What's new

THE FURY An Oddity In Extra Features (1 Viewer)

Mark Hammon

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone else actually check out the "extras"?
Under the still gallery there is an entry that says: "Behind The Scenes" (using the plural form) and yet there is only one image?
The icing on the cake is the trailers for both THE FLY's. Neither has audio (at least on my system). Anyone else have this too?

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
Well, it was behind the "scenes" of the film, I guess.
My FLY trailers have audio, but I was kind of confused by the extras as well-- there are some weird foreign posters (what's with the odd French one?) but no picture of the U.S. one-sheet?
The film itself looks pretty good except for some really grainy scenes which make the rear-projection driving sequences with Kirk Douglas look even more fake than before.
And anyone else catch the very young Dennis Franz and Darryl Hannah?

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
"And anyone else catch the very young Dennis Franz and Darryl Hannah?"
Laura Innes (Carrie Weaver on ER) is one of her classmates too.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Yes, the presentation of the "Still Gallery" on The Fury is very strange. There are other sections with only one image, notably the "Outtake" section, which has a still image from what looks like an extended ending (it shows Gillian leaving the bedroom where the film's explosive conclusion takes place).
I've had an almost irrational affection for this film ever since I first saw it theatrically. (The theater in which I saw it happened to be located in the Water Tower mall in Chicago, which is where Peter and Hester have an elaborately staged rendezvous involving escalators and a glass-enclosed elevator.) I've previously owned it on videoape (Betamax!) and LD, and I'm pretty sure this is the first time it's ever been presented in OAR. Fox's new transfer is good enough to pick up all the flaws of the source material (you're right, Mark C.; the process shots are terrible) and to restore some of the raw power to the film's most famous set pieces (Robin's revenge on Susan is now as gruesomely over-the-top as I remember it from the theater).
DePalma was offered this script after the unexpected success of Carrie because of the obvious overlap in subject matter. He said at the time that he took the project because he wanted to try his hand at action sequences. I think he must have recognized from the outset that the story was pure hokum, and that freed him to experiment with style to a degree beyond anything he's done since. How many directors today would have the inspiration to shoot Gillian's escape from the Institute -- a highly kinetic scene featuring gunshots, screams and car crashes -- entirely in slow motion and with muted sound effects?
And anyone else catch the very young Dennis Franz and Darryl Hannah?
Yeah, Dennis Franz had a lot more hair and lot less belly! :) Another oddity about The Fury is its John Williams score, which is much grander and more melodramatic (in a good way) than the usual DePalma soundtrack.
I still remember the late Pauline Kael's glowing review of The Fury. She compared it to Orson Welles' The Lady from Shanghai, and it's not a bad analogy. They're both examples of "B" movie trash elevated to art. Compliments to Fox for giving us such a fine presentation of this cult classic!
M.
P.S. I had no trouble getting audio on the various Fly trailers.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
But can anyone find a young James Belushi in this film?
Spoiler:He's an extra during Gillians first scene. He's walking on the left side of the screen in what looks like a pair of cut off jeans. He was very easy to spot when I saw this in the theater last May.
Neil
------------------
"Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

Mark Hammon

Stunt Coordinator
After reading that other's trailers had audio I decided to play the disc in my computer and I have audio.
I have a Pioneer 414 that has served me for 3 years without any of the problems others have had with other brand of players. This is the first time I've had something like this happen. The ALIEN and OMEN trailers have sound but the two FLY trailers did not (at least with my 414).
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks