What's new

The Godfather - A Novel for DVD (1 Viewer)

Ryan_M_M

Stunt Coordinator
I was watching over some old TV episodes of the Godfather: A Novel for Televsion and wonder will Paramount release the Godfather in this format within the next few years? Doing some research over the net, I found this TV version (which was toned for language and violence) does contain more footage than the 1981 Epic release on video, but the 1992 trilogy release has the same extra footage, plus the violence, with no alterations to the language. Feedback?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Do the current Godfather DVDs contain ALL the extra footage in the deleted scenes section?

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
the current GOdfather DVD does in fact have all of the Godfather "TV" footage. This version had better never come out separately on DVD. It ruins Godfather Part II.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
the current GOdfather DVD does in fact have all of the Godfather "TV" footage. This version had better never come out separately on DVD. It ruins Godfather Part II.
I couldn't agree more. The thing that cracks me up is when the people who prefer the chronological order of "The Complete Novel For Television" claim that it's the way Mario Puzo intended when the young Vito stuff in the novel comes later in the book. :) "The Godfather" was never intended to be told in strict chronological order, and doing so totally ruins the parallel of Vito's rise and Michael's fall in "Part II".

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
It ruins Godfather Part II.
Not IMHO. Godfather Part II is still great whether or not the novel/saga/whatever is released separately. There is an interesting dramatic effect looking at the parallels between Vito and Michael over an extended chronological arc inclusive of the GF1 material. Obviously, the intercutting in GF2 is very effective as well. I like both for different reasons.
Of course, the merits of either version are independent of the question of availability, so I'll stop polluting the thread now. ;)
Regards,

Ryan_M_M

Stunt Coordinator
I am extremely doubful that the DVD contains all the extra footage. I am sure someone in this forum claimed to have seen footage missing from the DVD that appeared in one of the chronological adaptations. I for one don't prefer it to the theatrical versions since, Part 2 can appear a somewhat mess in the Tv adaptation, since Godfather II was primary to mirror Michael's life with the young vito. Still, it's good to see the extra footage put in some sort of edit.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Check out this site to see what was and wasn't on the extra scenes. Not every single scenes from The Saga / Trilogy / Novel for TV versions was on the DVDs, but most were.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
Definitely check out the jgeoff.com site that's linked above. There is a good amount of information there about the different incarnations of the 3 films.

bill lopez

Second Unit
In NO WAY does the dvd GODFATHER contain all the t.v. scenes! One quick example scenes I'll give you is Michael Corleone walking his dog in the early morning along his Nevada home. And there are more but too many to write about.

I'v watched GODFATHER on t.v. in the 70's and all the VHS,Laserdiscs versions thru the years so I know about the scenes. One of the main reason's I was disapointed in the dvd. So sooner or later they are going to put out the epic and it'll be another $50 plus for the consumer to spend on the same movie. They should have released each film alone as is it was released at the theater and have also the Epic Novel as a Boxset gift collecters Edition for $75.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Seeing as the Trilogy was just released, I wouldn't expect the "Epic Novel" for a few years, as most consumers wouldn't buy it again. I know I wouldn't.

I'm sure many people want it, but how many would shell out another $50-$75 for it? Clearly, too, the OT is Coppola's preferred vision, since he brought that out first, and anyway, that's the version that won all the Oscars.

I think the right decision was made in bringing out the OT as the Collector's Box Set. Bring out a lesser edition of the edited version later, maybe, and at a much lower price point.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
For the record, I WOULD NEVER EVER BUY THE GODFATHER FILMS IN SOME BASTARDIZED TV VERSION. Godfather 1 is one of the best movies ever made and Part 2 is great for the parallel stories. All these TV ones, Godfather Saga and THE Complete Novel, just aren't right. If I wanted a novel, I'd read a book.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I would be surprised of the Godfather Saga/Trilogy with all of the added footage incorporated doesn't see the light of day on DVD. I'm sure there are many fans of this fine trilogy who would buy another version on DVD. Just check out some of the prices that the LDs are going for on eBay (the ones with additional footage incorporated).

Paramount did the right thing by releasing the theatrical versions of the films first. I remember fellow HTF'er Ken Seeber posing the following question--how could you not want two of the best films ever made?

I'm very happy with The Godfather Trilogy. As big of a Star Wars fan as I am, I wanted the GF Trilogy on DVD much more than Star Wars.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Reviving this thread because I'm curious to know if anyone has heard rumors to release the enlongated Godfather on DVD.

Mario Puzo and Francis Ford Copolla endorsed the mini-series / Novel For Television / Saga that assembled the first two films in chronological order with additional footage that didn't make the theatrical release. A vhs and laser disc version of same re-instated violence that had been cut for the tv airing. Copolla himself made the assembly and insured that it was done right. The mini-series / Novel For Television / Saga is every bit as much his statement as the feature films.

The mini-series / Novel For Television / Saga was different, but no less fascinating than the feature films. There is a shift in emphasis. Some things are lost, but other things are gained. It's another way to enjoy The Godfather.

Has anyone heard rumblings at Paramount to release the Saga version on DVD? I for one would welcome it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i would buy it.

i just missed getting a laser version near it's end.

i would still watch the ot version too.

but i do like the saga.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I would buy it out of sheer curiosity & would love to see all the TV scenes. Also, as a film student I would be very interested in seeing how the re-edit would alter the films.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
I love the "saga" version as well. As someone stated earlier, it has a different emphasis. It plays differently and I enjoy it very much. I would buy it if it sees the light of day. The extra scenes punch up the drama and add insight to the characters, much like the extended versions of LOTR.

The "Novel for TV" version is a bit muddled, though. I wouldn't buy that.

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor
Another not included extra scene used during the credits for the TV version is when Kay is in church lighting a candle for Michael's soul, a bit from the original book.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i think the saga and novel are the same just a different name?

Jo_C

Second Unit
Æåõò éáðôåé, etc.
Huh? Could that possibly be a Corleone curse as to why the "saga" has never been issued on DVD? Or perhaps you could provide an English translation?

Seriously, I think Coppola should come out with the "saga" on DVD as a curio.

Brett_M

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett Meyer
The Saga is a recut of Parts 1 and 2 in chronological order with additional scenes. The Novel for TV has even more scenes but it's heavily edited for language and violence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks