What's new

The Future of Rock and Roll needs your help! (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Note: Parker Clack gave me permission to post this.

I know this is long, but please read it, especially if you are a fan of modern rock music.

Some of you may have heard of WOXY, formerly a terrestrial modern rock radio station that broadcast to the Cincinnati area and made famous by the movie Rain Man: "97X--BAM!--The Future of Rock & Roll." It has received constant praise since its inception in 1983 for its incredibly knowledgeable live DJs and wide variety of modern rock music. This is just some of the praise WOXY has received:

Best Internet Radio Station - PLUG Independent Music Awards, February 2005

One of the Top 5 "Best, Most Adventurous Internet Radio Broadcasters - Rolling Stone Magazine, May 2005

Best Independent Radio Station - Best of Citysearch 2001 Audience Winner, September 2001

"Recent national and local media coverage has elevated the site woxy.com further so that disenfranchised listeners around the world can now count on a choice that serves their needs: a truly Alternative station that foreshadows trends instead of riding them." - Virtually Alternative Magazine, May 2001

"Thanks to the Web, listeners have options... Popular stations such as WOXY-FM are now on the world's wavelength... E-mails are flowing in from elated listeners; one wrote that tuning in WOXY was like having Lassie come home." - USA Today Weekend Magazine, December 1998

The terrestrial broadcast, along with the webcast, ended in May 2004 after the owners, Doug and Linda Balogh, retired and sold off the station. However, WOXY was revived with an anonymous donation of $2 million and began a Internet-only broadcast in July 2004. The $2 million kept the future of rock and roll safe until now.

Three weeks ago, WOXY announced that they had failed to find enough advertisers to keep the station running for much longer, and started asking for subscribers and donations. From July 2004 until early February 2006, listeners of WOXY were given free access to two commercial-free independent Internet radio stations (WOXY and WOXY Vintage) with Internet streams as high as 64kbps. Now, for $9.95/month, subscribers get access to the two Internet radio stations mentioned beforehand at 128kbps, 15% off at online music retailer insound.com and more.

If you're one of those people that say, "all of the music made these days sucks," then you should give WOXY a listen. WOXY is still broadcasting both streams for free, but now at 24kbps. If you like what you hear, please donate or subscribe. If WOXY doesn't receive enough support, it may shut down forever in less than a month.

WOXY has introduced me to so much great new music that I probably would have never heard of otherwise. I don't ever want WOXY to go away, so please help if you can.

http://www.woxy.com/

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
that's too bad, they have a good playlist. i don't listen to enough radio to justify paying for a subscription.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks