What's new

Pre-Order The Ghost and the Darkness (1996) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81tQLSPlONL._SX522_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Interesting that Shout! Factory and not Paramount is releasing this title onto Blu-ray.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yes, me too. Paramount has never seemed interested in this film, for whatever reason. Not sure why as it's an enjoyable film, IMO, with a good cast. They've released it a couple times on DVD with a refreshed/redesigned cover, but never on blu-ray.

That said, I re-watched my DVD a while back and it actually looked and sounded pretty good. Will have to wait for the reviews to see if it's an improvement worth Shout! prices, or has lots of extras.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I've always loved this film, so I'll be picking up the Shout! release for sure. Hopefully, they've done a new image harvest and aren't simply recycling the old DVD master, but I'll take what I can get. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've always loved this film, so I'll be picking up the Shout! release for sure. Hopefully, they've done a new image harvest and aren't simply recycling the old DVD master, but I'll take what I can get. :)
I haven't seen the DVD since the days of Blockbuster so I could be wrong but isn't the DVD from over 20 years ago and probably SD so they must be using a new transfer. It's probably the HD transfer that's been on cable channels for the last few years.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
That said, I re-watched my DVD a while back and it actually looked and sounded pretty good. Will have to wait for the reviews to see if it's an improvement worth Shout! prices, or has lots of extras.
Interesting comment. It seems that Shout! prices are all over the place, depending on the line and content. For example, Shout!/Scream's collector's editions tend to be the higher tier, while Shout! Selects vary depending on content. Matinee, for example, was rather inexpensive [$20 range] while The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai was closer to the $30-35 range. When it's just a mainline Shout! title, I usually see these in the $25 range. All $ amounts are Canadian.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I haven't seen the DVD since the days of Blockbuster so I could be wrong but isn't the DVD from over 20 years ago and probably SD so they must be using a new transfer. It's probably the HD transfer that's been on cable channels for the last few years.
The currently available streaming version is in HD, so I'm wondering where that source came from.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The currently available streaming version is in HD, so I'm wondering where that source came from.

Most DVDs were sourced from HD masters that were state of the art at the time. The streaming version is probably from the same source used to create the DVD.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
Excellent news. TGATD is an amazing action film & a nice period piece. IIRC, the print on the old DVD has a non-Anamorphic print. So a Blu (with the correct Aspect ratio) is long overdue.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
That’s a weird aspect ratio in any event. Somewhere in the no man’s land between 2:1 and 70mm’s 2.2:1.

YANG

Screenwriter
Interesting that Shout! Factory and not Paramount is releasing this title onto Blu-ray.
well... with too much catalog titles on hand to release in a new video format, there will be frequent occasions that Studios will have to sublet some old titles to other boutique publishers for remastering and releasing...

I'm looking forward for some Paramount titles be released through quality publishers like... Turbine Germany.

YANG

Screenwriter
IMO, since we're now in the 4th generation of optical media, the respective Studios film library also had grown to a stage that we cant really expect Studios to handle them all... so, if there's a hand stretch out from boutique Studios, the biggies shouldn't reject.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks