"The Girl Can't Help It" - 20th Fox... when????

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, May 20, 2004.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Still waiting on this title to hit DVD. Any word from Fox on it?

2. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER would be great too with Jayne M and the late great Tony Randall.
    Fox release them both!

3. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

Yes, GREAT IDEAS for STUDIO CLASSICS, BACK TO BACK,
    JAYNES, BEST FILMS !!!!!!!
    COME ON FOX, WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR ???????????
    CHRISTMAS/HANUKKAH ???????

4. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    Just posted another thread thinking that "The Jayne Mansfield Story" starring Loni Anderson & Arnold Schwarzenegger would make a great addition to the two above movies. The last VHS versions were distributed by CBS which is now part of Fox - right?

5. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Would love both The Girl Can't Help it and Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter on DVD.

I hope Fox is listening.

6. Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano Second Unit

You can put me down for THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT and WILL SUCCESS SPOIL ROCK HUNTER? as well.

7. Chris*W

Chris*W Stunt Coordinator

I agree; these are great films that deserve proper "Studio Classics" treatment.

8. AlanP

AlanP Supporting Actor

FOX HAS Marilyn's "DIAMOND COLLECTION"
    how about JAYNE'S "RUBY COLLECTION" ??
    COME ON FOX !!!!!!

9. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

I want these two (especially Rock Hunter, one of the greatest movie comedies ever made IMO) and also the two other films Frank Tashlin made for Fox, The Lieutenant Wore Skirts (with Ewell and Sherree North) and Bachelor Flat (with Terry-Thomas and Tuesday Weld). Tashlin's Fox work is generally his best because, as he told it, Buddy Adler at Fox let him make movies without compromising his satirical, cartoonish style. Tashlin said Rock Hunter was the only picture he ever made that came out exactly the way he wanted it with no studio interference.

There should be much more Frank Tashlin on DVD; I want his Martin-and-Lewis movies (Artists and Models, Hollywood or Bust), some though not all of his movies with Jerry Lewis solo (I guess some of these will be turning up in the batch of Lewis films that thedigitalbits said is on the way), and the brilliant cartoons he directed for Warner Bros. He was one of a kind.

10. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Yeah bring on that Girl!

And what about Gidget?

Just received an Animals 2 CD collection, which I ordered mostly cause it had their version of "The Girl Can't help It".

Have never been able to track down a Bobby Troup version of the song tho [​IMG]

11. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    Hey... I always thought that Little Richard (aka Richard Wayne Penniman) was the author. Guess I was wrong as I see Robert Welsey "Bobby" Troup, Jr. (1918-1999), husband of Julie London, wrote the score for the movie. He never recorded it himself though others did besides Little Richard and The Animals. His wife's signature song "Cry Me A River" he also wrote was featured in the movie with a cameo by her in a dream scene.

Hold ups on musical movies like this one are usually because of IP (intellectual property laws) due to a number of factors:

* Could be that the current copyright owners don't want to settle for a certain amount to release it in a movie cutting the music CD sales.

* Could be that not everyone involved can be located for clearance.

* Could be for personal reasons... who knows.

* Could be that the rights for the music in the movie or the movie itself was not cleared for further or "different" forms of transfers (being short-sighted as movies back then were shelved after x number of showings and then forgotten about). They may had gotten rights for VHS but didn't know about the future of DVD [​IMG]

* May be a problem with the visual rights (photographic/movie images) or audio rights of one of the actor's estates.

A lot goes on behind the scene that the average viewer of a movie is unaware of. Tons of paperwork and red tape involved OTHER than simply getting a decent transfer of the film.

Eric S. Huffstutler
    Richmond, VA

12. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler
    A "RUBY COLLECTION" would be nice but one problem - not enough movies to create one. Jayne was with Columbia then Warner prior to making The Girl Can't Help It for Fox. It was also her first starring role.

Others she did with Fox:

The Wayward Bus 1957 - never on video
    Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? 1957
    Kiss Them For Me 1957 - a Cary Grant movie already out on DVD
    The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw 1958 - never on video

In other words, she only made 2 starring (semi-starring) roll movies in 1957, both with Fox then a couple minor roll ones. After that she was pretty much washed up and resorted to what back then were foreign X rated movies (topless). Jayne was supposed to be the next Marilyn Monroe but never pulled it off so used her marketing skills instead (was a very intelligent woman). She had a cartoonish figure that included a flat butt which camera angles hid. Marilyn had a more perfect and proportionate figure.

This is why I said The Jayne Mansfield Story would be a nice addition or filler for a short box set if they were to do one on Jayne. I would like to see at least the two famous movies and the "Story" movie packaged together.

How about it FOX?

Eric

13. Chris*W

Chris*W Stunt Coordinator

I couldn't agree more; most of his films are the some of the funniest from their era.