What's new

The Getaway (1 Viewer)

Brad Grenz

Second Unit
Not sure that this belongs in the E3 thread as it doesn't sound like this story is based on something that happened at the Expo.
The Getaway impressions and screens
Anyone else remember seeing the pics of this game a long time ago? No body beleived it could actually look that good. Turns out it's a pretty beautiful game. Sony seems to have cornered the market on car jacking simulators. Actually, this game looks better to me than GTA3 did. Give me moody British gangsters and the tight streets of London over garrish Portland and its Godfather rejects any day.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Thanks a lot guys. This game looks too cool. Max Payne meets GTA3.

I wish some developers would create something like this for my Box. Looks like a PS2 will be on the horizon for me. Somehow...

JoshF

Supporting Actor
This game still looks fantastic. They're doing some amazing stuff with the texture and video streaming capabilities of the PS2. Should be great.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
WOW. This game looks INCREDIBLE. If I didn't know it was a PS2 game, I would think it was an XBox or Gamecube game judging by the graphics. The PS2 may be the oldest of the bunch, but it looks like Sony still has some tricks up their sleeves.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Dave: The PS2 is quite capable despite its "age". When you think about it, the Xbox's Pentium/Celeron and Nvidia processors are older than the EE. I think we'll all be pleasantly surprised over its lifetime. Remember how good the later PSX games looked compared to the earlier ones? That's how Sony designs their hardware. The mystery of it all means that things continually look better.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
The Getaway is really the only game that interests me for the PS2. If it weren't for it, i'd be dead set on getting an Xbox when i get the $.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Josh,
You're absolutely right. I remember when Gran Turismo first came out. I went to the mall right after school(I think I was a Junior in high school at the time) and picked it up. I couldn't believe the graphics. They were great as were the physics. Same seems to be holding true with the PS2. Even some of the current PS2 titles look incredible to me(Ace Combat 4 and Gran Turismo 3). Can't wait to see the Getaway and other upcoming titles. I'm definitely glad I bought a PS2 back in November. I've enjoyed it since then and looks like some more great games in the future. Although,a cube is looking mighty tempting these days with the low pricetag ;)

James_G

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely looks like a lot of fun…kind of like a cross between Snatch, Grand Theft Auto, and Max Payne...which is a very, very good thing. :D I also read a little snippet somewhere that said the game is supposedly going to be up to 60 FPS when it's released, which would be great! That was one of the problems I had with GTAIII. The frame rate was pretty choppy a lot of the time.
I have to admit, I'm getting a little unnerved that the console I bought just under a year ago is already being graphically steamrolled by the Xbox, but there are still some great looking games coming out. Hopefully they can get some more power out of the old machine over the next couple of years. I'll definitely be picking up an Xbox for the multiplatform stuff though (and Blinx!).

JoshF

Supporting Actor
James: Blinx looks to be a fantastic game with some really cool innovations. I was on the phone this morning with a friend who's out at E3 and he was *still* gushing about how cool a particular boss battle in Blinx was in which he had to fight five baddies, one after another using the ff/rew VCR controls, and then seeing all his previous moves represented by his "ghosts" as he finished the fifth guy.

Should be fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks