What's new

The Giving Tree (1 Viewer)

john davies

Stunt Coordinator
I just read this little book this morning. The simplest tale- considered by some, i understand, too sad for children, too simple for adults. To my mind it's profound, huge in its scope, moving and simply...perfect.

john davies

Stunt Coordinator
No wonder you have good taste, coming from Toronto- where a certain Welsh couple were made very welcome. Friendly people, the Canadians. And good shopping, yummy muffins...

Chris Dias

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Yeah I also loved this book when I was a kid. A couple of years ago I bought it for a friend of mine and she thought it was great, even as a grown up.

john davies

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's especially good for grown ups (if they've grown up enough). It quietly suggests the important things in life and a whole range of major themes; parenting, childhood, time, memory, aging, identity, impending death, joy, sadness, separation, loss, consolation, nature's gifts, environmental damage, self-sacrifice, selfishness, materialism, fantasy and, above all, love. All in barely 600 words and a couple of dozen very simple illustrations. Eat your hearts out, Proust, Tolstoy, Cervantes, Joyce, Homer, Rabelais, Dostoevsky, Dickens....!

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Stop it John, you're making me blush....

I discovered this book when I was about 7 or 8 I would guess. Always will be a favorite of mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks