What's new

The Good Fight - Season 1 ("Good Wife" Spinoff - CBS All Access) (1 Viewer)

Will you subcribe to CBS All Access to watch "The Good Fight"?

• Yes! But only because I'm already subscribing for "Star Trek: Discovery".

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (comment in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dammit!

1.) It sure does give away quite a lot.

2.) It sure does make me want to get All Access (but I won't)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I feel the same way, Mike. While I am still planning to stick to my principles, I am really really hoping that someone I know gets All Access and lets me watch it.

The most exciting news is that this initial season is only 10 episodes. "BrainDead" was only 13 episodes, and it had much better quality control than the last season or two of "The Good Wife", which got pretty muddled.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just a reminder that this premieres tonight with a special broadcast version of the pilot edited for time and content on regular old CBS at 8/7c.

The unedited version of the pilot and the second hour also go live on CBS All Access at the same time.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Of course I'll be watching CBS tonight. I have to hope that after the ten episodes air on CBS All Access, it'll make its way to Amazon Instant Video or Netflix because otherwise the only way I'll see it is if the episodes are released on home video discs (likely DVDs).

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
If your Canadian, you might be interested to know that this program is available on regular cable on the W network.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'll admit, part of me was going into this hoping it'd be lackluster so that I could rest easy skipping the rest of it.

Alas, that was not to be: A lot of what it kept reminded me of why I loved "The Good Wife" so much in the first place. At the same time, worries that it would be "The Good Wife" Season 8 were unfounded. The show had a completely different look and feel, and the pilot did a neat job of jettisoning the baggage that bogged down the last couple seasons of the original show.

With rare exceptions, mainly Kalinda's subplots in the earlier seasons and Eli's subplots in the later seasons, "The Good Wife" was told through the solitary perspective of Alicia Florrick, and we saw the other characters -- including Diane and Lucca -- though her eyes. The pilot immediately expands this to a dueling narrative, as we jump back and forth from Diane's perspective as her life crumbles around her and new associate Maia Rindell (who finds herself in the eye of the storm much as Alicia did in "The Good Wife" pilot).

I didn't know whether there was enough left unexplored with Diane to justify a spinoff built around her, but the inciting incident of a ponzi scheme wiping out her life's savings provides the character with a clean slate to experience her in an entirely different light. The moment that sold me on the show's promise was at the very end. In the pilot of "The Good Wife", Diane made a show of presenting herself as a mentor to Alicia, only for that to quickly prove quite hollow. Here, she has every reason to abandon Maia, but she sticks her neck out and does what a true mentor would do for a promising newcomer that they've invested an interest in. That moment of selfless decency in the face of strong headwinds was the moment that convinced me that we weren't in for a "Good Wife" retread: this the story of a decent honest person being corrupted and brought down into the muck by the people around her. This is a story about trying to be better than the world insists you can be.

On the other end of the mentor/mentee relationship, Maia provides a fresh new perspective into this world. Even though this is the character that is the closest analog to Alicia on the show, there are important differences. One of the biggest is that we're coming into "The Good Fight" with seven seasons of "The Good Wife" under our belt. We became exposed to this world with Alicia, the things that were surprising and dispiriting and revelatory to Alicia were surprising and dispiriting and revelatory to the audience as well. But we're way ahead of Maia. It's a different relationship between the audience and the protagonist. And while Alicia was naive and a neophyte in many ways, she was still a middle aged woman with a whole adult life behind her and decades of experience navigating politics. Maia is a true neophyte, fresh out of law school. She's closer to Cary in background, but without his drive or ambition because her wealthy and connected parents ensured she never had to worry about failing. Entering the workforce is already a major change, without having your entire world implode around you. Her girlfriend seems sensible and loyal, but there are very few relationships -- especially without a marriage certificate -- that could survive the kind of stresses this sort of event would bring on.

Rose Leslie is good casting for this role: As "Game of Thrones" demonstrated, she is talented at portraying both fierce and vulnerable, sometimes at the same time. She comes from a wealthy and prominent background, and wears Maia's class privileged like a glove. Her American accent needs some work, slipping in particular when she gets emotional -- and demonstrating in the process just how rock solid Cush Jumbo's American accent is -- but it doesn't undermine the reality of the character. By the end of the pilot, I cared what happened next to Maia, so mission accomplished.

The series is billed with Baranski, Leslie and Jumbo having equal status as the series leads, but in the pilot we still only see Lucca though the perspectives of other characters. She's the biggest question mark with this new series, because I never felt like her character was well served by "The Good Wife". She was brought in more or less explicitly as Alicia's replacement best friend for the final scene as Julianna Margulies's issues with Archie Panjabi prevented Alicia and Kalinda from sharing scenes together. Her role was a) to be a sounding board for Alicia, like the best friend characters in sitcoms, and b) to be a black face that the writers could employ when dealing with racially charged storylines. She never really got to be her own character on her own terms. I will say that I've never liked her more than when she told off the Ponzi scheme victim and then marched into that restroom and gave Maia a pep talk from the other side of the toilet stall door. Again, a moment of kindness when it would have made more sense to do nothing.

If they wanted to tackle more stories about race, having Diane and Maia jump ship to a predominantly black law firm was a smart way to go. It provides a more organic setting for those kind of stories, and it avoids the tokenism that could plague "The Good Wife" at times. It also gets us away from the poisonous, increasingly tiresome machinations of the perennially backstabbing Lockhart, Lee, etc. etc. etc. & Associates. Bringing on actors of the caliber of Delroy Lindo and Erica Tazel doesn't hurt either. With Tazel in particular, I'm interested to see what she brings to the table. I always felt she was criminally underutilized on "Justified".

Some things were definitely signature traits of a show from the Kings: the twenty-minute cold open, the very particular musical score, certain twists and turns in the writing. But it definitely made a case for itself as its own beast. And interesting that, much like most of the Netflix originals, it utilizes a slightly wider aspect ratio than 16x9 or even 1.85:1.

I'm definitely going to have to find some way to watch this. Hopefully I can find a CBS All Access subscriber who will let me use his or her second stream. Falling that, I'll have to wait until six days before the finale and then try and binge the whole first season during the one-week free trial.

If your Canadian, you might be interested to know that this program is available on regular cable on the W network.
Definitely worthwhile to share, Terry, but salt in the wound for us Americans!:)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
SUperb start to the series. Establishes the new characters involved in the orbit of Dianne Lockhart but in familiar enough surroundings where it feels like we're just checking back in with old friends after some time apart.

I'm still not subscribing, but I'll look forward to catching up with the remaining nine episodes at some point or other.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Definitely worthwhile to share, Terry, but salt in the wound for us Americans!:)[/QUOTE]

Almost every streaming service mentioned on this website is not available here. Things like the "two screen experience" from "The Walking Dead" is not available here. If you are ever in Canada with your "Net Flicks" enabled IPhone look at Net Flicks Canada --- PATHETIC! Many people here acquire pirate programs that allow you to go on line and disguise that you are using a computer from Canada. Do I sound whinny yet? My point is that you should not be envious. ( -- unless of course you are interested in the new Star Trek which is also supposed to be on our regular
cable!)

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Just a reminder that this premieres tonight with a special broadcast version of the pilot edited for time and content on regular old CBS at 8/7c.

The unedited version of the pilot and the second hour also go live on CBS All Access at the same time.

I accidentally missed it, oops. But doesn't bother me at all. Edited for time and content really ticks me off. The only one worse is "Formatted to fit this screen".

I thought CBS was showing the entire episode, but apparently we have to pay for All Access to get the full show. I'll pass.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I'm all set! Got my All Access subscription and am having a viewing party of (I hope) the first three episodes this Sunday. It's going to be hard to wait to start watching it until then but I promised friends I would. I started back on Season 1 of GOOD WIFE to hold me over as I thought it would be fun to revisit it, and it is. I had forgotten (or more likely never realized) that the first scene of the pilot and the last scene of the finale take place in the exact same hallway. While that doesn't make me hate the end of the series any less, it's a nice touch.

Only irritating thing to me is the access of All-Access itself. I have a smart TV and a blu-ray player and, while I can use either to stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Vudu etc neither the Samsung TV nor the Sony Blu have yet added a CBS All Access option. I previously bought Roku sticks for my ex and for my mom so they can both access my Netflix etc (neither has smart TV's) I never imagined I'd need one for myself. I found one on Amazon for $35 (and the new Fire Sticks are coming out March 3rd at $39 or so) but I'm kind of irritated that I now have THREE separate ways to stream Netflix to the same goddamned TV, lol.

I can't help it, though, I couldn't pass it up. If I only keep the service for the length of the series It'll only cost me $30 and my mom can watch it back home in PA as well. If I wind up liking the service as a whole I may keep it, who knows? They have some fun stuff on there but, unforgivably, the selected episodes of TAXI do NOT include Reverend Jim's driving test in the mix!

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
[QUOTE="Will Krupp, post: 4462055, member: 307228"
Only irritating thing to me is the access of All-Access itself. I have a smart TV and a blu-ray player and, while I can use either to stream Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Vudu etc neither the Samsung TV nor the Sony Blu have yet added a CBS All Access option.[/QUOTE]Another sign of bad planning by the folks behind CBS All Access. They should have these access questions settled before starting up their first new series. Maybe by the time Star Trek starts ...

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I thought CBS was showing the entire episode, but apparently we have to pay for All Access to get the full show. I'll pass.

From what I understand, the streaming series is rated "R" equivalent so I don't know that they COULD have shown it unedited on broadcast TV even if they wanted to.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I just realized this Sunday is the OSCARS so the Good Fight party has, naturally, been postponed. This means I'm not under any obligation to wait now! Yay!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed the premiere.

I mean...REALLY enjoyed it!

I would be SO all in. But I'm gonna wait.

So once the talk here turns to episode 2 and beyond, I'll be out until I figure out how I'm going to get to see this thing. :unsure:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
So far I'm loving it, though I must admit that episode 4 was SLIGHTLY less enthralling than the three that preceded it. Not every one can knock it out of the park. They've managed to keep the feel of the GOOD WIFE and the stories are really tightly packed. A very very good sequel and it is much like visiting old friends, though around now I'm starting to miss the characters that HAVEN'T come back!

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm so glad that you're enjoying it and coming back here to report on it. Whets my appetite to seek it out on some other platform at a later date.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
CBS ALL ACCESS RENEWS “THE GOOD FIGHT” FOR SECOND SEASON

Press Release said:

CBS ALL ACCESS RENEWS “THE GOOD FIGHT” FOR SECOND SEASON

March 15, 2017 – CBS All Access, the CBS Television Network’s digital subscription video on-demand and live streaming service, today announced the second season renewal of its first original drama series, THE GOOD FIGHT, for early 2018. THE GOOD FIGHT is produced by CBS Television Studios.

“We’re only a few episodes into the first season and the reaction from CBS All Access subscribers and critics alike has been phenomenal,” said Marc DeBevoise, President and Chief Operating Officer, CBS Interactive. “This series and its characters are just beginning and we can’t wait to see where Robert and Michelle King, their creative team and the amazing cast take THE GOOD FIGHT next.”

The first season of THE GOOD FIGHT is now available to stream on CBS All Access with new episodes available on Sundays.

THE GOOD FIGHT picks up one year after the events of the final broadcast episode of “The Good Wife.” In THE GOOD FIGHT, an enormous financial scam has destroyed the reputation of a young lawyer, Maia Rindell, while simultaneously wiping out her mentor and godmother Diane Lockhart’s savings. Forced out of Lockhart & Lee, they join Lucca Quinn at one of Chicago’s pre-eminent law firms.

The series, from “The Good Wife” creators Robert and Michelle King, stars Christine Baranski, Cush Jumbo, Rose Leslie, Delroy Lindo, Erica Tazel, Sarah Steele and Justin Bartha.

Robert and Michelle King serve as showrunners and executive producers of the series, which they co-created with Phil Alden Robinson. Phil Alden Robinson also co-wrote and executive produced the premiere episode with the Kings. Ridley Scott, David Zucker, Liz Glotzer, Brooke Kennedy and Alison Cross also serve as executive producers. The series is produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Scott Free Productions and King Size Productions. The series is distributed worldwide by CBS Studios International.

THE GOOD FIGHT is available exclusively on the CBS All Access digital subscription service and accessible online at CBS.com on mobile devices via the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, and on Roku Players, Apple TV, Chromecast, Android TV, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation4 and Fire TV.

In addition to THE GOOD FIGHT, CBS All Access gives subscribers the ability to stream their local CBS station live, including sporting events like the NFL ON CBS, and watch more than 8,500 episodes on demand – spanning current shows from CBS Television’s primetime, daytime and late night line up, as well as past seasons of select series and classic TV hits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks