What's new

The Fugitive: Season 4 Vol. 2 (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Tor1

Gary:

Got my FUGITIVE Season 1 sets today, did exactly as you suggested – and am glad I did!

Both “Fear in a Desert City” and “The Girl from Little Egypt” were excellent – and, if these are representative, I can see why you and the others think so highly of Season 1.

As you might expect, the primary reason I am grateful for your suggestion, Gary, is that (great as it was) I was expecting something MORE from “Fear”. The series of the sixties may have never had true “finales” (THE FUGITIVE and possibly VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA excepted), but they ALL had very specific “establishing” (opening) episodes.

Think of it… VOYAGE, LOST IN SPACE, TIME TUNNEL, THE INVADERS, even certain sitcoms like GILLIGAN’S ISLAND and McHALE’S NAVY all established their premise, rules, and even their “universe” (if you will) in their premiere episodes… yet “Fear in a Desert City” played as if it could have been plucked out of mid-season.

I’d never want to be subject to spoilers, and hope I’m not inadvertently revealing something (at least something that wasn’t already implied by previous posts), but “The Girl from Little Egypt”, within its story context, delivered exactly what I was hoping for from the premiere episode. Clearly, Gary, that was your intent!

Thanks to you, Gary – and to Steve, Brad, Jack, Harry, and all for piquing my interest in one of the great shows of the sixties.

I’m open to recommendations on “episodes to skip directly to”, as long as they contain no spoilers. I’ll be enjoying this series over a good period of time.

Joe T.

Joe, I think you are fine to just go in order at this point. I believe almost every episode in the first season is top notch and would just say go forward from episode #2 on. I will say that some personal favorites from S1 include:

Never Wave Goodbye, Pts. 1 & 2

See Hollywood and Die

Fatso

Nightmare at Northoak

Terror at High Point

Home is the Hunted

Come Watch Me Die

Bloodline

Search in a Windy City

Angels Travel on Lonely Roads, Pts. 1 & 2

Flight from the Final Demon

Somebody to Remember

The End Game

See, I have a hard time even narrowing them down. Heck, I love pretty much every episode in this 1st Season. There are a couple that might be just a tad bit "slow" (by Fugitive standards), but darned if I don't enjoy every episode.

Gary "please keep us informed as you go forward and give us your thoughts on each episode after you watch it" O.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Originally Posted by Charles Thaxton

Kimble is the bigger man for his forgiveness...Gerard owed Kimble his life several times over. He was just doing his job & his duty as a cop.

That's the beauty of the scene and the way Janssen played it. You can see that he has to think about it and that it is difficult for him to extend, but he does. And in the final episode, he did help Kimble find the truth.

Joe: I know what you mean about the establishing episode, but the first Fugitive got right to what the show was about, which they couldn't have done at all if they had to stage the murder, the trial, and the escape. This episode got us right into Kimble's life on the run and his survival strategy. The establishment parts were the fine discussions Gerard had with the Captain and Kimble's great confession to Monica, along with the train opening. Little Egypt, the flashback show, works just as well if you watch it in order.

I'm kind of jealous that you are getting to discover these great episodes for the first time. There is nothing in Season 4 that compares to Nightmare At Northoak, Search In A Windy City, Never Wave Goodbye or Angel's Travel On Lonely Roads. Please do write more as you watch this season.

Steve L.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by stevelecher

Joe: I know what you mean about the establishing episode, but the first Fugitive got right to what the show was about, which they couldn't have done at all if they had to stage the murder, the trial, and the escape. This episode got us right into Kimble's life on the run and his survival strategy. The establishment parts were the fine discussions Gerard had with the Captain and Kimble's great confession to Monica, along with the train opening. Little Egypt, the flashback show, works just as well if you watch it in order.

I'm kind of jealous that you are getting to discover these great episodes for the first time. There is nothing in Season 4 that compares to Nightmare At Northoak, Search In A Windy City, Never Wave Goodbye or Angel's Travel On Lonely Roads. Please do write more as you watch this season.

Steve L.

Steve:

Since I've enjoyed Season 4 -- "Joshua's Kingdom" (especially), "Wine is a Traitor", A Clean and Quiet Town", "Approach with Care", and "Right in the Middle of the Season" (where I stopped to begin Season One) being standouts -- I'm expecting to really enjoy these recommendations.

I'm guessing I can skip to these with no harm done, given the episodic nature of the series... I kinda liked it better when things were "that way".

Joe T.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
There is nearly no "story arc" kind-of continuity in THE FUGITIVE. Any episode of any season can be viewed in just about any order. Exceptions to that are the finale, which is obviously the last episode; the second episode with Eileen Heckart ("The Breaking Of The Habit" in season 4) is better understood if viewed after the "Angels Travel Lonely Roads" two-parter from season 1.

Mention of Kimble's father passing away is part of the chronological fabric of the show, but his brother Ray just seems to disappear after one appearance (though the actor, Andrew Prine, appeared as a different charactter later on). Continuity wasn't all that important as far as minor characters went. Gerard's son and wife were both played by different actors at different times, just as brother-in-law Len Taft was played by three different actors. Captain Carpenter just sort of disappeared in the later episodes with no explanation.

Naturally there's an age factor, which astute fans here have noticed and noted. Kimble ages during the process of the show and it's most notable in the fourth season as he seems to slow down and be a bit more weary, even if it was unconsciously. There are also little time-clues sometimes given by William Conrad's narration ("...now ten months a fugitive.") that became less frequent as the series went on, but these don't generally have any bearing on the story of the hour.

Basically, the producers of the show were interested in once a week, presenting an hour of television with a good story, giving viewers the premise with the opening credits narration, and proceeding to the conclusion of the story of the week while leaving open-ended the Kimble-on-the-run story.

The suggestion to watch 'Fear In A Desert City" and "The Girl From Little Egypt" first are sound, but really, after that, almost any order will do, including the natural, aired order.

Harry

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Joshua's Kingdom is a very good episode and could have been done in season two or three. Many of the other season four episodes are shadows of what came before. Enjoy!

Steve L.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Harry and Steve:

I’m a veteran of those great days of the sixties, so I REMEMBER The Fugitive’s beginning – the train, and William Conrad speaking slower and with less comedic hyperbole than on Rocky and his Friends / The Bullwinkle Show. But, the opening train wreck (which I saw every week) was my signal to go up to bed. Every time the train would tip, I’d have to totter up the steps.

Thus, I know that, except for rare instances of recurring characters like Harry Mudd, Dr, Loveless, Mr. Pem, Zumdish, etc., TV episodes of that era are easy to watch in any order. And, honestly, I like that better. Just try introducing someone to LOST or FRINGE (two of my modern faves), without submerging them in “The Whole History”!

So, I skipped ahead to “Never Wave Goodbye” and “Nightmare At Northoak” and yes, I see what you mean. Gerard was more heavily involved (“Ahab-ian obsession”, if you will) at this early time, than he is in Season 4. Both episodes had interesting exchanges between Gerard and Kimble. And Gerard seems ready to move Heaven and Earth at a moment’s notice, when he gets even an inkling of Kimble’s possible location. Like me, Kimble questions why he never simply gives up. No more, in case of inadvertent spoilers.

And, like David Vincent after him, Richard Kimble had an uncanny ability to travel vast distances in relatively short periods of time – and on many different modes of transport. Kinda like the way they instantly travel from Boston to New York on FRINGE!

Never Wave Goodbye” must have been one of the very first two-parters on TV. I know there was a three-part ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS, and later there would be two-parters on LOST IN SPACE, STAR TREK, MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E., etc. But I can’t think of many that preceded those. “Never Wave Goodbye” would certainly be one of a select few.

Continued thanks for the suggestions and insights.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Joe:

Thanks for writing. Though Never Wave Goodbye is a two parter, either episode can be viewed on its own, enjoyably. The first episode I ever saw, at age 10, was part two of Never Wave Goodbye and I never even knew about part one. After this I too had quite a struggle getting my mom to let me stay up until 10 this one weeknight to watch this great show. I had to get right to bed at ten when it was over and had to get up the next morning without complaint and with cheer. I did.

The second two parter of the year, "Angels Travel On Lonely Roads," has to be watched as a two parter (if that makes any sense.)

There will be some intensity from Gerard in Season 4 but he was used more sparingly, it seems to me. I don't think the difference from Season 1 to four has as much to do with Gerard's intensity as with Kimble's. How about his pleading with Mrs. Springer for his life; that was a great scene and he was terrific.

Did the music on Season one episodes you've seen so far impress you? I think it's terrific in adding to the mood.

Funny to be dissecting all these season one episodes in a thread about season four, but I like it and I hope you will write more about your impressions of these episodes. Thanks...

Steve L.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia

How about his pleading with Mrs. Springer for his life; that was a great scene and he was terrific.

Did the music on Season one episodes you've seen so far impress you? I think it's terrific in adding to the mood.

Funny to be dissecting all these season one episodes in a thread about season four, but I like it and I hope you will write more about your impressions of these episodes.

Yes, that and [COLOR= #ff0000](SPOILERS !!!!!!) [/COLOR]the townspeople's actions at the end made "North Oak" a great one! So did Gerard's utter recklessness in "Goodbye"

The music is just fine -- right now! Though, I've been "conditioned" (with good reason, if they use synths) to fear what's coming. Hope S4 enthusiasts don't mind these digressions.

Charles Thaxton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Charles Thaxton

Joe:

Thanks for writing. Though Never Wave Goodbye is a two parter, either episode can be viewed on its own, enjoyably. The first episode I ever saw, at age 10, was part two of Never Wave Goodbye and I never even knew about part one. After this I too had quite a struggle getting my mom to let me stay up until 10 this one weeknight to watch this great show. I had to get right to bed at ten when it was over and had to get up the next morning without complaint and with cheer. I did.

The second two parter of the year, "Angels Travel On Lonely Roads," has to be watched as a two parter (if that makes any sense.)

There will be some intensity from Gerard in Season 4 but he was used more sparingly, it seems to me. I don't think the difference from Season 1 to four has as much to do with Gerard's intensity as with Kimble's. How about his pleading with Mrs. Springer for his life; that was a great scene and he was terrific.

Funny to be dissecting all these season one episodes in a thread about season four, but I like it and I hope you will write more about your impressions of these episodes. Thanks...

Steve L.

Gerard got pretty intense in the finale when questioning Johnson in the interrogation room...I think by season 4 he was beginning to doubt himself about Kimble

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

So, I skipped ahead to “Never Wave Goodbye” and “Nightmare At Northoak”...

Joe, those are two of the very best stories of the first season so let me offer this bit of advice to you: be careful that you don't just watch the "very best of the very best" episodes first because I fear that might set the expectations too high for all the rest of the episodes. I'm afraid that episodes that are actually really good, but not outstanding, might let you down because you've feasted on the cream right off the bat. I'd have encouraged you to hold off on "Nightmare at Northoak" and watch it only as it came in order. That episode has got to be one of the Top 5 of the season, along with the two-parter, "Never Wave Goodbye." I just don't want you to think every episode is going to be that outstanding. My advice is that you go ahead and watch "The Witch" and "The Other Side of the Mountain" before watching any of the other episodes I mentioned previously. See how those hit you and report back. If both are huge letdowns then you've probably had your expectations raised to an unreasonable level.

I also kinda hate that you saw Johnson in Season 4 already. One of the very best scenes of the entire series is near the end of "Search in a Windy City." I won't say what the scene is (NO SPOILERS from me) but I'm kinda bummed you've already been exposed to a Kimble/Johnson scene. Try and go through the first season in order from this point forward - at least that's my advice.

Gary "and please keep us informed of your thoughts as you go forward" O.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
Originally Posted by Gary OS

So, I skipped ahead to “Never Wave Goodbye” and “Nightmare At Northoak”...

Joe, those are two of the very best stories of the first season so let me offer this bit of advice to you: be careful that you don't just watch the "very best of the very best" episodes first because I fear that might set the expectations too high for all the rest of the episodes. I'm afraid that episodes that are actually really good, but not outstanding, might let you down because you've feasted on the cream right off the bat. I'd have encouraged you to hold off on "Nightmare at Northoak" and watch it only as it came in order. That episode has got to be one of the Top 5 of the season, along with the two-parter, "Never Wave Goodbye." I just don't want you to think every episode is going to be that outstanding. My advice is that you go ahead and watch "The Witch" and "The Other Side of the Mountain" before watching any of the other episodes I mentioned previously. See how those hit you and report back. If both are huge letdowns then you've probably had your expectations raised to an unreasonable level.

I also kinda hate that you saw Johnson in Season 4 already. One of the very best scenes of the entire series is near the end of "Search in a Windy City." I won't say what the scene is (NO SPOILERS from me) but I'm kinda bummed you've already been exposed to a Kimble/Johnson scene. Try and go through the first season in order from this point forward - at least that's my advice.

[/QUOTE]
Very Good post from Gary O. I will add The Witch may be one of the weakest entries in the first season so that will balance things out.

Steve L.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Very Good post from Gary O. I will add The Witch may be one of the weakest entries in the first season so that will balance things out.

Steve L.

Gary and Steve:

I not only see your point, but anticipated it. I wanted to see how great THE FUGITIVE could be at its best – and then slide back into a normal run of Season One, after going 2/3 through Season 4 Volume 1.

Actually, I watched “The Witch” in the quiet hour I have in the morning before work!

No, not as impactful as the other two – but not nearly as weak as billed!

A disturbed little girl can be a very dangerous thing! My favorite Land of the Giants is “Ghost Town” because it featured a very disturbed and very dangerous little girl. An unusual antagonist for an Irwin Allen series, to say the least.

I’ll continue to enjoy S1 for some time to come. I certainly expect to complete the series over time, music issues be damned.

And, didn’t we see Johnson in the flashbacks of “Girl from Little Egypt”? We know WHO the suspect is – by sight, anyway. It only adds that that hunter and hunted would cross paths at times, over 4 seasons. I’m REALLY looking forward to the series finale! PLEASE, NO SPOILERS from anyone reading this! I want to be surprised by every moment!

This thread has made a fan of me!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

And, didn’t we see Johnson in the flashbacks of “Girl from Little Egypt”? We know WHO the suspect is – by sight, anyway. It only adds that that hunter and hunted would cross paths at times, over 4 seasons.

I certainly will not spoil anything (and I'm a bit disappointed that a few posts on this page have been too casual in their descriptions because they are being spoilers a little bit when you've made it clear you don't want that). I agree with you that "The Witch" gets a bad rap from many Fugitive fans. I don't know why as I've always enjoyed the episode. No, it doesn't rise to the level of "Never Wave Goodbye" or "Nightmare at Northoak", but I've always thought it was a solid episode. In fact, I think I like it better than the episode that followed it, but I know most fans will have a hissy fit over me saying that so I won't go into detail as why I feel that way.

Joe, you are correct that we see Johnson in the flashbacks during "Girl in Little Egypt", but that's the only thing we've seen of him up to "Search in a Windy City." I can't say any more than that without getting spoilery, but once you see that episode I'll come back in and tell you why I thought it was so powerful and I had wished you could have seen the episode before the S4 episode with Johnson.

Gary "take care and keep enjoying the greatest TV show of all time (IMHO)" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Joe, I'm sort of in the same position, I'm watching this show for the 1st time on DVD. I'm about done with S3 now. "Search...City" is indeed a classic ep along with "Nightmare at Northoak". This series is now tied as my #1 overall show.

Spoilers, yeah, I know what you mean there. I usually scan this thread and if I see a potential spoiler post I'll skip past it but I know that we're in the minority as far as not having seen this show previously so I understand the spoiler stuff here.

Have fun with this viewing ride. It's a sure hit show.

Thanks to Gary, I got plugged into this one a couple of years ago. I was around when this show originally aired but was a little young for that type of show back then. I knew about the series but missed it over the years in syndication.

Joe Tor1

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Torcivia
Jeff:

That’s exactly what I love about TV on DVD. I can catch up with things I missed – and see them better then original broadcasts (depending on when the original show was made) and complete (as opposed to syndication).

There are new things like THE FUGITIVE and ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS, things that I haven’t seen in decades like THE INVADERS and THE OUTER LIMITS, and things I saw all the time like VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA, LOST IN SPACE, TWILIGHT ZONE, and STAR TREK TOS.

That’s why I try to avoid spoilers at all cost. Here, on my Blog, or anywhere. There’s always someone seeing it for the first time. A good guideline is not to reveal anything more than an old TV GUIDE synopsis would have – unless preceded by a large and noticeable “Spoiler Warning”!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Even though I didn't see the show when it aired (born in '65 so that wasn't an option for me) and also didn't see it in the 70's or early 80's as a kid and teenager, I did finally see the series when A&E was running it in the early 90's. I know the station was running it in the mid and late 80's but I didn't even have cable TV until 1990 (college & marriage were first priorities when it came to my finances in those days).

Anyhow, I said all that to say this: I'm so glad I was able to watch the series and be unspoiled all the way through it. I just happened to start watching right at the beginning and was able to watch all the way till the end. It was really nice and I'm not sure any show has captivated me like that one did. My wife and I both were riveted as we watched week in and week out, and when "Search in a Windy City" came on and we saw that one it was very, very powerful for us. Like I said before, Joe, it might lose a little zing for you because you happened to see a couple of Season 4 episodes first. But I'm hoping this huge, powerful moment will not be lost on you near the end of that episode. It still sends chills down my spine every time I watch it.

Gary "I'm going to start watching the series again with my teenage daughters, from the beginning, in either March or early April" O.

stevelecher

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
The one armed man was very elusive through three seasons of The Fugitive. If he was in it, it was a special episode. Saw a lot more of him in season 4, but the show was a little different that season. Search In A Windy City is a very good episode.

Steve Lecher

66KIMBLE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick T
Though scriptwise the first three seasons are the strongest, the episode that got me hooked was THE BLESSINGS OF LIBERTY ,a "run of the mill" episode from the fourth season .It shows how strong the series is.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched season 4's Joshua's Kingdom the other night, and that episode could have been taken from current events. (A fundamentalist couple in Pennsylvania were recently sentenced for not providing medical care to their child, who died as a result.) Watching it, I thought it would be tough to get this kind of story on TV now, with as much sensitivity as there is about religious issues, so I have to think it wasn't that easy 45 years ago.

I have an unrelated question to anyone who watched the show in its original run (or who knows the answer): Why did the series finale air months after the series, in the summer? The finale was in late August, which is as dead a time as there is for TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks