What's new

Pre-Order The Glenn Miller Story (1954) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
132008_front.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Reactions: PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched this today. Nice looking picture and very effective stereo sound. You have to wait over an hour to get to the "good stuff" (the "Glenn Miller sound"), but then it's just one smash hit after another. Miller was my dad's favorite bandleader, so I heard a steady stream of his hits while growing up. The music still resonates with me greatly.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
I love his music.

What's strange is Amazon shows you can buy the digital HD download of this same movie for $8.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I watched this today. Nice looking picture and very effective stereo sound. You have to wait over an hour to get to the "good stuff" (the "Glenn Miller sound"), but then it's just one smash hit after another. Miller was my dad's favorite bandleader, so I heard a steady stream of his hits while growing up. The music still resonates with me greatly.

Well, I don't know about the 'nice looking picture'. Sporadic, but grotesque misalignment of 3-strip Technicolor creating distracting color halos everywhere is not my idea of 'nice'! Good solid Stewart/Allyson vehicle marred by inconsistent PQ. Just a little tweaking could have made this one perfect. It's not. Regrets.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
"Nice" doesn't mean perfect which is why I wasn't more effusive about the picture quality. It's not all out of misalignment. I thought much of it looked just fine. But there are scenes with misalignment certainly.

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Just in that it's half the cost for the same or better option. You don't usually see 50% off discount of the digital over the disc.
Its not the same or better option. Digital Downloads are heavily compressed just like streaming and a step below blu ray versions if they are identical transfers because of this.

JQuintana

BANNED
Real Name
Me
Its not the same or better option. Digital Downloads are heavily compressed just like streaming and a step below blu ray versions if they are identical transfers because of this.

I would venture to guess this isn't totally the case and it would look equal to at least he disc. I've seen folks here on HTF comment how they couldn't tell the difference between a digital version of a movie vs. a disc. So for an old movie like this I'd say side by side most folks would never be able to tell the difference.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I would venture to guess this isn't totally the case and it would look equal to at least he disc. I've seen folks here on HTF comment how they couldn't tell the difference between a digital version of a movie vs. a disc. So for an old movie like this I'd say side by side most folks would never be able to tell the difference.
I have done many side by side comparisons and there is a noticeable difference but it probably depends on the screen size. On a 60" or bigger you will notice a difference but probably not as much on smaller than 60", but the digital will never be better if its the same transfer. There is also a very noticeable difference in audio just like CDs vs. streaming. The more compressed streaming/digital audio is not as full and spacious as an uncompressed audio on Blu Ray. This was the issue most of us coming from Laserdisc to DVD noticed. The picture was better on DVD vs Laserdisc but the uncompressed audio on LD's was so much fuller, more powerful and spacious compared to the compressed DVD audio. Blu Ray offering uncompressed audio has the same full sound that you cannot get from compressed files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
absplumbing
Recent bookmarks