1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We will be interviewing Criterion soon. Click here for details on how you can submit a question for us to ask.
    Dismiss Notice

The Glass Key - Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by t1g3r5fan, Mar 11, 2019.

1. t1g3r5fan

t1g3r5fan Supporting Actor
    Reviewer

Mychal Bowden
    PMF likes this.
  2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Thank you for the fine review. A personal favorite film of mine so I need to watch my copy so I can listen to the audio commentary. My last purchase of this film on home video as I have three different Blu-ray releases of it including the Arrow and Koch Region "B" releases.

One of my holy grail titles is the (1938) version of "The Glass Key" which I've never seen before and has never been released on disc in any format. Anyhow, at least the "This Gun for Hire" is coming out on Blu-ray in the next few months.

PMF likes this.
  3. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    I caught the first version of The Glass Key once over the air in NYC, sometime in the '70s. I'd love to see it again in a double feature with the Ladd version.

PMF likes this.
  4. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    William K. Everson screened it at the New School in the early 70's. A great film, muscularly directed, with possibly George Raft's best performance. Bill had a beautiful print of the picture, which gleamed and glowed, yet the visuals had a somewhat rough-hewn texture which perfectly matched the material. Though I love the later version of THE GLASS KEY, the earlier Frank Tuttle directed picture--1935 according to IMDB, which doesn't mean it's correct--is better overall and also more faithful to Hammett's novel.

PMF likes this.
  5. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    I didn't see it when Bill screened it, but I agree with your assessment of the earlier version. That's why I'd like to see it again!

lark144 likes this.
  6. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    You & me both!