What's new

The future of DTS? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Anthony
Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that the number of DTS soundtracks on releases has really declined this year. Personally, I prefer this format to DD5.1.

So is DTS being gradually phased out? And if so, why?

TonyDale

Second Unit
The new ULTIMATE BOND series features DTS tracks on all of the films, doesn't it? That's twenty new DTS tracks. . .

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I always use the DTS track, when available, and I've noticed very few DVDs having a DTS track in the last year or two. It's a shame, but understandable, because most customers probably aren't even aware of the difference, and don't care either.

Doug

David_P

Stunt Coordinator
With few exceptions, DTS tracks seem to be used for double/triple dips. There are exceptions, but not very many.

David

Real Name
Anthony

I'd agree except that one of the most alarming things was that MUNICH doesn't have a DTS track.

Oh shit - just heard Robert Altman died!

I've crapped my own thread, sorry.

Real Name
Anthony
Sorry about that. Bit of a shock.

Anyway - yes, all the Bond movies have DTS but that's one block of films and the exception. I think it's pretty undeniable that DTS seems to have fallen out of favour. Fox used to use it quite regularly for new releases. But isn't there some politics behind all this? George Lucas seems set against DTS and Warner Bros have sworn they'll never use it (though they broke this rule for the BATMAN set). What's going on? Is there some kind of concerted effort by members of the industry to kill it off?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't think that there's any conspiracy - I think the general public just sees it as redundant, and studios see it as something that takes up disc space that could be used for special features.

Billy Fogerty

Stunt Coordinator
Dts is really no great shakes over DD. In certain cases it might sound better, but that is very minimal. What about SDDS? Why hasn't that come to hometheater? Sony even uses DD on thier dvd's.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Out of curiosity, I looked back at my last 50 reviews to see how many offered DTS. Other than the two Bond titles I've posted to date, I found:

Reservoir Dogs
U2: Zoo TV Live from Sydney

And that's it! 4 of 50...

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I agree - As much as I prefer DTS, I'd rather have the space available for improved picture quality if it means sacrificing the DTS track. The fact that you need both the DTS and the DD track, means less space for picture quality and extras. And considering that almost all DTS discs also include DD5.1, that's even more space needed (which detracts from the picture, especially with these longer movies).

Too bad DD wasn't a requirement and studios could have just used DTS tracks without having to include DD, but since that didn't happen, I'm ok with the exclusion.

Ryan Wong

Stunt Coordinator
When was the last time you saw a movie with DTS in a cinema? I think the movies that release with DTS in cinemas are getting lesser and lesser now.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
One local multiplex near me is all DTS. I prefer the sound, and saw most of the big summer flicks there. By comparison, the Dolby equipped screens in the area have sound problems all the time, and I'm usually the only one who gets off my butt to complain!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Not around here, plenty of people take the extreme view, "No DTS, no sale". To the extent that the pirates actually encode a so-called DTS track and proudly display the DTS logo, even of DVDs that never had a DTS track, which probably means they took the decompressed DD track and re-encoded it into DTS. Yet J6P consumers see the DTS logo and think that the pirate disc is "better" than the original, which "doesn't even have a DTS track"... :rolleyes

lakshmant

Agent
yes that is startling thing,does it also reflect DTS loss of earnings in q3,anyway here in India,all bollywood movies have gone the DD route on DVD ,the regional films shows a strong affinity for DTS and DTS does make the sale for many people,a DTS track on DVD does sell a disc here in my place though.

lets hope dts does something to get back on track it is being sidelined,or have the die hard audio lovers of home theater stopped bothering about the fact of having DTS in DVD.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

It depends on the theater you frequent. All movies are available in the three major fomats, it just depends on the decoder they bought years ago I can't think of any reason for a theater to have more than one format in a single auditorium.

The theater I frequent chose SDDS and Dolby for their auditoriums, so it depends on which auditorium they have a movie in as to which format I hear.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Sony's official line is that SDDS is a theatre-only system, and that the logistics of trying to bring 8-channel into the home theatre environment preclude it from being a home format anytime soon, if ever. You can read more about that at www.sdds.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks