the getaway

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan Porteous, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Nathan Porteous

Nathan Porteous Stunt Coordinator

Is it just me or is the getaway a awful game? Mags give it such good reviews why? they say the control is good, its terrible have the time you cant see what is happing because of the crappy camera and your dude is sluggish and runs like a wuss. it has some good gun fights but what i really hate the most is the driving, its terrible but mabey its just me and my friends. I looked so forward to this game for months and now that its here, i'm the saddest person in canada. One thing good is the story and the voice acting they were excellent, should have spent more time on the gameplay. now all i have to look forward to is "true crime" hope it dosn't suck as well

2. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

I rented The Getaway just the other day. I wasn't too keen on it at first, but it grew on me. The story and acting was good enough to keep me interested. I found the driving to be good and liked how the cars became damaged and tougher to control. Quite an achievement to make it possible for players to drive all over London. The main problem with this game is the camera. It is often difficult to see what you want to see. I found that after I had played for awhile I managed to become comfortable enough with it.

For some reason the second half of the game, played as Carter, was much more enjoyable for me than the first bit as Hammond. It seemed easier as well, but this could've been due to the fact that I'd become comfortable with the camera and controls.

I had no expectations when I started playing The Getaway, and I was pleasantly surprised. That being said, I'm glad I rented this game rather than buying it, because I don't think there's enough fun to be had in the free roaming mode to keep me interested. The story was good, and I was interested in seeing the end, but now that I have, I don't think I'd continue to play it. It's certainly not GTA.

I'll be interested to see a sequel if one gets made, because these guys put some really cool elements in the game. The lack of icons or any sort of HUD, being able to tool around London, good acting and a decent story, not pulling any punches when it comes to profanity and gore are all good things, in my opinion.

3. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

I didn't like this game either at first but when I found you could lean against a wall and replenish your health I had a more enjoyable time with it even though it is kind of cheesy. The instructions make no mention of this as they forgot to include it.

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I really enjoyed it, up to the police station where I got stuck. It was a rental, but I'll probably buy it one of these days.

There were two knocks against it, IMO. First, you get wounded so easily that you spend a _lot_ of time leaning against the way. Second, the targeting is just plain wonky. Fantastic graphics though - it wouldn't look out of place on the Xbox.

-Dave