The Good Fight - Season 1 ("Good Wife" Spinoff - CBS All Access)

Will you subcribe to CBS All Access to watch "The Good Fight"?

• Yes! But only because I'm already subscribing for "Star Trek: Discovery".

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (comment in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
CBS Press Release said:
PRODUCTION HAS STARTED IN NEW YORK CITY ON “THE GOOD FIGHT,” THE NEW EDITION OF “THE GOOD WIFE”​

The Series, Starring Christine Baranski, Cush Jumbo, Rose Leslie, Delroy Lindo, Sarah Steele, Paul Guilfoyle, Bernadette Peters and Erica Tazel,​

Premieres February 2017 on CBS All Access
TheGoodFight_S01_001.jpg

NEW YORK and LOS ANGELES – Monday, Oct. 31 – Production has commenced in New York City on THE GOOD FIGHT, the new edition of “The Good Wife” that will be available on CBS All Access, the CBS Television Network’s subscription video on-demand and live streaming service. The series from Robert and Michelle King, starring Christine Baranski, Cush Jumbo, Rose Leslie, Delroy Lindo, Sarah Steele, Paul Guilfoyle, Bernadette Peters and Erica Tazel, will premiere in February 2017 with a special broadcast on the CBS Television Network, then move exclusively to CBS All Access. Executive Producer Brooke Kennedy is directing the premiere episode.

THE GOOD FIGHT picks up one year after the events of the final broadcast episode of “The Good Wife.” In the new series, an enormous financial scam has destroyed the reputation of a young lawyer, Maia, while simultaneously wiping out her mentor Diane Lockhart’s savings. Forced out of Lockhart & Lee, they join Lucca Quinn at one of Chicago’s pre-eminent law firms.

Robert and Michelle King, creators and executive producers of “The Good Wife,” return as showrunners and executive producers of the new series. Phil Alden Robinson co-wrote and will executive produce the premiere episode with the Kings. Ridley Scott, David Zucker, Liz Glotzer, Brooke Kennedy and Alison Cross also serve as executive producers. The series is produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Scott Free Productions and King Size Productions. The series will be distributed worldwide by CBS Studios International.

CHEAT TWEET: JUST IN! Production has started in NYC on #THEGOODFIGHT, the new edition of #TheGoodWife on #CBSAllAccess Feb. 2017 http://bit.ly/2f69hEd
Returning "Good Wife" performers:
  • Christine Baranski as Diane Lockhart, a female icon of the Chicago legal establishment who is forced out of Lockhart & Lee after a massive financial scam wipes out her life savings.
  • Cush Jumbo as Lucca Quinn, an ambitious young lawyer who rose quickly in the world of Chicago law as a result of her close friendship with the former First Lady of Illinois. She has established herself at one of Chicago's most preeminent law firms, which will hire her old boss.
  • Sarah Steele as Marissa Gold, the hilariously sardonic daughter of a cunning and dogged political operative who starts as Diane's secretary before seguing into the role of investigator.
New casting:
  • Rose Leslie ("Game of Thrones", "Downton Abbey") as Maia, a young lawyer and Diane's goddaughter whose reputation is in tatters following a massive financial scam.
  • Delroy Lindo ("Believe", Malcolm X, Get Shorty, Gone in 60 Seconds) as Robert Boseman, a fierce and Machiavellian lawyer who dominates every scene, intimidates every lawyer, and is beloved by every client.
  • Paul Guilfoyle ("CSI: Crime Scene Investigation") as Henry, Maia's father who has done very well for himself as a financial advisor — thanks, in large part, to his wife's help in expanding their family’s private investment firm — and who is adored by many.
  • Bernadette Peters ("Mozart in the Jungle", The Jerk, seven-time Tony nominee) as Lenore, Maia's mother who comes from a working-class background and is a financial genius.
  • Erica Tazel ("Justified")
Robert and Michelle King, creators and executive producers of “The Good Wife,” return as showrunners and executive producers of the new series. They wrote the pilot with veteran film writer/director Phil Alden Robinson (Field of Dreams, The Sum of All Fears). Brooke Kennedy, who directed 15 episodes of "The Good Wife", will direct the pilot and serve as the producing director for the first season.

The series will premiere on the CBS broadcast network in February 2017 and then move exclusively to the CBS All Access streaming platform beginning with the second episode.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
That press release has it a little wrong about Bernadette Peters. She's likely a seven-time Tony nominee, but she's only won twice.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
First Promo:

I'll watch the premiere on CBS, and then if I like it, well... I'll have to find somebody who subscribes to All Access.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had no idea the character of David Lee (my least favorite of the series regulars from the old show) was going to be a part of this.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I had no idea the character of David Lee (my least favorite of the series regulars from the old show) was going to be a part of this.
From what I understand, he's only in the pilot. Diane's very unceremonious exit from the firm happens in the first episode, and David Lee is doubtless at the center of the machinations.

If we see him again after this, my guess is that it would only be as opposing counsel in the courtroom.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I've got cable, TiVo, Netflix, and Amazon Prime. I don't have HBO or even BBCA yet. I don't see adding CBS in the near future.
The Dish Network package I chose has HBO and BBCA, but that's it. I'm paying over $100 a month, I'm not adding more.

BBCA is only for Doctor Who (which is on a very extended break and the Graham Norton show). They did do a recent broadcast of the Cumberbatch Sherlock stories and I like Dirk Gently, but that's it. There are already loads of channels I pay for that I never watch, not going to add onto the bill.

I'd love to see this show, but you've got to cut off the check-book sometimes. Can't find a truly accurate cost, but I've seen anything from $4 to $10+ per month. Nope, not falling for it.

No more. They can nickel and dime us to death, but I'm not participating in this one.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
From what I understand, he's only in the pilot. Diane's very unceremonious exit from the firm happens in the first episode, and David Lee is doubtless at the center of the machinations.

If we see him again after this, my guess is that it would only be as opposing counsel in the courtroom.
That makes complete sense. Thanks. Like others, I won't be adding to my already hefty cable bill by adding CBS All Access, so I have to hope the episodes will come to home video at some point. I will watch the pilot since it is going to air on CBS.

Reactions: Adam Lenhardt

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if they will mention Alicia and Peter in the pilot. I remember Lou Grant never mentioned Mary Richards or anyone else from WJM on his spin off and I was disappointed. Even when they had the character of Mary's aunt as a guest star on Lou Grant Mary was not mentioned. When they did the Mary and Rhoda TV movie no one from WJM was mentioned ether. These characters have short memories.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if they will mention Alicia and Peter in the pilot. I remember Lou Grant never mentioned Mary Richards or anyone else from WJM on his spin off and I was disappointed. Even when they had the character of Mary's aunt as a guest star on Lou Grant Mary was not mentioned. When they did the Mary and Rhoda TV movie no one from WJM was mentioned ether. These characters have short memories.
I imagine she'll be name-checked at some point, if only because the former first lady of Illinois is a prominent public figure in a way that Mary Richards was not.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Agree 100%. Couldn't stand that character, the epitome of a slimy lawyer. Also found Peter and Alicia's mothers to be very annoying, and the old guy who never wore pants :cool:. Looking back, surprising this show was so successful, had a lot of really awful characters.

One I always liked was the male counterpart to Kalinda, although he wasn't on for very long. Don't even recall what happened, they may have killed him off :D but he'd be a good addition to the cast. Also liked Sarah Steele, great character.

I'll check out the pilot and then maybe pay for All Access, but I've read some terrible reviews of the service, like people getting commercials even if they've paid the extra $ for "commercial free". Apparently the new Star Trek series next year will also only be on All Access. I think some of these shows will fail because they won't get the larger audience regular broadcast would give them. A lot of people are getting burned out paying more fees. Although they could get me to fall for it because they own the rights to thousands of older shows, which are supposed to be "on demand" and without commercials, including all the Star Trek series.

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Sims
I've already been subscribing to All Access for months, mainly for the classic shows, like the original Hawaii Five-O, Mission:Impossible, Family Ties, etc. Also comes in handy if I miss a show "live" on the network, I can watch it later. So, since I liked The Good Wife, I'll probably check out the sequel.

Reactions: Stan

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Official Cast Photo (click to enlarge):
TheGoodFight_S01_009.jpg
(L-R) Sarah Steele as Marissa Gold; Rose Leslie as Maia Rindell; Cush Jumbo as Lucca Quinn; Erica Tazel as Barbara Kolstad; Delroy Lindo as Adrian Boseman; Christine Baranski as Diane Lockhart. Photo: Joe Pugliese/CBS ©2016 CBS Interactive, Inc. All Rights Reserved

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I've already been subscribing to All Access for months, mainly for the classic shows, like the original Hawaii Five-O, Mission:Impossible, Family Ties, etc. Also comes in handy if I miss a show "live" on the network, I can watch it later. So, since I liked The Good Wife, I'll probably check out the sequel.
That's the one teaser that may get me to go for this, all the classics. But not having a "smart TV", it would be through my laptop, then an HDMI connection to my TV. Plus it's "on demand", not going onto the DVR, but I may give it a try.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That's the one teaser that may get me to go for this, all the classics. But not having a "smart TV", it would be through my laptop, then an HDMI connection to my TV. Plus it's "on demand", not going onto the DVR, but I may give it a try.
I would definitely recommend investing in a Roku, regardless of whether you end up subscribing to CBS All Access or not. It makes any TV with an open HDMI port into a Smart TV.

Mike Frezon

Premium
I'm not adding to my monthly bills either.

I really want to see this--REALLY--but I'll wait until a disc release down the road.

Or, absent that...not at all.

Albert71292

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Sims
I would definitely recommend investing in a Roku, regardless of whether you end up subscribing to CBS All Access or not. It makes any TV with an open HDMI port into a Smart TV.
The Roku is how I watch all the streaming services I subscribe to. I'd recommend Stan check into one also. They even have a model less than $50. :)

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l3randon39