http://www.imaspub.com/nabdaily/wed_..._tackles.shtml The TV analog spectrum giveback was a big topic of discussion. Just before the show, FCC Media Bureau Chief Ken Ferree detailed a proposal to reach the 85 percent TV audience threshold that triggers the analog giveback. Powell said his plan two years ago to move the DTV transition forward led to the push for mandatory digital tuners for TV sets. The commission has concerns about the 85 percent threshold, said Powell. "The law is muddy about what is the end," and how is the agency supposed to know whether every household, which has three to four TVs, has purchased a digital TV set, he asked. It is right for the Media Bureau to discuss how the 85 percent threshold is reached, Powell said, although he added a caveat that the Ferree plan "is not the final word." As for when the TV analog spectrum giveback actually begins, Powell said, "Forget 2006. The law is when they get to 85 percent." "If all we do is wait until all households -- all three and four TVs -- are digital ... we're waiting for 50 years and that's unacceptable." No one knows what to do about converting the remaining 15 percent of households that have analog-only over-the-air TVs, he said. Whether Congress could subsidize converter boxes for those households should be a part of the discussion, believes Powell. "All that should be in play." He cautioned broadcasters to remain nimble and be open to change as delivery systems grow to rival broadcastings in the future. He's been watching the rise of personal telecommunications, and uses his sons as an example of kids today who want their personalized devices with them at all times. "My kids look for mobility. They want their things to go with them." Switching to Internet improvements, he said, "You're going to have a problem if WiFi matches what broadcasting gives to people." He said a lot of industries want the spectrum broadcasters now have. As a spectrum manager, he has to balance the needs of all industries when it comes to allocation, he said. All of this is why the DTV transition is important, said Powell. "There has to be a plan, or the other things will happen to you -- fees or the government will yank it back." The top half of the article deals with the fight against "indecency".