What's new

The Good Place - Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I didn't find it a filler episode, but a funny one. Jason continues to crack me up, and all of the principals have such great rapport that watching them play these scenes is pure pleasure. Yep, great visuals as "The Good Place" disintegrates, and I can't wait to see what comes next. There can't be many episodes left in this season.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It was a bottle episode (they only used existing sets and there was no guest cast) but I like that this show takes the time to slow it down to let the characters talk to each other rather than going quickly from one thing to another like other serialized shows.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Haven't seen or even heard of this show, so many channels and so many choices :cool:, I rely on HTF to point me in the right direction. But this one slipped under the radar. Hopefully can find the episodes somewhere and get caught up.

Totally unrelated, not a big Ted Danson fan, but I can overlook that. Still remember when he showed up in "Saving Private Ryan". So completely out of place and distracting. Same thing with CSI. Both he and Elisabeth Shue contributed to the death of that franchise, although CSI: Cyber didn't help.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I didn't find it a filler episode

"Filler" was perhaps not the right word for me to use last night. I just mean that in a show that is usually pretty fast-paced, this one wasn't really, and it took hem some time to get to an answer that should have been right in front of their faces as soon as Michael admitted he didn't know how to get in.

Also, you're right. There are three episodes remaining this season (their standard 13 episode order takes it through Chapter 26, and last night was Chapter 23.)

Haven't seen or even heard of this show,

Stan, it's a great show, but don't read the thread for fear of spoilers. Go find the first season on Netflix and start enjoying it. It's important to see the show in order.

Season 2 is almost over (like I said, 3 episodes left), but it should be uploaded to Netflix sometime this summer, and you should be all caught up by the time season 3 launches in the fall.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I didn't find it a filler episode, but a funny one. Jason continues to crack me up, ....
I don't usually watch this, but was flipping channels last night and saw the discussion about whether or not the escape "vehicle" was going to be Optimus Prime. Jason's reaction made me laugh out loud.

Jason: I call right nipple. That's "shotgun" on Optimus Prime.
Michael: The vehicle, which is most definitely NOT Optimus Prime...
Jason: AAAaawww!!

:lol:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
"I'm pretty good at turning every place I go into my personal hell, so... I think they'll have a lot of options for me."

That last shot of the neighborhood totally disappearing was great, though.
I agree. Really took my breath away.

I think another good question is: even though they are currently the best versions of themselves, would that be good enough to get into the Good Place if they had been in that condition when they died?
I would argue yes for Eleanor, because she's the one who has made actual progress toward addressing the character deficits that got her sent to the Bad Place in the first place. It's no coincidence that Michael's plan started going off the rails in the first season when Eleanor stood up and confessed. It was a wholly selfless (and as such wholly uncharacteristic) act.

Tahani and Chidi have a much greater awareness of their character deficits now, but they haven't made much progress addressing them. They want to be better, but I don't think they actually are better. Tahani throwing Eleanor under the bus with the hot air balloon being the latest example.

Also, even if the Good Place were to allow the four humans in, would they let Michael, a literal demon and Bad Place employee, in with them? And if not, how would the group react to that?
I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being a test for admittance to the Good Place. And only if they refuse to go in without Michael are they allowed in.

It was a bottle episode (they only used existing sets and there was no guest cast) but I like that this show takes the time to slow it down to let the characters talk to each other rather than going quickly from one thing to another like other serialized shows.
Agreed. Also, the Neighborhood sets had to be fairly expensive so I can't blame them for wanting to get one more use out of them before the show blows up its concept (again).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Tahani and Chidi have a much greater awareness of their character deficits now, but they haven't made much progress addressing them. They want to be better, but I don't think they actually are better.

Great point.

I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up being a test for admittance to the Good Place. And only if they refuse to go in without Michael are they allowed in.

That's an interesting idea. The problem with using that as a test is that if the humans pass it, the Good Place has to then actually let in a demon. I'm not sure the people who run the Good Place would be, well, good with that.

The issue facing the group in regards to your first point and your second point is: if, as you are saying, only Eleanor is good enough to actually qualify for the good place, I think she has matured enough where it would be reasonable for us to expect her to say, "I'm not going in unless we're all going in." Would the Good Place relax their admission standards for the others, in the name of letting her in, if it means letting them all in? Or would they let someone they think has earned the right to be in the good place (Eleanor) stay in the bad place, in order to keep the others out?

It's also possible that Eleanor could, in consultation with the group, accept admission on her own, in the name of somehow overthrowing the Good Place power structure and letting the others in later. But she wouldn't just forget about them.

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
LL

"So many great memories of this place, like eating frozen yogurt, and then getting diarrhea, and eating more frozen yogurt, and then more diarrhea."

LL

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It would probably be too expensive of a special effect for the series to pull off, but I'd love to see a flashback to Michael's childhood in order to see what a ten-headed dog-spider looks like.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
On second thought, maybe there will be another ten-headed dog-spider in the actual Bad Place?

Since we know that there are lava monsters and stuff there, I've got to wonder how much of this season's effects budget is being dedicated to the upcoming episodes. All joking aside, the throwaway gag about a ten-headed dog-monster is really effective because it makes us imagine something they likely can't afford to show us and is a great piece of worldbuilding because we build it in for ourselves. But now that we're actually going to see the Bad Place, it stands to reeason that that might have to be a bit more effects-heavy than a standard episode in the neighborhood.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
^ Could be. After all, this episode was a total "bottle" show, meaning they're probably reserving a big chunk of budget for something huge down the road, and seeing the "real" Bad Place (and 10-headed dog-spiders) might be it.

Shaun's texts were probably my biggest laugh in the episode. I never thought a cry-laugh emoji would almost make me cry-laugh.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Lesser shows would have had them stuck in The Bad Place for half a season, and while I’m slightly disappointed we didn’t get a better look at it, I commend the writers for not fucking around. Less is certainly more here, and the idea of wheelspinning seems almost poisonous to them. And they still totally bring the funny.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Lesser shows would have had them stuck in The Bad Place for half a season, and while I’m slightly disappointed we didn’t get a better look at it, I commend the writers for not fucking around.
Since there was only three episodes left (now two), I figured they'd be there until the end of the season or get to the judge in the last episode.

Speaking of the judge, I'm not big on dreaming of casting choice but I hope they can get Nick Offerman for the role.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Since there was only three episodes left (now two), I figured they'd be there until the end of the season or get to the judge in the last episode.

Speaking of the judge, I'm not big on dreaming of casting choice but I hope they can get Nick Offerman for the role.

I would like to see them get Judge Judy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks