The Getaway...almost here and looking good

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by paul h, Nov 4, 2002.

1. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Computerandvideogames have posted some initial impressions of The Getaway and it's sounds good so far...

"17:15 Shut it, alright? The Getaway is almost upon us, and we finally got to give the London crime title a full going over today. First impressions are all good. Hardcore violent adult action is the future of gaming.
    The 18 certificate slapped on the title is well deserved, as becomes immediately apparent when you fire the title up. The use of language is strong, and the opening sequence of main character Mark Hammond's wife being brutally murdered on a London street and his child being kidnapped by four gangsters is hardly material for your two year-old kid

Cut-scene quality is exceptional in terms of visuals, and the game does a decent job of getting over that London underground feel from the off. Nasty but cool.

Play itself is instantly fun, although the controls take a little getting used to. Understandably, you're not exactly thrilled that criminal scum just shot your wife, so you set off to shoot some bad guys. Within minutes you're driving a car through a brilliantly reconstructed central London, tooled up and ready for action.

Cars are entered and left using a simple press of the circle button. Once out of the car it's triangle to pull your piece, then R1 to aim at a baddie and square to fire. You pick up dead enemy's weapons simply by walking over them and cycle through your armoury with the X button. The shotgun is particularly satisfying.

Get shot and Hammond instantly sports a bloody patch on his suit and starts to limp. There's no energy bar. This is the first of immediately noticeable efforts to up the ante in terms of gameplay. Another is the way the car you're driving indicates to show you where to go in missions, rather than an arrow floating above the car. Innovation in modern gaming? Heaven forfend.

Realism and interactivity are, on first impressions, everything that Sony promised. We can tell you right now that the accuracy of the lay-out of central London is nothing short of astonishing. Really, honestly and truly, it's genuinely amazing.

Added to the impressive reconstruction of the British capital are the fact that you can steal any vehicle you see by simply walking up to a car's door, pressing a button and watching Hammond hold up his pistol and shout, "Get out of the car!" You can even get into the world famous London buses and drive around in a first-person view. Very cool.

We'll go into far deeper detail on The Getaway soon, but from every indication we've had today we'll be hammering the game very soon indeed. Now take a look at the screens before we rumble your manor, you slag."

2. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I heard this has been delayed for a while...

3. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Last I heard it is getting released in mid January.

4. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Lets see if it ends up being anything more than GTA Junior.

5. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

GTA Junior? I'm hoping this is much better then GTA! From the screens the graphics certainly look better, heres just hoping the gameplay is good.

6. Brad Grenz

Brad Grenz Second Unit

Yeah, one to watch. Sony Europe seems to believe in it, there's already an expansion and a sequel in development. A high vote of confidence for an unreleased game.

7. Romier S

Romier S Producer

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

9. Romier S

Romier S Producer

10. BrianB

BrianB Producer

11. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Well, I have the OPS2M demo, and I have to say its horrible. The first half, driving through "London" is pretty good, though the city looks overcast in a really boring washed out grey way, and the NPC cars all drive very robotically. I've stuck "London" in quotes because most of the little back streets are missing - no driving up to CEx in Rathbone Place for you, its strictly a visit to Electronics Boutique (product placement? Never.) Still, this doesn't really harm the game too much.

Its when you get out on foot that it all falls apart. The controls are horrible, the animation stilted and the camera makes GTA3, Max Payne etc feel like manna from heaven. One problem that both parts suffer from is that the game is desperately trying to do things differently from GTA3. This is fine in some areas (the more realistic car handling, for example) but the complete lack of intentional comedy to lighten the atmosphere, and more criminally the willful placement of the buttons in horrible places just because GTA3 picked the right ones is horrible.

Cut-scenes (at least in the demo) are unskippable, and include more swearing than your average Kevin Smith film. Its not suitable for kids, and adults probably have enough experience to recognise a painfully uncontrollable game when they play it. Still, charging down the road toward the BFI IMAX is fun for five minutes.

12. Dave Bennett

Hmm, I'll definitely have to see how this one scores before I consider it. I was really looking forward to it but now I'm starting to wonder.

13. BrianB

BrianB Producer

You know, instead of waiting for a score, why not wait & rent it instead, Dave? That way /you/ can be the judge.

14. Dave Bennett

Well Brian, for one thing if a game comes out while I'm at school, there's really no place close to me that rents video games. For that matter, even if there was I'm so busy during the semester I never have the time to rent games. However, since it'll come out over my semester break when I'll be at home, I should be able to give it a rent. As far as reading reviews, I find them to be pretty helpful. Usually I think they're a little too rough on some games but I find it to be a good litmus test for how good a game is.

15. Steve Deacon

Steve Deacon Stunt Coordinator

I've also tried the demo, and I have to say I thought it was pretty awful. I'm no fan of this type of game, as I hated GTA3, but I was interested to see what they'd done after all this time.

Horrible cut scenes, poorly modelled and animated, and the dialogue is just laughable. They may have no intentional comedy in there, but there's plenty of the unintentional kind. This idea of going for a mature audience is all very laudable, as us gamers are all getting older, but this is not what I expect. You only have to imagine the same scene in another form, ie TV or cinema, to see that this would be regarded as badly written dross.

Technically it doesn't impress, either on the road or on foot, and I simply can't see how it got such a glowing review in OPS2 magazine...except of course this is a Sony published title by one of their own teams. Entirely unrelated facts, I'm sure.

16. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Dave, in this situation even more than usual, I strongly recommend finding a way to give the game a quick test yourself. Some reviewers are going to fawn over it for the size of what they are attempting, and others may genuinely like the stronger than usual plot, but if you stuggle with the control system as much as I did then you'll hate it.

This is one of those cases where the game could be really good if you can get past the failings. I couldn't (not by a long shot), but I'm sure some will.

17. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Definitely, Iain, that's what I've been hearing from other folk too in the UK - "try before you buy". It's going to get some really good reviews, and I /know/ it's going to get some really BAD reviews too.

18. Dave Bennett

Well as I said if it still is released on the 15th of Janurary then I should be able to rent it as I'll be at home until the 20th. Luckily the BBV near my has a good track record for getting in new releases.

19. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

So I bought this title sight unseen because the scope and some of the screenshots seemed good, and now I regret not spending my money on another game...
    Personally I thought the graphics was nice too look at, but there is something about it that makes it too sedate sometimes. Granted, I'm only on the second level and things could change, Then again, I AM on the second level and tired of it already...
    The driving levels were kinda slow. Also it was frustrating to get used to driving on the left side, and I'm a slow learner, after each turn I automatically ended up on the right side, on other words the wrong side [​IMG]
    But the shooting parts were the ones to really drive me up the wall. It has kind of a slow pace to it, which is ok by me, I am the kind of shooter who likes to hide in the shadows and shoot people in the back anyway, but in this game, the camera angles made it a bit hard to do that. Of course you can sneak up against the wall and then peek around corners, and even shoot around corners, which is a really neat idea, but I haven't really figured out the controls yet, so either one of two things happens on the first time out. I walk past a corner regularly and doesn't notice the guy until he opens fire, or I try to sneak up, but while I fiddle with the controls I get shot anyway.
    Then it ends up with me doing it over again, and knowing where the guy is the second time around I can take them out. As such it basically continues, corner to corner, until the level finishes.
    The controls are the major problem for me, but then again I can be really hopeless with controls, which is also why I play so few games, if I try to many at once I won't remember any of them [​IMG]
    I'm gonna restart tonight though, I'm pretty sure there is fun to be had here, once I get the controls into my fingers...