The goal for each color setting in Avia

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thik Nongyow, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Thik Nongyow

Thik Nongyow Stunt Coordinator

Calibrators and other home theater experts, I need your help. I need to know what are the goals for each of the color setting calibrations found in Avia:

a) Needle Pulses + Steps
    Is the goal is to turn the white level until it shows signs of "blooming"?

b) Black Bars + Half Gray
    Is the goal is to make the darker left "bar" disappear, while having the brighter right "bar" still visible?

c) Blue Bars
    Is the goal for saturation is to make the flashing squares flash at the lowest rate? Is the same goes for hue?

d) Color Decoder Check
    I am quite confused on how to read it.

2. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

I am NOT an expert. Nor do I play one on TV.

But I may be able to help with some of your questions,until someone else stumbles along.

>>>a) Needle Pulses + Steps
    Is the goal is to turn the white level until it shows signs of "blooming"? >>>b) Black Bars + Half Gray
    Is the goal is to make the darker left "bar" disappear, while having the brighter right "bar" still visible? >c) Blue Bars
    Is the goal for saturation is to make the flashing squares flash at the lowest rate? Is the same goes for hue? d) Color Decoder Check
    I am quite confused on how to read it.

3. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I've found with the brightness adjustment that I usually end up going a step or two below where it seemed "right" in Avia.

I've also found that brightness/picture adjustments often need to be made for individual movies. I'm not talking wholesale changes, just small adjustments.

And don't forget to let your TV fully warm up before you go into Avia. Put in a movie and let it run for an hour or so before you jump into Avia settings.