What's new

The Goldbergs (1949-56) (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Neil Brock

Everybody has their price. After 20 years, someone finally met his. He still has quite a few World Series games from the 50s squirreled away. Who knows, maybe in another 20 years he'll let another one out.
The saddest part about stuff like this is that eventually, these people are going to die off, their heirs probably won't know or care about this stuff, and it will be trashed and lost forever.

Same thing will probably happen with a lot of the older, early tape traders who have rare stuff (like Game Shows), but would never part with 'em to be released to a mass audience.

Anyway, never seen the Goldbergs, or really heard of it, but I'll be picking up this set when it's available.

Assuming there are special features, what kind of stuff would be available?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, it looks like I'll get my answer soon enough...

http://www.shoutfactory.com/browse/313/exclusives.aspx

The Goldbergs has been put up on the Shout Factory exclusives page, and is due out on 3/16/10.

No disc by disc breakdown yet, and it isn't available for pre-order at this time, but it has a sale date!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
The syndicated 39 are all in the set. But those are actually a pale imitation of the live show, similar to the final seasons of many long running TV series.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
How exactly did they get their hands on the Dumont episodes ? Wasn't most of their entire stock of shows destroyed ?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by David Rain

How exactly did they get their hands on the Dumont episodes ? Wasn't most of their entire stock of shows destroyed ?

UCLA archive has a large DuMont collection of several hundred shows.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So... anyone else ordered or received a copy of this yet?

I pre-ordered mine about a week ago, it arrived in the mail today.

All I've watched so far is the before and after restoration featurette.

Honestly, with the clips they pulled for the featurette, sometimes I think the pre-restoration stuff looks better.

Anyway, 6 discs, and booklet that gives a brief overview of the series and episode descriptions.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
Does anyone know how long Shout will keep this set an exclusive? I would really like it, but don't really want to pay the full $59.95 retail plus shipping to buy it. Also, Obsolete man have you watched additional episodes, and what is your opinion of those as far as quality.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Has anyone turned up a list of episodes and airdates for the shows on the box?

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
For anyone really interested in the Goldbergs, here is a link to the first of three pages of downloads of their classic radio show - Over 200 shows available completely for free:

http://www.archive.org/details/Goldbergs_page1

Old Time Radio is really where it is at. I now have over 30,000 shows, and I only started this hobby six months ago.

docdoowop

Second Unit
Real Name
Curt
Can we get any forum comments on the new Shout! Factory Goldbergs box? Stu Galbraith over at DVDTalk has dubbed it a "Collector Series" title.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
If anyone is interested in seeing at least the syndicated episodes before you buy the set they are now airing on Jewish Life TV. A warning if you're going to tape them - JLTV runs a news crawl at the bottom of the screen.Update

Update - the episode on @ 6am today was a live episode with sponsor's commericals for Rybutol (the open and close commercials featuring Molly) and a DuMont tag and no crawl at the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks