The Future of HTPC's?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mike_Bauer, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Mike_Bauer

Mike_Bauer Extra

I would like to be able to turn an HTPC into an integral part of my Home Theater System. Ideally it should be able to replace a dedicated AV processor or AV Receiver (not too worried about AM/FM right now). Offering direct outputs to an amplifier(s) and display devices.

Why? I think the additional capabilities of a personal computer make it a very attractive option. Video scaling, Music and Movie Storage, Video recording, web access, video conferencing, and so forth.

Another reason, I think it will be easier to deal with the continued obsolescence of components. Right now I have pretty good components, I use Parasound equipment that is already obsolete and has had to be returned to the factory to get upgraded. Now I think being able to-do that is great, albeit expensive, and I am not knocking Parasound at all, it sounds great, switches beautifully, etc. I would have preferred to put a new card into my HTPC to accommodate the needed changes.

So, in a nutshell, my ideal HTPC would drive my display and amplifier and do everything else related to HT.

Any other ideas on the future of HTPC's

2. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

The future... let's see.

OTA High Definition TV tuning MPEG2 or any future codec.

DVD-A playback via digital connection.

Datacasting tuner.

Home multi-media server.

High Definition DVD player (whenever).

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

i think one thing that might hold back your dream of HTPC's are the DVD-A and SACD formats because they will possibly never be able to be played on a PC and an input for them would take up a significant amount of space. Also, they will probably never make an input card for them because allowing users to input into a computer would defeat their purpose of not using digital outputs.

4. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

I believe Audigy2 supports DVD-A via analog out...

Once the copy protection fobia relaxes a bit I think Cat5 or Firewire could support the bandwidth of MLP 5.1 digitally... maybe even USB2.

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Perhaps it does, but this guy was asking about using an HTPC as his pre/pro and taking it directly to an amp, so unless he could play the DVD-A or SACD on the PC it wouldn't do what he's looking for.

Although he may not even be interested in multi-channel music

6. Mike_Bauer

Mike_Bauer Extra

I am interested in multi-channel music and would like a device that you could also attach other components to. Take a look at M-Audio pro products. Not there yet but there is a glimmer of hope

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php

Again, I am looking for a more capable pre-pro, not just a computer based DVD player. Something that is designed to be upgraded, not replaced every couple of years

[​IMG]

7. Scott L

Scott L Producer

All I want is to be able to record QAM HD signals by copying the digital feed. More in the future I imagine more GUIs like MythTV and the like. Hopefully more interactive and responds to voice commands.

The Audigy 2 has been playing DVD-A for a while now, even comes with some sampler tracks. We got promises for the M-Audio Revo 7.1 when it was relased for future support but still nothing..

8. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

The future is going to be heavily copy protected. It doesn't favor software running on a PC or an open platform, it favors closed platforms, encryption, and tamper-proof "robust" interfaces.