What's new

The Good Girl DVD...strange Blue-blacks???? MPEG problem? Help! (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
BIZZZAARE. That's what I and my non-videophile friend said when watching this film the other night.

I have a 16x9 direct-view 34" 480P Proscan TV running 480P from my panny rp91. I've saw somthing watching this dvd that i've never seen on any of the hundreds of dvds i've viewed on this system:

In various dark areas of the picture...the blacks would get very blocky/noise (looked like bad video noise or MPEG artifacting) and turn BLUE!!! yes... very dark, but very obvious blue color!

My non-videophile friend asked me "what's wrong with the blacks in the picture...they look blue and the whole movie has been like that...is this a bootleg DVD???"

The review at dvdfile.com didn't notice this. I'd blame it on some calibration or odd setup in my system but this is the FIRST and ONLY dvd that's ever done anything like this in my system!

Can some of you with this disc check it out closely...fiddle with your contrast settings and see if you see what I'm talking about? Adjusting my TV doesn't change anything. If anyone has a projector like the Sharp 10000 or the Infocus 7200 (which is VERY revealing in terms of black-level compression artifacting) I'd appreciate your impressions as well.

Thanks!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Rain,

managed somehow to miss that. Someone in that thread even mentions the "blue blacks".

I'll pick up posting over there!

p.s. IMO, this disc was unwatchable and should be reissued. It's as defective as it gets when your non-HT enthusiast guest asks you if the dvd you're watching is a boot-leg disc because the picture is so bad!!!!!!

Craig W

Second Unit
I saw the same the thing. It's a terrible transfer. I wonder if it was compressed it too much.

MancusoB

Agent
I've seen this happen to DirecTV content, also. When it happens, it varies from channel to channel.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Anybody "in touch" with Fox to find out what the scoop is? I doubt we'll hear anything, but it would be nice to find out if they are at least *aware* of the problem. Even if they never revisit this title for a corrected version, I'd like to think they'd be aware so they can avoid future titles suffering the same fate.

Had I been watching this film alone I might have stopped the movie...it was that darn distracting and one could not help but constantly see it.

-dave

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
ressurecting this old thread because i just watched this on hbo-hd.
the blue/blacks are there still.
it is no doubt part of the movie.

infact it was even worse here.
as the blacks that were blue, mostly shadow areas, were almost flourescent, even neon looking.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I just watched this on DVD last night and I have to say this is without a doubt, the worst transfer ever!! I realize it is a budget title (I picked it up for $10), but the the blue blocks that the above people mention make this movie completely distracting. It also has some sort of a soft haze filter or something used all throughout the movie. This movie isn't even that old!!

The movie itself was okay, but nothing I would normally double dip on, but this transfer is so bad, I can't ever imagine myself ever watching this again unless a corrected transfer is re-released.

Fox should be ashamed of themselves that their QC department let this one make it out into general release. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks