1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Future of PERRY MASON (Season 6 & beyond)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Gary OS, Feb 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Please let me know what you think of the Mason book, Greg. I finished it and can't wait to go through it again.

This book said that CBS/P corrected the one edited episode (Fancy Figures in Season 2 Vol 1) in subsequent pressings. I had not heard that, but took a chance and ordered this on Amazon last week (it was down to $12) and sure enough this copy had the complete episode. Yay! (I'm know I'm obsessive to spend $12 for less than 80 seconds of footage :) )

Jim Davidson also had the production records for the series and each episode is detailed with the locations used, the year make and model of the cars shown, and the music played. I was pleased to find that there were only two instances where background music was replaced. Both are well known songs (Dream and Moonlight in Vermont). Since neither affected the plot or caused missing footage, it's a non-issue with me.

Darby67 and Greg Chenoweth like this.
  2. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Cinematographer

Any news on a possible Blu-ray release of the original CBS series or a DVD release for the 1973 New Adventures?

Darby67 likes this.
  3. Greg Chenoweth

Greg Chenoweth Supporting Actor

I am enjoying the book, Steve. It is really exhaustive and very detailed. I am deliberately skipping the synopsis on the episodes and the books because I'm going to start watching all of them again. I don't care about the cars and locations info but some people love this kind of thing. I am reading all of the notes on the books, radio shows, movies and episodes. I am only halfway through Season 1 at this point but it is very fascinating.

I was not aware that CBS did rectify the disc problem with the one episode, thanks for letting me know. I am looking forward to the last of the TV movie collection and then maybe, just maybe, they'll release the Monte Markham show to make the Perry Mason collection complete.

Darby67 likes this.
  4. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Steve:

I want to make sure that I have a copy of Season 2 Volume 1 with the full unedited version of The Case of the Fancy Figures; how long is the run time for the full unedited version of the episode?

Darby

5. Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence Supporting Actor

Dave
    Has anyone heard any news, rumors, etc. regarding the final set of 6 Perry TV movies - whether it's still a possibility/probability, or dead? The first set came out at the end of 2013, then the next 3 sets came out last year, with the most recent set released last October. It's hard to believe that we're so close to having all of the movies (as well as all of Burr's work as Perry when combining the movies and series) only to stall so close to the end. Are they too afraid that people won't want to buy it with Burr only in 2 of these final 6 movies?

I'd also be curious to see Monte Markham's The New Perry Mason series someday, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for that one.

Darby67 likes this.
  6. oldtvshowbuff

oldtvshowbuff Supporting Actor

James Beer
    Fox owns The New Perry Mason Series, because I've seen it over 40 years ago!

Darby67 likes this.
  7. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    bmasters9 and Steve...O like this.
  8. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    I'll be curious to see how the package looks: is it the 18 released bundled with a box or more compact (one case per season). If more compact and if the earlier seasons were upgraded from CC to SDH I may consider double dipping. If not, it's still a great deal for those buying for the first time or giving as a gift.

For those who are not aware Amazon is selling the bundled movie collection for under $40. A buck and change per movie. I'm glad I didn't buy the overpriced original releases. [emoji3]

Darby67 and bmasters9 like this.
  9. HunterMan

HunterMan Stunt Coordinator

Drew
    I saw that earlier today. It looks pretty cool...but I already have the complete series with the season DVD sets from before. I'm not gonna spend $200 for something I already have. ;) If someone is buying for the first time, it'd be awesome...but most die-hard fans are already going to have the show with the previous DVD releases. I'm not complaining at all...I just don't know how much $ they're really going to make with this "complete series" set?

Darby67 likes this.
  10. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Somehow I get the impression that this new condensed Mason release will be three big cases with three seasons' worth apiece, and the way I figure it, the math will work out this way:

First three seasons (1957-60): 25 discs
    Middle three seasons (1960-63): 23 discs
    Final three seasons (1963-66): 24 discs

Total number of discs: 72 discs containing all 271 outings, plus the scant bonuses that were on the 8-2 release (Law Day ad) and 9-2 release (condensed "Final Fadeout" comments from Barbara Hale)

Darby67, Steve...O and Flashgear like this.
  11. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor

Doug
    I guess this first packaging of seasons 1-3 is what Wal-mart is currently selling.

Darby67 likes this.
  12. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor

Doug
    I purchased the first three seasons in the combined set from WalMart last November with some early Christmas money. I was very pleased that I was able to get 95 episodes for $39.99 ($.42 per episode).

I have been slowly working my way through all of these. I am now completing the final disc of season 2 and am enjoying all aspects of the production. The stories, guest cast, courtroom histrionics and music all make these great fun to watch. I am recognizing some cues that were used in The Twilight Zone. Nice to hear the musical continuity between these early CBS shows (library music?).

Since I will soon be starting season 3, I am wondering if the later seasons will also be released in these separate three season sets? I sure hope so as I like getting these episodes at such a bargain price. Maybe season 4 - 6 will be available during this upcoming holiday season, I hope so :).

13. moviepas

moviepas Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

14. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor

Doug
    Wrapping up the third season. I still have not seen either of the EpikPaks with the rest of the seasons. I still wish that Season 4-6 pack was available. I see that WalMart has released the second set of 5-o and the second set of Gunsmoke so why no Perry Mason?

I am currently viewing Season 3 Episodes 17 -20. Still riding high with excellent casts and consistent storytelling. Stories include - 17 - TCOT Mythical Monkeys, 18 - TCOT Singing Skirt, 19 - TCOT Bashful Burro, 20 - TCOT Crying Cherub.

Starring: Beverly Garland (Decoy, My Three Sons), Louise Fletcher (Cuckoo's Nest, Deep Space Nine), Norman Fell (Three's Company), Joan O'Brien, H. M. Wynant, Henry Lascoe, Ben Wright, Ben Wright, Joe Maross, Abrahan Soafer, Mala Powers, David Lewis.

Such an amazing collection of guest stars with perpetually tight stories following the same general outline. The quality of the guest stars as well as the storytelling have always kept me enthralled. Gonna be sorry when this adventure comes to an end.

Jack K, Darby67, bmasters9 and 2 others like this.
  15. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Because there are so many seasons of Perry Mason and so many different cases, I find I don't remember the guilty parties in at least six out of ten shows that I rewatch. That makes this series a great investment since you can revisit them with pleasure and still play along with the mysteries.

16. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Yes, agree. With 271 episodes and consistent good quality across all seasons I can space out rewatchings and even if I've seen the epIsode multiple times it maintains a freshness. Even if I do know the ending the presence of a top notch guest cast keeps it enjoyable.

17. Vic Pardo

Vic Pardo Screenwriter

Brian Camp
    I bought the box set pictured in Post 293 from a local video store during its closing sale last May (right after Raymond Burr's centennial) and have been systematically going through it. I started Season 4 on the first of this new year.

I wrote about some of the Mason eps. I saw last year in my blog entry on "Great Moments in Classic Television from 2017":
    https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/2018/01/08/great-moments-in-classic-television-from-2017/

I wrote about buying the Mason set at the video store's closing sale in an earlier 2017 entry:
    https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/2017/09/04/the-last-video-store-in-the-bronx/

I wrote about Perry Mason in my entry on Raymond Burr's centennial, although at that point I only had the Season One box sets:
    https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/2017/05/21/raymond-burr-centennial/

[​IMG]

18. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor

Doug
    My local WalMart finally stocked the next mega pack of Perry Mason. I was able to pick up the season 4 -6 package. Same great quality of episodes and still tightly constructed mysteries performed by some of the best guest stars on tv.

So far I have seen Robert Redford, Philip Ober, Bert Freed, Russell Arms, William Campbell, Kenneth Tobey, Sue Randall, Harry Townes, Connie Hines, Arch Johnson, Alan Baxter and Wilton Graf. This is just in the first four episodes!!! Looking forward to continuing this.

19. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    Darby67, Flashgear and Jeff Flugel like this.
  20. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie

Flashgear and Darby67 like this.