What's new

Pre-Order The Glass Bottom Boat (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
First of all, I’m all in for adding another Doris Day Classic to my Doris Day Collection. Doris has been over her career, everything that is right & beautiful in cinema. And that is true today as well as it was in the prime of her film career.

Now to add my $2 million worth ( in counterfeit $100 bills), one from the Had She Lived files:

Picture if you will Marilyn Monroe in the role of Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate (1967).

Think about it and then tell me if that would have been a stroke of casting genius or if you think I’m full of prunes.

(Of course we all know Anne Bancroft forever owns that role).

I can say for sure there is no way just about any guy I knew about Benjamin's age (in The Graduate) who would have any problem "spending" a few seconds or so with Ms. Monroe or Ms. Welch :P

But back to Miss Kappelhoff, she actually did do a role written for MM when she did the makeover film for the ill-fated Something's Gotta Give ... Move Over Darling

I don't think either Monroe, Welch or Day would have made a good Mrs. Robinson

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I don't think either Monroe, Welch or Day would have made a good Mrs. Robinson

Well, we'll never know, will we? :) When we see an actor in a role they made famous, we can't see anyone else in the role. They own the role like Vivien Leigh owns Scarlett O'Hara and James Dean owns Jim Stark. Yet if Paulette Goddard had played Scarlett and Paul Newman had played Jim, no doubt we would be saying today that they own the role!

One of my favorite Meryl Streep performances is in Doubt but I have a friend who saw Cherry Jones do it on Broadway and he said Jones owned that role and should have done the movie. Not having seen Miss Jones, I think Streep was brilliant. Would I have felt differently if I had seen Cherry Jones on Broadway?

Vera Miles in Vertigo instead of Kim Novak? No way! Richard Dreyfuss in All That Jazz instead of Roy Scheider? I don't think so. Peter Ustinov as Inspector Clouseau in The Pink Panther? You're joking! Michelle Pfeiffer in Silence Of The Lambs, not Jodie Foster? Never! But like Day and Redford and The Graduate, they were all the first choices for those parts before they dropped out or turned them down. I'm sure they would have "owned" those roles too but just played them differently and we'd be none the wiser.

Now, to get back to The Glass Bottom Boat, I thought Doris and Rod Taylor had a nice chemistry together, almost as good as her chemistry with Rock Hudson and James Garner.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Well, we'll never know, will we? :) When we see an actor in a role they made famous, we can't see anyone else in the role. They own the role like Vivien Leigh owns Scarlett O'Hara and James Dean owns Jim Stark. Yet if Paulette Goddard had played Scarlett and Paul Newman had played Jim, no doubt we would be saying today that they own the role!

One of my favorite Meryl Streep performances is in Doubt but I have a friend who saw Cherry Jones do it on Broadway and he said Jones owned that role and should have done the movie. Not having seen Miss Jones, I think Streep was brilliant. Would I have felt differently if I had seen Cherry Jones on Broadway?

Vera Miles in Vertigo instead of Kim Novak? No way! Richard Dreyfuss in All That Jazz instead of Roy Scheider? I don't think so. Peter Ustinov as Inspector Clouseau in The Pink Panther? You're joking! Michelle Pfeiffer in Silence Of The Lambs, not Jodie Foster? Never! But like Day and Redford and The Graduate, they were all the first choices for those parts before they dropped out or turned them down. I'm sure they would have "owned" those roles too but just played them differently and we'd be none the wiser.

Now, to get back to The Glass Bottom Boat, I thought Doris and Rod Taylor had a nice chemistry together, almost as good as her chemistry with Rock Hudson and James Garner.
I can imagine Ustinov doing a great job as Clouseau.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Doris Day never liked to fly and at this stage of life will not fly. If they gave her an honorary Oscar and they wanted her to appear on the show they would have to pretape it or do a remote from Carmel By The Sea.
I think it would have been so unexpected for Doris play Mrs. Robinson especially if the character when first introduced appeared to be like her character in the Rock Hudson films. Then you see who she really is and that line from Benjamin , "Mrs. Robinson Are you trying to seduce me?" The audience and Benjamin would be thinking the same thing. That would have been terrific.

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I watched Love Me or Leave Me last night. Such a great film and such a strong performance by Miss Day.
And "Love Me Or Leave Me" is the one Doris Day film where she is not the sweet innocent. She wants to get ahead in show business and is not shy about using James Cagney to get what she wants. She is aware that he is forcing the clubs that he shakes down with his laundry service to give her work as a singer.

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
And Love Me Or Leave Me is the one Doris Day film where she is not the sweet innocent. She wants to get ahead in show business and is not shy about using James Cagney to get what she wants.
She wasn't sweet and innocent in I'll See You In My Dreams. The point is not over-emphasized but she wears the trousers in her marriage and she has the steel her husband lacks.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
She wasn't sweet and innocent in I'll See You In My Dreams. The point is not over-emphasized but she wears the trousers in her marriage and she has the steel her husband lacks.
Yes but she is not benefiting from a shakedown that she is aware of as in "Love Me Or Leave Me"

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
And "Love Me Or Leave Me" is the one Doris Day film where she is not the sweet innocent. She wants to get ahead in show business and is not shy about using James Cagney to get what she wants. She is aware that he is forcing the clubs that he shakes down with his laundry service to give her work as a singer.

Doris Day has dropped the "sweet and innocent" persona on several occasions. In The Pajama Game, for example, she's a tough union negotiator who will even sacrifice her personal relationship for what she believes in. No, she's not taking advantage of a corrupt situation as in Love Me Or Leave Me but she's not sweet and innocent. I'd also add her Calamity Jane. She's tough as nails in that one and engages in several questionable acts. Hardly sweet and innocent (naive perhaps). And then, of course, there's her slightly neurotic wife who gave up her famous singing career to please her husband (it's clear she begrudges him for that) in The Man Who Knew Too Much.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I had never thought of her, but you are SO right; she would have been perfect for the role.
Think of Howard Keel as Ben and Gene Nelson recreating his Broadway role as Buddy. Two of her 1950's co stars. Ah what might have been.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
A very dramatic role for Doris was about the KKK.
Storm-Warning-Ad.jpg

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Personally, I'm glad to see WAC announcing something for blu this year that I want! I'll admit, I would prefer one of her earlier film musicals, but I'll certainly get this one to help support the idea (especially since their releases of Doris's movies are coming so slowly on blu)!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks