What's new

The Game (1 Viewer)

ArthurFlew

Grip
Hi, first time poster. I just recently discovered your forum, and I must say I am enjoying it quite a bit so far. A lot of knowledgeable people here.

Anyway, to start off my first post, I was wondering if anyone had heard of a special edition release of the movie the Game, with Michael Douglas? David Fincher has some awesome sets for his other movies, and it would just be a shame for them not to release a better DVD for this wonderful movie.

Thanks in advance.

aRT

Justin Bauer

Supporting Actor
I have not seen anything announced.

There was a FALSE rumor about 2 years ago which had A Criterion Collection edition of The Game that would be similar to the Criterion Laserdisc.

Sadly, it was false.

I am a huge fan of this movie and refuse to buy the DVD until a nice special edition comes out. My Criterion Laserdisc version of the movie will hold me over. It is one of my most prized possessions.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I recently bought the bare-bones editions of "The Game" and "Bottle Rocket" so expect the Criterion announcements any day now ;)

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
I picked this disc up two years ago after the Criterion rumours proved false. Its a shame that its the only Fincher film not to receive the royal treatment, since its a great movie. Howard Shore's music is wonderful as usual, as well as the direction, cinematography and Douglas' acting.

While the current DVD has no extras, and lacks anamorphic enhancement, the 5.1 track is nicely done. If you can find one for around $10-15 it should be enough to hold you over for the eventual special editon.

ArthurFlew

Grip
I already have the barebones version, but having it sit next to his other movies, I can't help but feel sadness that it's the only one of his movies that has a crappy dvd. Let's hope we hear something soon.

BTW, who owns the rights for a DVD release for this movie?

David Brashear

Stunt Coordinator
Universal has the rights. They've loaned their movies to Criterion in the past, so a Criterion release isn't entirely out of the question.

Ricard Casselha

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not a religous man, but if you're out there, David Prior, hear our prayers!

;)

Seriously, I can't for the life of me understand WHY this movie hasn't recieved a worthy treatment. I mean, they made a Special Edition out of "Crossroads" for christsakes.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I been waiting for a long time for SE of The Game.

I have every other Fincher film out there except this one. I refuse to buy the current edition for reasons mentioned above.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
One of the things I wanted the Criterion LD for most was the 'alternate ending'. I spent hours thinking of all the wonderful possible endings that could exist..

But then I heard that the so-called 'alternate ending' was pretty poor, although I still don't know what it is.

Anyone with the Criterion LD care to comment?

Real Name
Charles de Lauzirika
Alternate Ending:

I haven't watched my Criterion LD in a while, but if I recall correctly, Nicholas Van Orton leaves the hotel where his CRS party took place and approaches the sidewalk. The hotel's doorman asks NVO if he would like a cab. NVO considers it a moment (as if contemplating whether or not The Game is still being played, also remembering his most recent taxi experience) and then says something like, "No thanks. I'll walk." He then walks off into the city, alone.

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
Thanks for the details on the alternate ending Charlie. Doesn't sound like a particularly radical change anyway!

I'd always imagined it would be something like Van Orton falling through the glass at the end, and there being no air-bags for him to fall onto.. or something.

Anyway! Thanks again, good to know.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The current discs are really bad (on a front projector) 4x3 lbxed non-anamorphic.

This title DESERVES a decent HD transfer and 16x9 DVD!!!!

DannyS

Second Unit
I wish this would be a criterion so so much! I love the movie and it really deserves this. Considering the high regard Fincher is held in now, and even Alien 3 has had a Special edition... I honestly believe its a matter of when not if.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I'd be all over a "The Game" SE. It is definitely one of my favorites of all time. I remember seeing this in the movie theater and my jaw was still on the floor 10 minutes after it ended. What a rollercoaster!

I couldn't help myself and picked up the current version. When I need to watch it, I just throw it on my non-HD monitor 32" TV and check it out. It usually tides me over for a while.

BTW, that alternate ending sounds lame!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks