The GHost and the Darkness is the best sound DVD!!!

Ben Rogers

Stunt Coordinator
This DVD is the best sound track that I ever heard even against DTS . The video is also unbelievable. Thumbs up to Paramount as usual. Try this DVD out, guys

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Is there a new version that I don't know about? I agree on the audio, although I've heard better, but with the lack of 16x9 enhancement, the video could be much improved.

Jeff

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I also think the video is a little lacking in some scenes. I have the Standard Paramount issue, you know the Bare Bones DVD with nothing but a trailer...

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Ben,
There has only been (1) release of The Ghost and the Darkness. It is indeed Widescreen, but it is NOT enhanced for widescreen televisions.
As for the audio...how would you say it stacks up to The Others? I thought The Others had phenomenal audio and would LOVE to hear a disc that could use the surrounds that well again.
Bruce

Ben Rogers

Stunt Coordinator
Sony direct view 34 inch KD-34XBR2
Marantz SR-18
Sony S900 ES DVD player
speakers Sonus Faber Grand Piano

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree it was good, but there are plenty that I feel are better soundwise:

The standards: Terminator2:UE (ES), Titan AE (DTS), Toy Story 2 (EX), From Hell (DTS), TPM (EX), Fight Club:SE (DD), Gladiator:CE (ES), The Haunting (DTS), U-571 (DTS), JP3 (DTS).

Some others that are often overlooked or underrated: Abyss:SE (DD), Se7en:SE (ES), Blade (DD), Contact (DD), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (DTS), Final Fantasy (DD), Iron Giant (DD)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
It is not at the correct 2.35:1 to 2.39:1 aspect ratio. They cropped the sides somewhat closer to a 70mm aspect ratio.

The DP wasn't the same guy who photographed Apocalypse Now and Tucker I hope. Vittorio something or other. He has a "thing" for 2.0:1 ratios for video.

Dan

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
The DP wasn't the same guy who photographed Apocalypse Now and Tucker I hope. Vittorio something or other. He has a "thing" for 2.0:1 ratios for video.
No, the DP was Vilmos Zsigmond, whose impressive credits include Heaven's Gate, The Deer Hunter, The Last Waltz and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I've read a few reviews that implied the filmmakers, including director Stephen Hopkins, were behind the reworked image but have found no corroborating evidence or reasoning.

JaleelK

Second Unit
There has only been (1) release of The Ghost and the Darkness. It is indeed Widescreen, but it is NOT enhanced for widescreen televisions.
As for the audio...how would you say it stacks up to The Others? I thought The Others had phenomenal audio and would LOVE to hear a disc that could use the surrounds that well again.
Although the Other was a good movie, Ghost In the Darkness was better in the audio department. If you want great sound and picture quality, try The Patriot "superbit", its awesome picture and dts sound.

Marc Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
This is one of my favorite movies. However the Paramount DVD video is pretty poor (non-anamorphic and improperly flagged with alternating progressive/interlaced flags). Straw and grass fields really tax poor MPEG compression. Most DVDs look good on direct view sets, you start to see the differences on the big screens.

The audio is pretty good, but not better than the best DD or DTS tracks. This title definitely deserves revistation

Brett Jason

Stunt Coordinator
Didn't it win the Oscar for Best Sound? Not that that means the DVD has the best sound. OK, now I'm rambling

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
No, the DP was Vilmos Zsigmond, whose impressive credits include Heaven's Gate, The Deer Hunter, The Last Waltz and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I've read a few reviews that implied the filmmakers, including director Stephen Hopkins, were behind the reworked image but have found no corroborating evidence or reasoning.
At least 2 of Zsigmond's other anamorphically-shot films, Life as a House and Playing By Heart, have been presented on DVD in ARs different than their theatrical exhibition (2.1:1 for the former and 2.2:1 for the latter (according to IMDB)). And in the case of Life as a House, at least, it was stated that the modified AR was intentional. This provides strong circumstantial evidence, I'd think, that Zsigmond intended the 2.1:1 AR on Ghost on Darkness.
DJ

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dav