What's new

The Godzilla US Blu-Ray Thread (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah IRC Anchor Bay (then the owner of the New World catalog) tried to release 1985 on dvd back around 2001-ish, but ran into the same clearance problems that S23 did. Long and short of it, that version's long gone into the same either as the notorious old Nausicaa dub.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
This is very exciting news!!
I'll be adding this to my pre-order list as soon as Amazon has it up!

It's frustrating that we won’t be getting the 1985 cut of the movie -- the only cut that most of us have any experience with. Truth be told, though, if it was included I would probably only view it once -- just for the nostalgia aspect -- and all subsequent viewings would then be of the original Japanese version. So ... No great loss; and very happy to finally be able to add this to my collection!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I never watched Godzilla 1985, so I guess I won't know what I'm missing. I can't wait to see 'The Return Of Godzilla'.

Anyone else hoping for the Classic Media releases to make it to Blu-Ray? Some of my favorites are in there including....:)don't hit me;)
'Godzilla's Revenge'.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Seeing as Classic Media is now owned by Universal, you're going to be waiting a LOOOOOOOOONG time for their titles.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
That's a damn shame about the Raymond Burr scenes, but honestly it's no big deal for me. I'd love to have them, but I'll still buy the hell out of the disc when it drops and retire my Korean release from 2001.

No, what REALLY sucks?

Seeing as Classic Media is now owned by Universal, you're going to be waiting a LOOOOOOOOONG time for their titles.

Oh come on, if even these tiny studios can put out a blu ray to cash in on a new Godzilla release, why the hell cant a multi billion dollar entity like Universal? At least let Shout! have them or something! They would do up G proper*, I bet!

*within the constraints laid down by the Oft-onerous Toho, that is.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
The other bonus to getting The Return of Godzilla through TRSI? Apparently they'll ship your disc a month early! I just got word that the package with G85 (and some anime) dropped in the mail today. They're pretty fast in shipping, so I'll have this by friday for sure.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Just got my copy of "Godzilla '84" in this week and had an opportunity to view it this morning.

I have to say I was a little bit disappointed in the transfer. The video seemed a little "muddy" for Blu-ray. And was the OAR really 1.85:1??

Still very happy to finally have this in my collection. There were some really cool scenes in the flick, and the new "Godzilla head" was very effective. Kind of weird seeing all of that "Cold War" stuff in this movie though ...

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Is Universal, by itself or a third-party label, ever going to release the Japanese version of "King Kong V. Godzilla" stateside? Do they not have the rights?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Universal would not have rights to the Japanese version of KK vs. G.
Correct and they never did have the rights to it. The Japanese version has always belonged to Toho. But Universal has exclusive rights to the title in the US which is only the US version so it gets complicated. Basically I don't think anyone could legally release the Japanese version in the US without getting the film licensed from Toho and then get US rights licensed from Universal which would obviously make the cost very expensive.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Correct and they never did have the rights to it. The Japanese version has always belonged to Toho. But Universal has exclusive rights to the title in the US which is only the US version so it gets complicated. Basically I don't think anyone could legally release the Japanese version in the US without getting the film licensed from Toho and then get US rights licensed from Universal which would obviously make the cost very expensive.

The Japanese version has recently been restored in 4k and the 55th anniversary (of the U.S. version) is next year, so who knows? Perhaps Shout/ Scream Factory might get it (both versions) through their deal with Universal.
Hey it's okay to dream...

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Does anybody know when the new (limited release) 2016 "Shin Godzilla" movie might show up on Blu-ray?

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Anyone know if any updates on when Criterion will release blu-rays of the Godzilla catalog they have and air on Starz ? It's been quite a while .There were talks of a box set that would make the most sense but nothing yet . Aside from the D.A.M blu-ray first run were there ever any other blu's that had the AIP dub included ? 0 chance they ever will ? Would be nice for dual versions one japan with subs and the other the AIP version .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks