1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

The Go Between: will this ever appear on DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bruce Morrison, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

As far as I know, Sony/Columbia still own the rights to The Go Between, but I wish I knew why it's never been released on DVD. If Sony aren't interested in releasing it, I would expect Criterion to jump at the chance. It's a classic, and its non-appearance is mystifying unless there are legal rights issues. Has anyone heard of possible reasons for the long delay?

2. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

I could be wrong, but wasn't there some news that the negatives of this film suffered some damage for they needed to strike a new print for a showing at UCLA but when they inspected the negatives, it had damage, so had to screen a beat up rental print?

3. Ruslan

Ruslan Stunt Coordinator

This film was recently given away free on DVD in the UK with a national newspaper...
    Sadly I did not pick up a copy. It may be worth checking any well-known auction sites, though I wonder whether the transfer will be any good.

4. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I have the UK give-a-way. Picture quality is very good but it is 4x3. It looks like a full frame transfer rather than pan and scan. It has a Columbia logo so must be from a US print.

5. Mathew B

Mathew B Stunt Coordinator

I have the disc too, but I haven't watched it yet. I'm at least thankful that it's open-matte after the newspaper gave me a Pan and Scan 'Junior Bonner'.

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    I only have a VHS version. It's one of those instant buys, if I ever spot a DVD version. Too bad I missed that give-away chance (I certainly would have taken a subscription to that newspaper for as long as necessary [​IMG] ).

Cees

7. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

There are three British films that won the Palme D'Or that are not yet available on DVD:

If.... (1968)
    The Go-Between (1970)
    The Hireling (1973)

If The Go-Between is being given away with newspapers in fullframe transfers, then something must be wrong. Does the transfer look 'new'? Why create a new, fullframe transfer of a film not available on DVD?

In any event, any future DVD would be well-served by including Hideo Nakata's (Ringu) feature-length, 1998 documentary, Joseph Losey: The Man with Four Names, featuring interviews with Julie Christie, James Fox, as well as the superb cinematographer Gerry Fisher, who collaborated with Losey on nine films including the beautifully lit, The Go-Between.

8. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

I'm a big Losey fan, and would really love to own this film. I can't believe it was given away free in a newspaper and is not available to buy...what a shame.

There are 2 other Losey films that may or may not be coming out on DVD in the UK:

Figures in a Landscape was supposed to come out in January from Paramount but never did. I have no idea what happened to this, I was really looking forward to buying it as I've never seen the film.

Secret Ceremony Amazon lists this as coming out in May, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

9. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I, too am a great admirer of Loe Losey. Here are what I consider Losey's most important films. In the brackets is who owns the DVD rights, although some of which I cannot ascertain.

The Lawless (1950, Paramount)
    I have never seen it, but it sounds interesting.

The Prowler (1951, MGM/Sony)
    Fine Noir with Van Heflin. Never been on home video.

M (1951, Columbia)
    Totally underappreciated remake of Lang's masterpiece.

The Big Night (1951, MGM/Sony)
    Excellent Hamletian 'coming-of-age' Noir.

The Sleeping Tiger (1954, ???)
    Brilliant, beautifully shot psychological thriller.
    Why is this not on DVD? Who owns the rights?

Time Without Pity (1957, on DVD from HVE)
    Intricate murder-mystery. Solid direction from Losey.

The Gypsy and the Gentleman (1958, ???)
    Custume drama pre-cursor to The Servant.

Blind Date (1959)
    Visually impressive mystery-thriller. Practically forgotten today.

The Criminal (1960, on DVD from Anchor Bay)
    Raw, exilirating crime drawa with superb performances
    from Stanley Baker and Sam Wanamaker.

Eva (1962, on DVD from Kino)
    Neglected for years, it was finally released on DVD in 2000 by Kino.
    While interesting and soildly directed, it isn't one of Losey's best.

The Damned (1963, Columbia)
    Why is this not on DVD? Very frustrating. Quintessential British 60s sci-fi.

Servant (1963, on DVD from Anchor Bay / Canal in UK)
    Dark, exquisitely acted examination of social status. Beautifully shot.

King & Country (1964, on DVD from VCI / BHE in UK)
    Brilliant anti-war drama set in First World War.

Accident (1967, on DVD from Anchor Bay / Canal in the UK)
    Slow, meditative and absorbing study in hubris and
    middle-aged dissatisfaction. Great performances.

Figures in a Landscape (1970, coming soon from Paramount)
    Massively underrated, almost-forgotten allegorical gem from Losey. Strange, sweaty atmosphere. I am so glad it is coming to DVD, as I'll finally been able to see the Panavision framing.

The Go-Between (1970, Columbia)
    Excellent adaptation. Sorely needed on DVD.

The Romantic Englishwoman (1975, on DVD in the UK from Odyssey Video)
    Beautifully shot and acted romantic drama.

Monsieur Klein (1976, on DVD from HVE)
    Awesome study in identity with a terrifying reversal of fortune for Alain Delon.
    Beautiful production design and shot in contrasting styles of decadence and despair.
    Great film. Should have been upgraded to a Criterion, I feel.

La Truite (1982, on DVD from HVE)
    I haven't seen this one - is it good?

The BBFC passed, Figures in a Landscape on 7 March 2006, with a "15" certificate, for DVD release: Go here

ASDA (!) list a May 29 release date, so fingers crossed.

10. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Thanks for that great list and that info on Figures in a Landscape Gordon! (I've been thanking you quite a bit lately[​IMG]) My hope of finally seeing this film is now rekindled.

The Damned is my most wanted Losey film on DVD, and in my overall top 5 most wanted DVDs. I've been dying, dying to see this film my entire life. A combination of my favorite Genre (sci-fi), one of my favorite actors (Oliver Reed), one of my favorite studios (Hammer) and one of my favorite directors.

11. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug

The picture is perfect. The disc is credited to Canal+Image UK.

12. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Jay, you are more than welcome. [​IMG]

I know where you can order a DVD-R of The Damned, ripped from the UK VHS, if you are interested.

A new print of Losey's 1951 remake of M will be screened at New York's Film Forum during May-June, so perhaps a DVD is coming soon from Sony.

13. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Bizarre. Why would Studio Canal create a new transfer in a 1.33:1 ratio? I wonder if that transfer was purely for the newspaper and that it was cropped from an anamorphic master that will used for an imminent sell-thru DVD?

14. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

Aren't most TVs in the UK 16:9 now? Why would they want to produce are 4:3 DVD of a widescreen film?

I saw La Truite on its first run and liked it at the time. I have no idea about the DVD quality.

Ted