What's new

The Golden Globes (1 Viewer)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Look, we all need to face the fact that - no matter how impeccable the production values were for The Passion of the Christ, it was an enormously controversial movie, and controversial material has been shunned by award groups for decades. No one wants to appear to be sanctioning a side in the controversey.

Caviezel and Gibson and Debney can take heart. Time will be kinder to the film than the awards groups have been - many films that we now consider to be the best ever made were either losers at the Oscars or complete no-shows.

Now, I rarely pick who I think will win these things, I only select who I want to win, so here are my favorites:

The nominees:

Motion Picture, Drama
Million Dollar Baby

Actor - Drama
Johnny Depp, Finding Neverland

Actor - Musical/Comedy
Paul Giamatti, Sideways

Best Director:
Clint Eastwood, Million Dollar Baby

Actress - Drama:
Hilary Swank, Million Dollar Baby

Actress - Musical/Comedy:
Kate Winslet, Eternal Sunshine

Movie Musical Comedy:
Eternal Sunshine (wtf is this doing in the comedy category?)

Actress - Supporting role:
Cate Blanchett, The Aviator

Actor - Supporting Role
Morgan Freeman, Million Dollar Baby

Screenplay:
Eternal Sunshine

Song:
Polar Express

Foreign:
House of Flying Daggers

Score:
Million Dollar Baby
(where is The Incredibles? The Passion?)

Eric Howell

Stunt Coordinator
Those four bastards will have to go through life knowing they lost an acting award to William Shatner. :)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Congrats to Clive Owen and Natalie Portman for winning the Supporting Actor/Supporting Actress Globes tonight for their work in "Closer".

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I was thrilled with the double win for Closer. Those were my personal favorite supporting roles, but the momentum with the Guilds had me thinking the film was fading (and might still be in some circles).

As I said in the Oscars thread, the Globes are a great showcase of the nominated films for Academy voters, all of whom are happy because they are being fed and getting drunk. :)

Maybe Closer still has some push with the Oscars.

In any case, they got their well-earned Globes at least.

Yeah, Michael Imperioli looked PISSED.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Congrats to Annette Bening for winning the Best Actress in a Musical or Comedy Globe tonight for her work in the comedy "Being Julia".

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Sideways gets the script win. I almost think it could win over Aviator for Best Pix if they were paired up at this point.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Sideways was great, but I think they should split original and adapted, and Eternal Sunshine deserved an award too.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Really fun lifetime acceptance speech by Robin Williams, part comedy routine, part roast, and part sincerity when I least expected it. It was also nice for him to close out accepting it with a dedication to Christopher Reeve.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
The "Desperate Housewives" win isn't surprising considering its popularity, but still disappointing. At least it wasn't "Will & Grace"

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Heh, Hilary Swank just made the joke everyone knew was coming, but it was still funny--at the end of her acceptance speech, she quickly ran through a lot of people she was thanking, and then said something like, "let's see, anyone else, who could there be...just kidding!" And then she thanked her husband.

Oh, and congrats to her on her richly deserved win!

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
looking like a losing night for Neverland. Too bad :frowning: Oh well...still the years best in MY book :b

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well things were spread around a bit. Yeah, Neverland sort of missed out, but it's still in the Oscar mix. There were sort of surprises, but nothing shocking.

Really nothing was sorted out in terms of Oscar, but it was nice to see several different films getting some appreciation.

The Swank moment was a good one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks