The Gift - Definitely Worth a Rental!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lou Sytsma, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Finally got around to seeing this last night. In a word - WOW!
    A murder mystery/suspense movie with touches of the supernatural deftly directed by Sam Raimi.
    Cate Blanchett gives an excellent performance as a widowed mother of 3 young boys who scratches out a living by doing psychic readings for the townfolk. Set in the southern states with a New Orleans type environment giving the movie an appropriately spooky feel.
    The entire cast from Greg Kinnear, Giovanni Ribisi, Katie Holmes, Hilary Swank, Gary Cole, and even Keannu Reeves are solid as well.
    The depictions of Cate's character - Annie Wilson's 'Gift' are done through the use of dream sequences or through the deft use of camera tricks. This is a nice change from CGI and keeps one in the mood of the movie.
    The soundstage of the movie is used to reinforce the environment in which the story takes place. Surrounds are used to fill the background with the chirping of crickets, the crash of thunder etc. A superb mix!
    If you haven't seen this movie yet I urge you do so. The luke warm reception this received is a puzzle.
    It deserves a better fate.
    ------------------
    Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.
    MyHTSetup

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I have to agree that this one was underrated. Coming from Sam Raimi, you would think it would've recieved a more rounded reception. And the mix was tremendous. Very convincing, it places you smack dab in the middle of the film. For me, I thought Keanu Reeves stole the film in playing an annoying, abusive redneck. First rate film.
    The Gift [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

3. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

I found it to be a dull, predictable film, but a couple of scenes with Katie Holmes made up for it... [​IMG]
    I certainly expected better from Sam Raimi.
    In any case, I thought it was 100x better than the dreck of What Lies Beneath.

4. Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi Producer

Well, I don’t agree, I think “What Lies Beneath” is better than this but it’s only my opinion. I got into the movie (WLB) in a way that it never happened for me watching the Gift. But of course, I rented the Gift for the famous Katie Holmes scene! [​IMG] Anyway it’s a good movie, the only drawback for me was the accent. It somehow was unnatural for me and at the every single moment of the movie, it reminded me that we are watching actors playing.
    PS – Shouldn’t this be at the movies section?

5. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

I enjoyed The Gift and What Lies Beneath very much
    I found The Gift to be very suspensful and had a few " Tingle On The Back Of My Neck " moments
    I would say both are worth at least a rental if not definately a purchase
    Regards,
    Ricky
    P.S : I guessed who did it in The Gift

6. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

7. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

I agree and that's why it's in my library. Can say enough about how well the sound is mixed in this one.
    ------------------
    -Dwayne

8. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

I've yet to see 'What Lies Beneath' but 'The Gift' was a pulp horror/suspense movie handled masterfully by Raimi. Coupled with the magnificent A Simple Plan, it's proof that he's one of the most assured directors working in America right now.
    (Yes, I'm aware of 'For Love of the Game' [​IMG])

9. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor