The Giving Tree

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by john davies, Nov 27, 2003.

1. john davies

john davies Stunt Coordinator

I just read this little book this morning. The simplest tale- considered by some, i understand, too sad for children, too simple for adults. To my mind it's profound, huge in its scope, moving and simply...perfect.

2. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

I have always loved this title. I was suprised when I learned my wife had never heard of it.

3. john davies

No wonder you have good taste, coming from Toronto- where a certain Welsh couple were made very welcome. Friendly people, the Canadians. And good shopping, yummy muffins...

4. Chris Dias

Chris Dias Stunt Coordinator

Chris
    Yeah I also loved this book when I was a kid. A couple of years ago I bought it for a friend of mine and she thought it was great, even as a grown up.

5. john davies

I think it's especially good for grown ups (if they've grown up enough). It quietly suggests the important things in life and a whole range of major themes; parenting, childhood, time, memory, aging, identity, impending death, joy, sadness, separation, loss, consolation, nature's gifts, environmental damage, self-sacrifice, selfishness, materialism, fantasy and, above all, love. All in barely 600 words and a couple of dozen very simple illustrations. Eat your hearts out, Proust, Tolstoy, Cervantes, Joyce, Homer, Rabelais, Dostoevsky, Dickens....!

6. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

Stop it John, you're making me blush....

I discovered this book when I was about 7 or 8 I would guess. Always will be a favorite of mine.