What's new

The Gap Commercials: Who are the singers? (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Anyone with a television has likely found it impossible to avoid the new Gap commercials with various singers singing "Give a Little Bit" by Supertramp (I think.) I think there's two separate ones...one with females and the other with males. Anyone know who all the singers in the spots are?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
By memory I can immediately say that Lou Reed is one of the guys.

I need to see the spot again for some of the others.

Oh, and you have ID'd the song correctly. It's from the "Even In the Quietest Moments" album with the piano in the snow on the cover.

It's too bad Roger Hodgson had to go his own way from the band. I saw them on the Famous Last Words tour and they were awesome, especially "Give a Little Bit".

James_S

Second Unit
One of them starts out with Sheryl Crow, I do know that.

Haven't seen the all male one yet.

James

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
The one that starts out with Sheryl Crow is followed by India Arie, Lisa "Left eye" Lopes from the group TLC I think the last one is just an non musician actor. Although I could be wrong.

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Amazing what you can find out at http://www.gap.com
The women-only one is Sheryl Crow, India.Arie, Lefteye Lopes, and Liz Phair.
The men-only one is Dwight Yoakam, Robbie Robertson, John Rzeznik, and Shaggy.
These are the only two I've personally seen on TV, but apparently there are several more (a men-women combo), plus individual commercials featuring just one performer...

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I guess it's easier to ask if there are people out there knowledgable about music than to sift around the Gap website to see what's buried on it.

Chris Derby

Second Unit
Well, I was curious how hard it would be to find the info on gap.com without cheating (using their search engine). It was easy:

gap.com -> site map (bottom rh corner)-> our company gapinc.com -> financials & media -> press releases and media statements -> its the one from 11/9

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
It was even easier than that for me. I went to gap.com clicked on "Men", and then on the link in the picture of Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane.

Gap has always been real good about having their current ads on the site, and listing who's in them and what they're wearing. That's how I got my copy of that wonderful Denim commercial with Juliette Lewis. Yum.

Mark Lee

Second Unit
Liz Phair certainly looks fine (I thought so as soon as I picked up Exile in Guyville....
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
), but the fact that she's now shilling for The Gap shows she's a loooong way from those days now.
(Now if the ad had used "Fuck and Run," now that would've been interesting....)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Mark Lee,

I agree....what happened to Liz???? I still love her music, but with having done an Apple commercial and now a Gap one....is she still a musician?

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Gap Launches "Give Your Gift" Holiday Marketing Campaign

SAN FRANCISCO--November 9, 2001--Gap today announces the launch of its global Holiday marketing campaign, encouraging customers to "Give Your Gift." Television spots debut in the U.S. on November 18, and feature an array of musical artists, including Alanis Morissette, Sheryl Crow, Shaggy, and Dwight Yoakam, each performing their own inspirational interpretation of the Supertramp song, "Give A Little Bit."

From Morisette's pure, emphatic style, to the boisterous reggae beats of Shaggy, the personal style of each artist shines through as they perform in the ensemble and solo commercials. An all female ensemble spot features Sheryl Crow, India.Arie, Lisa Lopes and Liz Phair, while an all male grouping highlights Dwight Yoakam, John Rzeznik of the Goo Goo Dolls, Robbie Robertson and Shaggy. A third spot combines the talents of Seal, Alanis Morissette and Macy Gray.

"This campaign is about the true meaning of the holidays, about giving and sharing of yourself," said Peter Hempel, executive vice president, Gap marketing. "Now more than ever, this message resonates with all of us."

According to Hempel, the campaign extends beyond traditional commerce. Gap, the artists and the songwriters came together to give in ways most meaningful to them. The company made a charitable donation on behalf of each of the celebrities featured in the television ads to the charity of their choice. Charities included many different organizations, from women's and children's services and shelters to September 11-related funds. In addition, Gap and Supertramp together donated money to the Uniformed Firefighters Association Widows' and Children's Fund.

The campaign includes three 30-second ensemble spots and six special edition solo performances, which will appear in network and spot markets. The spots debut on November 18, and will appear on shows such as West Wing, ER, Ally McBeal, 24, NYPD Blue, The Practice, Alias, X-Files and Boston Public. The commercials also will air in Canada beginning November 22, in the U.K. starting December 1, and in Japan beginning December 3.

The Gap holiday campaign also includes print ads featuring a broad range of artists and celebrities, including the cast of the Broadway hit musical, The Producers, the casts of De La Guarda and Merce Cunningham Dance Group, and actors such as Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Kate Capshaw with daughter Jessica. The global, integrated campaign further extends to outdoor, gap.com and Gap's windows and in-store environment, all unified under the "Give Your Gift" theme.

The TV and print campaigns were created in partnership with Boston-based advertising agency Modernista! The spots were directed by Paul Hunter in association with music producer Mike Simpson and HSI Productions. The print campaign was photographed by Christian Witkin and Mario Sorrenti.

Since its founding in 1969, Gap has provided its customers with clothes and accessories that enhance personal style. What began as one brand has now expanded to include Gap, GapKids, babyGap and GapBody. In addition, customers in the U.S. can shop the Gap Online Stores at gap.com gapkids.com and babygap.com. By providing great style and value and taking an innovative approach to all aspects of the shopping experience, Gap has evolved into one of the world's most recognized brands. Gap has stores in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Japan, France, and Germany.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Those are professional singers! :eek: I usually change channels, finding most of the "performances" in those GAP commercials annoying. Not sure what that says about my appreciation for singing, or their talent, but it can't be good...

Mark Lee

Second Unit
Lou Reed singing a Supertramp song in a Gap commercial ?

It's the end of the world as we know it.
If it had been him, it wouldn't have been the first time sweet Lou did some corporate shilling -- anyone remember those Honda scooter ads from the mid/late '80s, with an oh-so-cool Lou intoning, "Hey, don't settle for walkin'!" as his song "Walk on the Wild Side" plays in the background?

Rob_J

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone remember the Gap ads SNL did with the whole Clinton scandal? Those were pretty funny! :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks