Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Thank you for the fine review. A personal favorite film of mine so I need to watch my copy so I can listen to the audio commentary. My last purchase of this film on home video as I have three different Blu-ray releases of it including the Arrow and Koch Region "B" releases.

One of my holy grail titles is the (1938) version of "The Glass Key" which I've never seen before and has never been released on disc in any format. Anyhow, at least the "This Gun for Hire" is coming out on Blu-ray in the next few months.

Reactions: PMF

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Thank you for the fine review. A personal favorite film of mine so I need to watch my copy so I can listen to the audio commentary. My last purchase of this film on home video as I have three different Blu-ray releases of it including the Arrow and Koch Region "B" releases.

One of my holy grail titles is the (1938) version of "The Glass Key" which I've never seen before and has never been released on disc in any format. Anyhow, at least the "This Gun for Hire" is coming out on Blu-ray in the next few months.
I caught the first version of The Glass Key once over the air in NYC, sometime in the '70s. I'd love to see it again in a double feature with the Ladd version.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
I caught the first version of The Glass Key once over the air in NYC, sometime in the '70s. I'd love to see it again in a double feature with the Ladd version.
William K. Everson screened it at the New School in the early 70's. A great film, muscularly directed, with possibly George Raft's best performance. Bill had a beautiful print of the picture, which gleamed and glowed, yet the visuals had a somewhat rough-hewn texture which perfectly matched the material. Though I love the later version of THE GLASS KEY, the earlier Frank Tuttle directed picture--1935 according to IMDB, which doesn't mean it's correct--is better overall and also more faithful to Hammett's novel.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
William K. Everson screened it at the New School in the early 70's. A great film, muscularly directed, with possibly George Raft's best performance. Bill had a beautiful print of the picture, which gleamed and glowed, yet the visuals had a somewhat rough-hewn texture which perfectly matched the material. Though I love the later version of THE GLASS KEY, the earlier Frank Tuttle directed picture--1935 according to IMDB, which doesn't mean it's correct--is better overall and also more faithful to Hammett's novel.
I didn't see it when Bill screened it, but I agree with your assessment of the earlier version. That's why I'd like to see it again!

Reactions: lark144

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ketoburni