What's new

UHD Review The Godfather Trilogy – UHD Blu ray Review (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
the content of a shot was changed in the welcome to Vegas optical, so that a cleaner shot could be used.

you don’t do that.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
the content of a shot was changed in the welcome to Vegas optical, so that a cleaner shot could be used.

you don’t do that.

I didn't notice it.

If it's the dissolve from Micheal sitting in his home office to the first shots of Vegas and the marquees, I checked it against the BD and saw no difference that jumped out at me.

Perhaps I am looking at the wrong scene?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I didn't notice it.

If it's the dissolve from Micheal sitting in his home office to the first shots of Vegas and the marquees, I checked it against the BD and saw no difference that jumped out at me.

Perhaps I am looking at the wrong scene?
It’s not going to affect your pug’s happiness, Ron.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
My thoughts?

Forgetabout the shot. Watch RAH instead.

I think someone at Paramount owes him an apology. Sony sure knows how to treat him as he should be.
No one owes me an apology.

My company was hired to do a job, which we did to the best of our capability under the conditions that existed both technically, and at the studio archive in 2007.

We followed not only best archival practices, but directives as offered by both Mr. Coppola and Mr. Willis.

Those directives were simple.

The films must be frame perfect to the originals as far as content.

If footage must be replaced, it must match the original in all regards outside of a forensic examination of grain structure.

Color, density, black and white levels, as well as shadow detail should match original prints, unless reference varied from perfection. And must also go through final approval by Mr. Willis and Mr, Coppola.

Grain structure was not to be touched.

As copyright holder, Paramount probably has the right to destroy the IP if they so desire.

If an apology is owed, it’s to Mr. Willis, for doing everything in their power to go 180 degrees against his wishes.

As noted.

Simple.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
4k UHD, as you know, has atleast double the storage capacity of standard Blu ray. Why couldn't they have included both DNR'd and Un--DNR'd (they could've called them "filtered" and "unfiltered") options??. By only including this version, they're making quite an assumption (or number of assumptions)...

Last edited:

Britton

Screenwriter
4k UHD, as you know, has atleast double the storage capacity of standard Blu ray. Why couldn't they have included both DNR'd and Un--DNR'd (they could've called them "filtered" and "unfiltered") options??. By only including this version, they're making quite an assumption (or number of assumptions)...
Because 💰

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
Money makes the world go round,
The world go round,
The world go round,
That clinking clanking sound ... will help Francis pay for Megalopolis (no way to get that to rhyme with anything, and I ain't Cole Porter)!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Would probably compromise the PQ at least somewhat if they did that. Afterall, these aren't just 90min movies, and 4K/DV also requires substantially more capacity than 1080p/SDR -- and the full/original grain 4K could probably use the extra space even if the degrained version doesn't...

_Man_

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This week at least at my local Regal they are showing in RPX Godfather on Monday, Godfather part II on Tuesday, Godfather, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone on Wednesday. They do not have dolby vision so I'm not sure what masters they are using.

Tickets are $5.

John Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Gilmore
Just curious: I remember reading threads in the streaming forum stating that when films are remastered in 4K, iTunes generally updates all resolutions to the new master, but Vudu and Amazon usually do not. Wondering if this is the case with the 1080p presentations of Godfather and Godfather II.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This week at least at my local Regal they are showing in RPX Godfather on Monday, Godfather part II on Tuesday, Godfather, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone on Wednesday. They do not have dolby vision so I'm not sure what masters they are using.

Tickets are $5.

I would suspect the new version - Paramount has DCPs available for standard 4K (and 2K, for that matter) projection that have been screened at other venues this year.

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
They’ve been moved to the storage facility from the end of Raiders…
No, they're being vaulted for a few years until they're ready to release the 4K blu-ray box of the "Now, see them as they were originally shown in theaters" version - and (wait for it) director approved! Get out your wallets again, boys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks