The Glenn Miller Story on March 4

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_S_H, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    According to DVDFile, The Glenn Miller Story will be released on March 4 as a double-feature with The Benny Goodman Story. Glenn Miller is far from a great movie, but it's a solid Jimmy Stewart vehicle and one I'll definitely pick up.

2. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

If I'm "In The Mood", I'll pick up a copy! [​IMG]
    Gordy

3. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

I was just curious if anyone has had a chance to pick this up and how they look? What a couple of great musicians, sadly, they just don't make em' like that anymore.

4. Danny_N

Danny_N Second Unit

I only ordered The Glenn Miller Story and got it a couple of days ago. It's in 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen and has a very nice DD stereo surround track. Picture quality is okayish. It's somewhat soft and colors look faded but I did not see any real print damage. No extras not even a trailer. Obviously Universal did not spend major dollars on this but for the price you pay you can't complain.

Does anybody know if 1.85:1 is the OAR for The Glenn Miller Story? The IMDB (not the most reliable source I admit) lists it as being 1.37:1 originally and some scenes do look cropped on the DVD. The film was made in the middle of the change over from standard academy ratio to widescreen so I can imagine that it even was released theatrically in both full and matted widescreen but maybe someone knows for sure?

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I believe that "The Glenn Miller Story" was shot in the 1.37:1 ratio then was released by Universal in the matted widescreen ratio of 1.85:1 During that era, Universal was known for doing that with many of their titles.

Crawdaddy

6. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

A few years ago I was in a record store and was looking at the Benny Goodman section. There were several boxed sets of CDs including an imported 3 CD package of Goodman performances. The box was mostly blue with a smallish picture on the front. Amusingly, the photo was not of Goodman but Steve Allen who played him (rather poorly as Mr. Allen often said) in the film!

7. Billy Fogerty

Billy Fogerty Stunt Coordinator

I don't see this listed a a double feature on Amazon. They are sold seperatly.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Bill,
    Universal was originally going to release both titles as a double dvd package, but Universal changed their mind in February and decided to release the dvds separately since the start of this thread.

Crawdaddy