What's new

The good news: "Ruthless People" on DVD in '02! The bad news... (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I just don't understand the appeal and necessity of seeing theatrical trailers.
Speaking just for myself: For the most part you are right. Trailers created by studio marketing departments are uniformly awful. The worst offenders tend to be trailers for dialog driven foreign language films, where the studio attempts to hide the fact there may be subtitles invloved by sticking every single dialog free scene from the movie in the trailer, thus producing a meaningless piece of crap full of transition shots that tell you nothing about the movie. Add a stuffy narator telling you that it is an "important film" and I'm amazed that even marketing droids think someone is going to want to see the thing.

However, I'm all for trailers being included in the rare cases where the trailers were made by the filmmakers, often using material not in the movie, sometimes absolutely brilliant on their own. It is also interesting to see trailers for old movies, as they are fascinating artifacts of their time.

Ted

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
However, I'm all for trailers being included in the rare cases where the trailers were made by the filmmakers
That I can certainly see... like the Psycho trailer with Hitchcock giving his little tour :) That one was worthwhile. That certainly seems to be the exception rather than the rule however.
Well, either way, trailer or not, I'm looking forward to Ruthless People on DVD!
--I've been kidnapped by K-Mart!--

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Personal note:

I love extras just as much as the presentation itself.

I never should have bought up this topic in the first place. If I had known the animosity I'd get about it, I would've just kept to myself.

I like trailers. I like extras. I'M SORRY!!!

Sincerely,

John "Dave, I'm sorry for liking extras. It's just how I want my DVDs to be" Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Okay, an apology in advance:

Look, when I got a DVD player for Christmas in 2000, I wasn't looking at it as just a better way to view movies. I wasn't that concerned with how the movie looked.

I wanted a DVD player because I wanted to hear the filmmaker's thoughts on the movies, I wanted to see the movies in letterbox, I wanted to look at deleted scenes and any and all other things related to the movie.

I thought there were people on here who liked extras, too. Now I feel like an outcast.

I said it before and I'll say it again: I like OAR as much as the next guy. There's a difference, though. You guys view extras as "gravy". I view extras as the meal itself. A featureless disc in OAR is like having only one candy from a box of chocolates. A feature-filled disc in OAR is the whole box of chocolates, topped off with a vanilla shake and a hamburger. I want something extra to go with what I pay for.

That's just me, and apparently only me on this board.

P.S,

I'm sorry for saying you were snotty, Dave Gorman. It was the heat of my anger that made me write that. You're okay.

Sincerely,

John "Have I explained myself ENOUGH?" Kilduff

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
John, I'm pretty sure you're not the only one on this board who loves the extras (after all, there are people who have multiple versions of the same movie because one disc has better movie presentation while other has a better set of extras), but most people just don't put extras before the movie itself. For instance, I would always take a bare-bones OAR disc over no disc at all. I would always take a feature-laden OAR SE over a bare-bones disc. And, of course, I would take a bare-bones OAR disc over feature-laden MAR SE. I would be really itching to get both, but I can't support MAR sales for any reason whatsoever ;)

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Hey John, apology accepted, and it's no problem as I'm all too well acquainted with that "heat of anger" business myself. :)
And in retrospect, I realize I came across snottier than I had intended in my original post -- non-verbals, even with smilies, can be tough to convey in writing.
I have nothing against extras, but I am one of those who considers extras the icing on the cake. For me the movie is the thing, if there happen to be some extras, fine. I enjoy "featurettes" and "making of's". Ocassionally I enjoy commentary tracks. Usually I have trouble enough making time to watch the movie, much less the extras :laugh:
I simply have never understood what the big deal is about trailers. That was the sole intent of my original post. Sorry I didn't come across as intended :)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
John, like you I bought DVD because of commentaries and other extras.
However, when I saw your original post I would have posted pretty much what Dave wrote, with a question as to whether the trailer was indeed one of those 'special' ones that is interesting in its own right.
The thing is you seemed to be saying you really just wanted a trailer in the first post. Read it again and you'll see what I mean. To me, the difference between the movie or the movie with a trailer is nothing, unless the trailer is a really interesting piece of work.
I wouldn't be so defensive in future. Stand up for what you like and don't take any shit from no one. :emoji_thumbsup:

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
Look guys, no need to panic yet...

As with most studios, one hand doesn't know what the hell the other is doing. I'm 99% cetain that Ruthless People, and everything else scheduled for April will be widescreen and anamorphic.

The people that maintain their web sites are at the mercy of the marketing department providing information, and as with all marketing departments, their full of clowns. This isn't the first time DVD specs weren't know until two weeks before a titles release.

Hell, Fresh wasn't even announced as an SE until late in the game.

Daniel L

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
As long as it's OAR, I'll buy this fantastic comedy the second it comes out.
Although I would love to have that Billy Joel "Modern Woman" video... :laugh:

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
and as with all
marketing departments, their full of clowns.
:laugh:
I went to journalism school, and had to take some classes with...ugh...those people (marketing majors). My friends and I used to comment that it was easier to get a marketing degree than the flu.

David Burns

Auditioning
Guess what? Ruthless People will be in its OAR! I spoke to a tech at BV who put a copy in his DVD-ROM, loaded it up, and it was widescreen. No idea if Anamorphic or not, but definitely OAR. Cool, and what awesome Customer Service for them to check this for me!!!
-DB

Jodee

Screenwriter
That's good news. If it were pan & scan then we'd have to make jokes about the disc being "kidnapped by Kmart".
:)

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Now that the disc is slightly over a week away, has anyone gotten their hands on a pre-release sample and can offer some insight as to the presentation format? (OAR, 16x9)?

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I wish Buena Vista would do a better job of releasing specs...their April releases like Ruthless People, Dick Tracy, the Disney family films, etc....all still have no specs listed anywhere.

Will K

Screenwriter
Okay, here's the ugly-ass cover art you knew was coming...looks like a custom jacket will be in order...
ruthless.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks