1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Good Fight (CBS All Access)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by mattCR, Mar 1, 2017.

1. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    This sequel to The Good Wife has been better than I expected. The first episode was good, but the most recent - episode 3 - is really in the spirit of what made the Good Wife thoughtful TV.

I'm digging the characters and the storytelling itself is quite solid. If it keeps going this way, I'm going to be pretty pleased.

2. Stan

Stan Producer

Repeating myself from posts from other threads, but this "All Access" stuff crosses the line.

Everybody wants money, money, money. This one pushed me over the edge and I refuse to participate. Might be a great show but I can wait until it shows up online or a cheap rental.

Kind of surprised the studios/networks are doing this. Totally pulling numbers out of a hat, but possibly millions of viewers on regular TV, compared to a few hundred thousand on "All Access". They're losing out on a lot of viewers.

Even something as popular as "The Walking Dead". If it went to this "pay to view" system, instantly zapped from my line-up. Sure, it's only $6 or maybe $10, but little by little the expenses creep upward, never ends.

Looks like it's a great show, but I may never see it.

3. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    I love the show, but the All Access thing DOES suck. It's expensive AND, here's the suck part: you still have commercials. W-T-F. If I'm paying for streaming content, why am I getting commercials??

4. Stan

Stan Producer

When I was actually considering paying for this show, before my brain kicked in and said "NO", I thought there were two versions of "All Access". One with commercials, another one, naturally at a higher price, without commercials.

Doesn't matter either way, I pay over $100 a month for Dish and some pay channels, not adding more. Dish actually lowered their prices. Starting this month I'm going with a plan that's only $60 a month, I still get all the same channels I like, lose a lot of the crap I never watch. Other than losing BBCA, pretty good solution, Terrible timing as the new Doctor Who is going to be starting soon, but I'll find a way around that.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The first season of "The Good Fight" is now available on iTunes for purchase

It's available exclusively on iTunes today through Sept. 6. I'm not sure if that means the availability for purchase only runs through Sept. 6, or if the iTunes exclusivity only lasts through Sept. 6 and other digital retailers will be able to sell it after that date. Either way, probably a good sign for a home video release at some point.

6. NeilO

NeilO Producer

CBS will start broadcasting this first season this month. Starting June 16th.

7. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    yeah, I paid $9.99 vs $5.99 for the no commercial version... and they still load a CBS Access commercial up front. Say Whaa? So, as soon as I finish watching the last two The Twilight Zones, I will cancel and catch up with the first season of The Good Fight on broadcast CBS. (I enjoyed the third season)

NeilO likes this.
  8. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    Oh yeah, especially if you're on board with who the good fight is against.

mattCR likes this.
  9. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    Very true assessment above. Look, let's be clear.. without breaking the political rule of this forum.. this show is VERY political with a very specific bent. Either it's going to work for you or you're going to grit your teeth. But, if this show matches your political viewpoint, it is quite excellent.

NeilO likes this.
  10. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Haven't watched what I recorded yet, but be warned:
    [quote/]
    This broadcast TV version is edited twice. Once for length, because the episodes for CBS All Access often ran more than 10 minutes more than a commercial-filled broadcast “hour.” And once for content, to cut back on the streaming-site-accepted rough language and sexual scenes.[/quote]

I expected the second editing, but didn't know about the length situation. I just checked and my local library has it, so my plan will be to watch the first two episodes that aired then if I like it enough check it out of the library.

11. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    The time cutback may hurt, but I don't remember much language or any nudity/sex issues in the third season I watched.

12. mattCR

Reviewer

Matt
    I'm not sure I understand what is meant by time cutback, are they going to air it on broadcast?

13. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Yes. CBS is airing the first season Sunday nights.

14. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    I'm curious of anyone who has seen the uncut versions of those two episodes of the first season, what was cut for time (the original versions were almost an hour, so at about 45 minutes there had to be some content cut). There were only two f-bombs censored, which was funny because they not only cut the audio, but they smudged out the offending lip movements. But were there any substantial 'moments' those of us missed by only seeing these broadcast versions?

Good series, btw.

15. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I think we got the original length in Canada. They certainly did not censor the language.

16. NeilO

NeilO Producer

I've been watching the DVDs of the first season. Definitely a Good Wife feel at times - music, attitude, etc. When Elsbeth Tascioni appeared in the most recent episode I saw, I cheered. Great to see that character again - a favorite.

17. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yep, while I like quite a few of the new characters introduced during the first two seasons (haven't watched season three yet), it's always a pleasure to have returns from some of the great characters from The Good Wife. Elsbeth is my absolute favorite of those recurring characters.

NeilO likes this.
  18. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I began watching season three today. Memorable premiere episode with the surprise of the identity of the owner of the hairs on Kurt's jacket, the hilarious song interlude "NDA," and wonderful performances from the stars over the revelations about one of the firm's founders.

And Michael Sheen hasn't even shown up yet! (But he looks like a wild man in the season preview sequence.)

19. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    Love the show and watched every episode, but hated those little cartoon inserts. They look like “multiplication rock”.

20. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    My gosh, Michael Sheen is like an uncaged tiger! I can see why this outrageous performance has been the source of a lot of controversy. Is it character-appropriate or over-the-top hamminess? I'm only three episodes in, but his fireworks in every scene are just astounding. I can't remember another performance quite like it.

And I'm liking the musical interludes very much. Again, gives the series a jolt that no other show has (that I watch, at least).