What's new

The GOOD 80's stuff and Soft Cell's DVD (1 Viewer)

Len Simons

Agent
Gawd I miss the 80's. Not that there isn't lots of good music floating around these days, but in the the 80's you'd ACTUALLY HEAR SOME OF IT ON THE RADIO!
Not a lot, I'll grant you, but some.
Anyway, I stumbled upon a DVD of Soft Cell, Live in Milan, recorded this year in, yes, you guessed it, Italy. Oooh, aren't you a clever one!
Anyway, it's enhanced 16x9, DD 5.1 and DTS. The sound is fine, though not exceptional. The performance is not bad. It's kinda hard, even with all of today's technology, to get a truly stirring live performance out of a number that is basically canned from the outset. But it's Soft Cell!
They're back, and as good as ever. In the interest of impartiality, I should mention that this was one of my favorite bands of the very early 80's. No bias here whatsoever.
There's a very entertaining interview on the disc with Dave Ball & Marc Almond.
Gotta recommend this one to anyone who's ever dreamt about lurid disco dollies ;), sex dwarves:b, saying hello:), waving goodbye:frowning:, or has simply been hit with a wicked case of tainted amore;) :b :) :frowning: :D :angry:.
Len

Funny, I just read a mini review of that DVD just this morning. It's a software conversion of German to English so it's a bit tough to follow. If you're interested: http://216.239.39.120/translate_c?hl...8%26oe%3Dutf-8 That's one heck of a url, isn't it.
I don't have the DVD but of course I had to rush out and grab "Cruelty Without Beauty" the day it came out. Despite some obvious filler there are some decent tracks. Like you said, it's Soft Cell so I had to grab it.
Out of curiosity, do you follow any other Synthpop bands? My love for the 80's is still with me. The best CD of late just has to be Interpol's "Turn On The Bright Lights" which seems to me to draw heavily from Joy Division and perhaps the Chameleons but is still remarably fresh.
Regards,
jc

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks