The good old "Tape Recorder"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sankar, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

Hi all!

This may or may not belong here, so administrators please move this thread as needed! (I'm just not sure where to ask this question, that's all).

My wife is looking to buy a portable cd/cassette recorder with a built in (or external) microphone. The ability to record is important but the quality is not that critical as long as it's reasonable. Size matters and we should be able to easily carry it from room to room. We've been looking at boomboxes at the usual places (Good Guys, Circuit City, Best Buy, Target, Fry's etc) and have not been able to locate even a single one which has a built in mike (or for that matter even a "line-in" which would allow one to record from external sources)!

I recall that even a few years ago these were available in abundance -- as recent as 5 or 6 years ago I have bought units that had a tuner, a cd and dual cassette players with built in stereo microphones! Can someone point me to specific models/places to find these ... or is there a reason why manufacturers have phased these out completely?

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I'd buy a portable MD recorder. You'll have to buy a microphone though. Take a look at: www.minidisco.com
    Tape recorders are an endangered species. Bet wishes!

3. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Why would ANYONE wanna record with the crappy built in mic. Either find a Stereo Sony Reel to Reel deck off ebay and a couple of good microphones or a MD and a good stereo microphone. Built in crap sucks. Don't ever record a concert, any concert, with a cassette player with a built in mic.

4. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

5. rajiv

rajiv Stunt Coordinator

Sanker,
    I know exactly what you mean. My uncle is big into tabla practice, singing, etc. Radio shack used to make a portable tape deck with inputs for two microphones to allow for stereo recording. That generally works best for music practice, however, this tape recorder has now been discontinued. You might find it on ebay.
    IMO, the best thing to do is lie to your wife and tell her no such thing exists or its hard to find. Its worked for me. [​IMG] In fact, I do not have a VCR in my HT setup and haven't had one for over two years now. Its upset my wife, but crappy tapes of Indian soap operas make me cringe on a 58" widescreen RPTV.
    Good luck and remember to lie.
    Rajiv...

6. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

[​IMG] ... I suppose that when all else fails, its time to pull out the stops and lie [​IMG]
    Actually she is convinced that it's hard to find having herself looked for a couple of months now.
    Cheers!
    Sankar

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Is it me or can some people just not answer a simple question. [​IMG]

8. ChrisP

ChrisP Agent

And if you want to find one locally, i'd recommend hitting an office supply store (i.e. OfficeMax or Office Depot) as they tend to carry these, with built in mic's and sometimes built in speakers in a unit the size of a walkman.