What's new

The Godfather Part III Returns to Theaters for 30th Anniversary with an All-New Cut

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Title: The Godfather: Part III

Tagline: All the power on earth can't change destiny.

Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller

Director: Francis Ford Coppola

Cast: Al Pacino, Diane Keaton, Talia Shire, Andy García, Eli Wallach, Joe Mantegna, George Hamilton, Bridget Fonda, Sofia Coppola, Raf Vallone, Franc D'Ambrosio, Donal Donnelly, Richard Bright, Helmut Berger, Don Novello, John Savage, Franco Citti, Mario Donatone, Vittorio Duse, Enzo Robutti, Michele Russo, Al Martino, Robert Cicchini, Rogerio Miranda, Carlos Miranda, Vito Antuofermo, Robert Vento, Willie Brown, Jeannie Linero, Jeanne Savarino Pesch, Janet Savarino Smith, Tere Livrano, Carmine Caridi, Don Costello, Al Ruscio, Mickey Knox, Rick Aviles, Michael Bowen, Brett Halsey, Gabriele Torrei, Brian Freilino, Gregory Corso, Marino Masé, Dado Ruspoli, Valeria Sabel, Remo Remotti, Luigi Laezza, Giuseppe Pianviti, Santo Indelicato, Simonetta Stefanelli, Francesco Paolo Bellante, Paco Reconti, Mimmo Cuticchio, Richard Honigman, Nicky Blair, Anthony Guidera, Frank Tarsia, Diana Agostini, Jessica DiCicco, Catherine Scorsese, Ida Bernardini, Joe Drago, David Hume Kennerly, James D. Damiano, Michael Boccio, Ludovico Caldarera, R. Emmett Fitzsimmons, Salvatore Borgese, Salvatore Billa, Frank Ferrara, Gia Coppola, Joe Fontana, Richard Maldone, Tony Devon, Anton Coppola, Carmine Coppola, Ron Jeremy, F.X. Vitolo, David L. Thompson, Angelo Romero, Madelyn Renée Monti, Luciano Foti, Frank Albanese, John Abineri

Release: 1990-12-25

Runtime: 170

Plot: In the midst of trying to legitimize his business dealings in 1979 New York and Italy, aging mafia don, Michael Corleone seeks forgiveness for his sins while taking a young protege under his wing.

Soon I'll have a reason to re-watch a film I haven't seen in about 20 years, albeit a completely different edit:

The Godfather Part III Returns to Theaters for 30th Anniversary with an All-New Cut

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I don't hate Godfather III. I don't love it either. It pales by comparison to I and II. But I can't see how we need this.

If they're going to do this, we need a comprehensive box set of UHD/ blu-rays with all cuts of the movies together through seamless branching. I have no faith that will happen, but that's what should happen.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I like part III a lot. I'm interested to see the new version. I really liked FFC's new cut of Apocalypse Now.

Reactions: PMF

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I don't hate Godfather III. I don't love it either. It pales by comparison to I and II. But I can't see how we need this.

If they're going to do this, we need a comprehensive box set of UHD/ blu-rays with all cuts of the movies together through seamless branching. I have no faith that will happen, but that's what should happen.
Yes give us the first 2 films in chronological order (I think there’s a laserdisc of this), the Q&A that came after a screening a couple of years ago. Hell, give us everything available for The Godfather trilogy- I’d buy that package.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
But Al Pacino! "Just when they thought I was out—they pull me back in!"

Reactions: PMF

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I haven't seen this in more years than I can remember, and you all are going to force me to watch it again.

No, it's not that bad, but it is a letdown from the previous two. And I'm sorry, but Sofia is just awful in it. However, I don't think Winona was a good casting decision either. Actually, Rebecca Schaeffer might have been good in the role, if she hadn't been tragically murdered.

laser

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matty
(Comment from my mother)

Ahem. If they change the opening, I don't care. But there is no need for a new ending. The last couple of minutes, starting on the steps with things going dark and you can see only outlines, with Michael's memories beginning, and finally him falling over dead in Sicily with a little dog prancing about, uncaring - is a fabulous, magnificent ending to the whole thing. How this can be improved on, I don't know. This final couple of minutes undoes the flaws of the film (some imperfect acting, foolish dialog, etc.) and turns it into something memorable.

Generally speaking, creators (writers, directors, etc.) always want to do things their own way, and not the way the public might see them and they don't seem to realize this. A film is not a musical composition. I think FFC might ruin things with this little project, but I am willing to wait & see. In any case, how can you un-see something.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I have watched the first 2 films quite a few times, but have only seen the first 45 or 50 minutes of #3- I just couldn’t get into it. This may be a strange reason why, but Pacino looked and sounded nothing like he did in the first 2 films, which takes something away from Michael’s character.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
This may be a strange reason why, but Pacino looked and sounded nothing like he did in the first 2 films, which takes something away from Michael’s character.

Michael aged 35 years between the first and last movies, smoked, and had diabetes. It would have been distracting if he hadn't looked and sounded different.

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Michael aged 35 years between the first and last movies, smoked, and had diabetes. It would have been distracting if he hadn't looked and sounded different.
True, but I thought his ruthlessness from film #2 seemed to be gone along with his physical changes.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
The last couple of minutes, starting on the steps with things going dark and you can see only outlines, with Michael's memories beginning, and finally him falling over dead in Sicily with a little dog prancing about, uncaring - is a fabulous, magnificent ending to the whole thing. How this can be improved on, I don't know.

"But in the end, you chose to end the film with a little dog coming up to our character...A perfect ending to sum up the film."
"No, I don't know whose dog it was...If I find out whose dog it was, y'know, I'd kill him, because it put the leg up on the camera."
- Benny Hill

But Al Pacino! "Just when they thought I was out—they pull me back in!"

The line was rather beaten to death in the trailer, hence the SNL Al Pacino "Godfather Pt. 7" sketch at the time, where Michael Corleone is now a futuristic brain in a jar--"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in again!"

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.