What's new

The Girl Can't Help It (1 Viewer)

BrianRi

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone seen this who can comment on the print quality? I'm surprised this hasn't gotten a wider release or doesn't have any reviews available through DVD BASEN.

Yeah, come on guys, anybody able to give us the details on the aspect ratio and sound mix too.

This is an expensive buy and I don't want to spend £18 for a bad transfer of this excellent film.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
It's quite a nice transfer with the lurid colors it should have. It is, of course, in its proper scope ratio, but sadly not enhanced for widescreen TVs. I watched it on my bedroom LCD widescreen TV, therefore can't remember whether it was stereo or not. There is also a hilarious twenty plus minute short with John Waters commenting on the film.

Oliver_Groth

Agent
According to Amazon Germany there will be a German release of The Girl Can't Help It on March 10th that will be anamorphic.:emoji_thumbsup:

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
I have THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT, yeah, it's in stereo, we had a party and watched it a few weeks ago and loved every second of it. A real blast. It's unfortunate that it's non-anamorphic, and it would've been nice to have a trailer. Other than that, one of my fave movies of the era on a very worthwhile disc. And I agree, the Roger Waters short (he shows films from his own films, scenes inspired by GIRL) is a treat.

RichardCy

Auditioning
I remember reading an article in an audio/video magazine in the early 90s about missing stereo soundtracks for Fox 50s and 60s films. Someone from Fox Video was being interviewed, and he was saying how they were having a hard time locating the stereo tracks for TGCHI (and a few other titles), and that they were not planning on releasing this movie letterboxed on LaserDisc until they did find the stereo tracks... Looks like if Fox releases it on DVD in Region 1, it will be in mono and in awful fake-stereo (why do they even bother??).

Another lost stereo picture from Fox. Although a film collector somewhere probably has a 4-track print, and is letting it rot in a cellar/closet/attic! : (

BrianRi

Stunt Coordinator
I saw TGCHI for sale at a specialty store near my house for $29. I think I'll wait until March 10 to see if the German release gets any reviews. If no reviews or if they're bad, I'll probably pick-up the $29 copy.

Oliver_Groth

Agent
Picked up the German release yesterday. It's a beautiful anamorphic print with 2.0 mono sound (whatever that means).

Absolutely recommended.

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

BrianRi

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the feedback. How would I go about purchasing the German release from the U.S.?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks