What's new

The Godfather 50th Anniversary Back In Theaters (1972)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Title: The Godfather 50th Anniversary Back In Theaters

Tagline: An offer you can't refuse.

Genre: Drama, Crime

Director: Francis Ford Coppola

Cast: Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, James Caan, Robert Duvall, Richard S. Castellano, Diane Keaton, Talia Shire, Gianni Russo, Sterling Hayden, Al Lettieri, Abe Vigoda, John Cazale, Richard Conte, John Marley, Rudy Bond, Al Martino, Morgana King, Lenny Montana, John Martino, Alex Rocco, Salvatore Corsitto, Tony Giorgio, Victor Rendina, Simonetta Stefanelli, Saro Urzì, Sofia Coppola, Louis Guss, Gabriele Torrei, Tony King, Richard Bright, Vito Scotti, Tere Livrano, Julie Gregg, Angelo Infanti, Corrado Gaipa, Franco Citti, Max Brandt, Carmine Coppola, Roman Coppola, Don Costello, Robert Dahdah, Gray Frederickson, Ron Gilbert, Sonny Grosso, Joe Lo Grippo, Randy Jurgensen, Tony Lip, Lou Martini Jr., Raymond Martino, Joseph Medaglia, Rick Petrucelli, Sal Richards, Tom Rosqui, Frank Sivero, Filomena Spagnuolo, Nick Vallelonga, Joe Spinell, Conrad Yama

Release: 1972-03-14

Runtime: 175

Plot: Spanning the years 1945 to 1955, a chronicle of the fictional Italian-American Corleone crime family. When organized crime family patriarch, Vito Corleone barely survives an attempt on his life, his youngest son, Michael steps in to take care of the would-be killers, launching a campaign of bloody revenge.

50th Anniversary. Back in theaters February 25.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
1642466304854.jpeg

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Thanks for the heads-up. I just got my tickets. I was surprised at how many seats have already been sold. When they did Schindler's List a few years ago, I think there were only 3 or 4 people there besides me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the heads-up. I just got my tickets. I was surprised at how many seats have already been sold. When they did Schindler's List a few years ago, I think there were only 3 or 4 people there besides me.
I've seen The Godfather at Fathom Events and art house revivals and outside of Jaws, I think it's the most popular older movie that I consistently see. When I saw the Schindler's List re-release, I was the only person in there.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The last time I saw this theatrically was circa 2010 with new 35mm prints struck from the restoration used on the prior Blu-ray, and that was sold out. I’m not sure that’ll translate exactly but I suspect this has more potential than many other of the recent re-releases that have been in premium theaters.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I remembering buying tickets in advance as I usually do and being surprised when I got there how necessary that had been!

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I remembering buying tickets in advance as I usually do and being surprised when I got there how necessary that had been!
That was my experience last night. I was thinking that being over a month away that I probably would be the first one to book a seat.

I can't wait to see it theatrically for the first time.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
That was my experience last night. I was thinking that being over a month away that I probably would be the first one to book a seat.

I doubt I’ll be able to go this time around but I certainly would if I could. The first movie I never tire of. I know some (many?) people prefer the second film and I think there’s a very legitimate case to be made for it but for me the first one is just a slice of perfection.

And quite possibly the best director’s audio commentary of all time, too.

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt I’ll be able to go this time around but I certainly would if I could. The first movie I never tire of. I know some (many?) people prefer the second film and I think there’s a very legitimate case to be made for it but for me the first one is just a slice of perfection.

Blasphemy!

Godfather Part II is my #1 favorite movie of all-time.

Seriously though, you can't go wrong whichever one you choose.

Like you, I would LOVE to see it in theaters, but unfortunately that will not be possible.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was in high school, when it first came out and read the book prior to seeing it in a movie theater. It was a great movie theater experience. I can't remember how many times I watched it in a movie theater, but it was more than two times.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt

Agree with your take that 1 is better than 2.
More memorable scenes, and better writing with a lot more memorable lines.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Thanks for the heads-up!

I might try seeing it in a matinee... maybe weekday matinee to avoid any crowds unless my movie buddies join me (and then, we'd probably try weekend matinee instead)...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I have tix to see it w/ a couple buddies tomorrow late-afternoon at the Times Square AMC -- that seems to be the best option over here in NYC... although we committed a bit late for optimal seating...

Actually, the Staten Island Mall AMC might be better, especially if still need tix at this point (as they still seem very empty for tomorrow), but my buddies prefer Manhattan...

_Man_

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.