What's new

The Gap Commercials: Who are the singers? (1 Viewer)

KrisM

Second Unit
I think the Gap ad with the girl playing an AC/DC song(Back In Black) is the end of the world as we know it.

KrisM

Shawn C

Screenwriter
What about the one with Will Ferrell singing as Neil Diamond, "Forever in Blue Jeans".
Link Removed

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Whoops on the Reed thing :b

But yes I do remember those Honda commercials. Wow, that seems like forever.

And at least Lou and Robbie aren't that far off.

I'll tell you what, I'm also loving that kick-ass DAFT PUNK/Juliette Lewis spot, although I've yet to see it on TV. That Lewis sure is hot (looks good in those jeans for sure) and I love the new Daft Punk album also.

I also LOVE the Ferrell Neil Diamond spot. I think Ferrell is hilarious and I'm a big Diamond fan so it's perfect for me.

Really, I think the Gap spots have been so cool and clever over the last year or 2 that it's not totally selling out to do the spot. I mean doing something artful for commercial gain is not much different that music albums or films. If they were doing BAD spots just for the money, that's selling out.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Stupid question maybe, but what the heck does all this have to do with selling clothes?
It's got people talking about The Gap, doesn't it? :)
The Juliette Lewis/Daft Punk ad has a permanent, hallowed home on my hard drive. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I just wanted to say that I got 7 of the 8 artists from the guy and gal commercials without looking them up. Thank you, thank you. Don't forget to tip your waitresses.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget Lou's shilling for American Express back in the day as well (I think this was around the time "Misfire" came out around 1986).

The best Gap commercial was the Christmas one from a few years ago that used Low's slow, fuzzed-out version of "The Little Drummer Boy." Nice to see Liz Phair around, even though her last record ("Whitechocolatespacegg") was awful. As soon as she got married and had a kid, her saucy lyrics soon went the way of the dinosaurs.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
The Gap had a great Christmas commerical a few years back with the sadly-defunct Luscious Jackson performing "Let it Snow".

*Sigh* I think age is truely measured by how many of your favorite bands have broken up or are dead.

-Dave

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
How true, Dave, how true. Bummed about Luscious Jackson, though their last one didn't hold a candle to "Fever In Fever Out." Bought the Dusty Trails record (Vivian Trimble solo record) and was bored stiff by it.

Damo

Auditioning
I saw a "Give A Little Bit" GAP ad in the UK.
It opened with SEAL singing with acoustic guitar...then ALANIS MORISSETTE...somewhere later LOU REED...I forget the rest! I only saw it once!
Happy Christmas One & All :)
Damo

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
Just a quick update on one of the more recent commercials...

"Love is All Around You" by the Troggs. I think Elvis might have written it or something too.

This was revived in the 90s by Wet Wet Wet in "Sliver" I think.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
"Love is All Around You" by the Troggs. I think Elvis might have written it or something too.
I think that's one of the ones used in the Cameron Crowe ads. One commercial with two different songs used.

I'm not an Elvis expert, but I don't think he ever wrote a song in his life. Even when he received half of the writing credit, that was due to the Colonel's insistence that the writer allow Elvis half the credit, otherwise he could forget about Elvis singing the song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks