What's new

The Good Place - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
Great finale, with the absolutely perfect ending.

My only issue is:
In the first season, it was established that the neighborhood was a construct that restored pre-Babel conditions before humanity was confounded by geographic distance and different languages. Even though Eleanor heard Chidi as speaking American English, he was actually speaking French, his native tongue after spending the vast majority of his life in Senegal.

Just because someone is speaking French, it doesn't mean that they can't speak English.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
I wonder how Jason will react to, and what the writers will do with, the Jags success this season....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That was a delightful series finale. :) I'm looking forward to seeing how the gang gets back together. I hope this doesn't sideline Michael and Janet for the story.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
A point I addressed in the remainder of my post.
I don't have an issue with Chidi speaking English, I have an issue with Chidi speaking English with a perfect American accent.
Sepinwall mentioned this in his review, but it could just be a "Hunt for Red October"-type of thing where the actor uses whatever accent onscreen in the moment, but it's supposed to be actually be "Russian" (or, in this case, Senegalese/French).

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Finally watched the the last two episodes last week. I was very pleased with how it wrapped up for the season and I have no idea where they are going from here.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'm bumping this thread because Entertainment Weekly has a good article about Mike Schur and the cast talking about the season 1 twist and season 2. Spoilers if you haven't seen season 2 yet, although if you haven't, I'm not sure why you'd be on page 6 of this thread anyway:

http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/05/the-good-place-ted-danson-john-krasinski/

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Mike Schur's Brooklyn 99 -- which got cancelled earlier this week at Fox -- just got picked up by NBC for this fall. They also picked up Abby's, which is another Schur-show with Natalie Morales, and I know they've been pushing for an Office revival, as well. It sounds like they're doubling down on him as their main sitcom-guy, which delights me to no end, and I wouldn't be surprised to see either the Nine-Nine or Abby's getting programmed alongside The Good Place in the fall.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I believe Schur is only the showrunner for "The Good Place", though, correct? I believe Dan Goor is the showrunner for "Brooklyn 99" and Josh Malmuth will be the showrunner for "Abby's".

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
While I'm glad they did, I don't really understand why NBC picked up Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I don't imagine that people will suddenly start watching the show now. Although maybe the groundswell of support will get more people to watch the previous seasons on Netflix or Hulu or wherever old episodes are available to stream and then they'll watch the new episodes in the fall. The funniest thing is that B99 will probably have its best ratings of the season this week due to getting temporarily cancelled.

...and I wouldn't be surprised to see either the Nine-Nine or Abby's getting programmed alongside The Good Place in the fall.
Yeah, I definitely expect the The Good Place and B99 to run back to back in the fall.

I believe Schur is only the showrunner for "The Good Place", though, correct? I believe Dan Goor is the showrunner for "Brooklyn 99" and Josh Malmuth will be the showrunner for "Abby's".
I believe you are correct.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
While I'm glad they did, I don't really understand why NBC picked up Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I don't imagine that people will suddenly start watching the show now.

They don't need people to start watching now. They'd probably be happy if that happened, but Universal (not Fox) is the producer of the show, so having additional episodes helps them in terms of the syndication deal with TBS and SVOD deal with Hulu. If they carry over the viewership from Fox at a minimum, I would think NBC would be fine with that. They know what the show has been doing on Fox and probably expect it to perform similarly.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Incidentally, this is the same reason Fox picked up Last Man Standing, which was previously aired by ABC but produced and wholly owned by 20th Century Fox Television, as a replacement on thir schedule for B99. Vertical integration.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
When you said back-to-back, Travis, I'm assuming you meant that NBC would show its 13 episodes of The Good Place and then in the winter program Brooklyn-99 in the same 8:30 time slot. That would make sense to me. No way NBC is going to have B-99 as their 9:00 p.m. lynchpin for the night.

BTW, I couldn't be happier about the NBC pick-up of B-99. It's BY FAR my favorite comedy on network television.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
When you said back-to-back, Travis, I'm assuming you meant that NBC would show its 13 episodes of The Good Place and then in the winter program Brooklyn-99 in the same 8:30 time slot. That would make sense to me. No way NBC is going to have B-99 as their 9:00 p.m. lynchpin for the night..
I figure they'll hammock Brooklyn Nine-Nine in between The Good Place and something else but your idea makes sense.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The other thing to consider is that unlike The Good Place, which stays at 13 for creative reasons, the B99 order could theoretically be extended in success. I figure they are treating it in this way as if it were a new show, which it is to NBC, where initial orders are typically 13 with a back nine order triggered if successful.

I suspect Will & Grace will continue to be the 9:00pm centerpiece, but all should be revealed by Monday, when NBC has their upfront presentation.

Also, there won't necessarily have to be a break in the schedule of The Good Place this year. NBC doesn't have Thursday Night Football anymore (Fox does), so they should be able to program it consecutively. The break in November was only ever there to allow for football to take over that spot.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The NBC schedule revealed this morning has The Good Place in its usual 8:30/7:30c Thursday time slot sandwiched by Superstore and Will & Grace as it was last year. B99 will be held for midseason.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks