What's new

The Godfather Trilogy and The Godfather Saga (1 Viewer)

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
I am sorry to say that this new version as great as it is ,is missing more than the Novel for Television titles,some of the longer trims

are missing ,like the Don and Mike going into the garden before Mikes trip to Vegas ,or the pan of the don's house before Mike gets

his cooking lesson for 50 guys,I would guess the shot of Mike by the lake (Footage cut from Godfather 2) is also missing ,haven't got to that yet

why these were cut is anyone's guess ,so don't throw that AMC version away yet

Dee Zee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
I watched about 2/3 of the HBO presentation on Sunday night. The AV quality was okay, better than the original DVD, but nowhere near the level of the 4K restorations on Blu-Ray.
HBO is screening this again tonight. I did DVR the first screening. But I agree, the image looks a bit soft and I'm seeing video artifacts on my 60 inch TV like this is taken from some video intermediate format. The blu-ray are superior.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
If it's ever released on Blu, they need to fix the chronology of the kidnapping scene in THE GODFATHER, where Michael calls Tom in an added scene, put in after Tom has been taken by Solozzo.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
for those who missed the saga here's the difference

Attachments

• cut 1.jpg
    cut 1.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 70
  • end title.jpg
    end title.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 69
  • lake1.jpg
    lake1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 72
  • lake2.jpg
    lake2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 69

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
IF only the studio would consider making available either of the main chronological versions (Saga or Trilogy) and/or any of the TV or video variants of said - if not for Blu-ray or DVD then at least for HD streaming/ download!

BTW, I recently FINALLY got around to watching the restored versions of the individual films in Blu-ray (have long owned the 'Coppola Restorations' on DVD, but never seen the high-def version) and was BLOWN-AWAY all over again. Mr. Harris' work is - as we all know here - second to none, and Godfather i & II are certainly no exception.
If I've just one peeve about anything - about the films I have none - I suppose it's Paramount's rather bombastic "new" opening logos for each (even if they are in "Godfather-tint"). Personally, I'd have preferred either the original logos or none at all. Oh well, can't have everything...

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
IF only the studio would consider making available either of the main chronological versions (Saga or Trilogy) and/or any of the TV or video variants of said - if not for Blu-ray or DVD then at least for HD streaming/ download!

BTW, I recently FINALLY got around to watching the restored versions of the individual films in Blu-ray (have long owned the 'Coppola Restorations' on DVD, but never seen the high-def version) and was BLOWN-AWAY all over again. Mr. Harris' work is - as we all know here - second to none, and Godfather i & II are certainly no exception.
If I've just one peeve about anything - about the films I have none - I suppose it's Paramount's rather bombastic "new" opening logos for each (even if they are in "Godfather-tint"). Personally, I'd have preferred either the original logos or none at all. Oh well, can't have everything...

The films did not have original logos.

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
The films did not have original logos.

I had actually suspected that might have been the case. The films (like most Paramount films, of course) do open with the words "Paramount pictures presents...", rendering any opening logo basically negligible. Thanks for the confirmation, RAH.
I can live with the current opening logo (it's not like I have much choice), tho it continues to seem somewhat out-of-place at the front of these films.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I had actually suspected that might have been the case. The films (like most Paramount films, of course) do open with the words "Paramount pictures presents...", rendering any opening logo basically negligible. Thanks for the confirmation, RAH.
I can live with the current opening logo (it's not like I have much choice), tho it continues to seem somewhat out-of-place at the front of these films.

Paramount requested the addition of the logos, and Mr. Coppola agreed, albeit with a caveat.

Six seconds, or thereabouts of black between the logo, and the opening notes of music, so that the original concept would still be viable.

I have no problem with the way that this was handled, as all parties agreed, inclusive of the studio allowing its logo to be Willisized.

RAH

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Between Francis Ford Coppola and Woody Allen's films,
I believe that Diane Keaton was the actor to be most photographed by Gordon Willis.
I would love to have learned about his varied collaborations and experiences in working with her.
Meanwhile, weren't the original Godfather logos also to be found within the other Paramount films from '72 and '74.
If not, does this mean that the logos were of a specific design customized for both of the films, upon their initial releases?

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Between Francis Ford Coppola and Woody Allen's films,
I believe that Diane Keaton was the actor to be most photographed by Gordon Willis.
I would love to have learned about his varied collaborations and experiences in working with her.
Meanwhile, weren't the original Godfather logos also to be found within the other Paramount films from '72 and '74.
If not, does this mean that the logos were of a specific design customized for both of the films, upon their initial releases?

No. There were standard issue logos at the tail.

A book on Mr. Willis' career has been in the wings for several years. A very high quality effort, that hopefully will arrive before long.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Fantastic news about the Gordon Willis book.
Well, you've gotta give me credit for having good ideas; even if someone else had them first.
Looking forward to it.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
No. There were standard issue logos at the tail.

A book on Mr. Willis' career has been in the wings for several years. A very high quality effort, that hopefully will arrive before long.
FOOTNOTE:
It would be great to discover in Mr. Willis' book a chapter, or two, concerning his collaborations with RAH on the restorations of "The Godfather", "The Godfather, Part II" and "My Fair Lady".
Although there are already many established stories concerning these three efforts; via BD commentary tracks and periodicals; it would be nice to have it all compiled and contained within one volume, in addition to the other stories of his life's work.

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member