

What amazes me is how they take concepts that other shows would milk for at least half a season and run through them in satisfying ways over the course of a single episode. While it does help that they program short seasons, they could have easily done a whole season of the alternate plans Michael came up with last year, and instead, they just burned them off and moved on. This season, the study-group could have easily carried an entire season, and while they're still together, they turned the concept on its head TWICE.

TravisR, Greg.K and Jake Lipson like this.
  11. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Yeah, I think if this were operating like a more normal network show, they probably would've gotten to a point of having to do The Good Place-is-actually-The-Bad Place reveal somewhere around now after having dragged that out for two seasons. Thankfully these writers are smarter than that.

12. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    Understandable considering that Larry is the most forgettable of the Hemsworth brothers.

joshEH, DaveF, TravisR and 1 other person like this.
  13. Message #53 of 91 Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    Outstanding. Just, wow. Literally laughing and gasping out loud.

“They’re easy to kill. Their bodies are very poorly made. It’s mostly goo and juice. You just take the juice out and then they’re dead.”

“What’s the dot?”
    “Oh, that’s Tuesday.”
    “It’s also when nothing never happens.”

Chidi’s lecture was a spellbinding moment of education and plot twist. I was trying to figure out what was happening with the characters. I understood that, in the depth of existential crisis, each was finding a new path; mostly to personal redemption. But I didn’t grasp they were each living out a distinct philosophy. Really wonderful in the construction.

I kinda wish there was a fifth character to have found hedonism, which I’ve read is step following nihilism.

Also, I missed Simone. I hope she’s still in the mix.

14. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    More concisely: Philoso-fi at its finest.

15. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I can't wait to see what Tahani says to Larry next week.

"I found out I've been to hell and I'm doomed to go back there, so I forgot about our engagementd and married Jason to give him money I don't want because nothing matters anymore" doesn't seem like it would work.

16. Message #56 of 91 Oct 20, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I’m now thinking maybe Eleanor was becoming a hedonist - if a surly one - in the bar with her “birthday” margaritas before tumbling into deontology?

17. Scott-S

Scott-S Cinematographer
    Supporter

Scott
    This show has slowly bubbled to the top of my list of favorite shows. I am glad to see Janet get to be more involved but I do miss her cacti.

I agree with most here that one of the best things is I have no idea where this is going.

18. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Between Season 2 and now they started an official podcast which was discussing each chapter in the first two seasons and now appears to have caught up to the current season. (Note that is does contain spoilers for the first two seasons right off the bat.) I just found out about it and started listening to it. As could be expected, it is quite fascinating.
    https://www.nbc.com/the-good-place/exclusives/tgp-podcast

DaveF, Chad Erickson and joshEH like this.
  19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    “One day out of the blue, Pamela Hieronymi, a professor at U.C.L.A., got an email from Schur, asking if she would speak to him about ethics. Hieronymi is not a TV watcher and had no idea who Schur was, but she agreed, and they ended up talking for three hours, largely about whether it is possible to become a good person by trying — about how intention and motivation color our moral behavior. Hieronymi was impressed by Schur’s earnestness and curiosity. It was clear that he didn’t just want to make jokes about philosophy; he wanted to actually understand the ideas. Eventually, Schur asked Hieronymi to join the show as a “consulting philosopher” — surely a first in sitcom history. Later he brought on Todd May, the author of that slim book about death. The consultants spoke not only to Schur but also to the writers’ room, giving lectures on existentialism and the famous thought experiment known as the Trolley Problem, ideas which were later woven into the show. All of which is to say “The Good Place” is not about philosophy in the way that “The Big Bang Theory” is about science — as a set of clichés to tap for silly jokes. A sitcom is not a grad school seminar, obviously, so the philosophy is highly abridged. But it is not insubstantial, and philosophical ideas actually determine and shape the plot.”

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/10/04/magazine/good-place-michael-schur-philosophy.html

20. NeilO

NeilO Producer

It seems a bit ironic that ever since the episode where an impact of the Michael's changes to Jason's timeline were to make the Jaguars good (the 2017/2018 football season), their fortunes have reversed themselves. Blake Bortles was even benched during a game last week.