What's new

The Gold Rush: differences between the 1925 and 1942 versions (1 Viewer)

nousername

Supporting Actor
Is there a website that lists the differences between the original and 1942 releases of this great movie? I can't find any.

I watched the 1925 version and loved it. I started to watch the 1942 version but could not stand the narration. I understand from this review that there are other differences besides the narration, but it does not list them.

Anyone know what the differences are off by heart?

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Not exactly, but I believe the '42 version is a bit longer, and also uses some alternate takes of some of the scenes. Which ones, I don't know.

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
I know the final shots are different. In the 1925 version, the Little Tramp is shown smiling with Georgia, and the movie ends with the couple kissing while getting their picture taken by a photographer on the deck of the ship they were on. I read somewhere that the critics of the time didn't like this because they thought a happy ending with the Little Tramp smiling betrayed the lonely poignancy of the character. So perhaps reacting to this criticism, Chaplin cut those final shots out and the 1942 version of the movie ends with the Little Tramp and Georgia heading up the steps to where the photographer has his camera set-up.

Now I actually like Chaplin's narration in the 1942 version and also like that in that version, I can watch the movie without the inter-titles breaking up the visuals by popping up in the middle of scenes. But the ending of the 1925 version is superior simply for being a more fitting, less abrupt ending to the film, and hence I think the 1925 version is the better version of the movie.

And there are also some other cuts and changes within the 1942 version, but I don't know what they all are.

Addition:
The "Cut List" page at the DVDFile site lists the differences between the 1925 and 1942 versions (scroll to the very botton of the page. Note that the write-up calls Chaplin's character "Charlie" instead of the Little Tramp or the Lone Prospector):
http://www.dvdfile.com/software/cut_list/index.html

nousername

Supporting Actor
Ahhh! How did I miss that? I went to the "Cut List" webpage but did not see "The Gold Rush" listed at the top. I didn't know you had to scroll all the way down to find it.

Thanks! That's exactly the kind of info I was looking for.

And just for the record, I watched the 1942 version just now and I must say I MUCH prefer the original version...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I find it insufferable every time Chaplin refers to his characters as "The Little Fellow" in the '42 re-issue. It's both condescending and egotistical. Unfortunately, this is also the version that was lavished with all the restoration efforts, and looks ten times better than the '25, even on the Warner Bros set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks